SuperLeigh1875

Graphics Tablet with the pi?

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:30 pm

Would it actually be possible to do this? Not sure if anyone has tried it but i'm just wondering the length of how useful my pi could actually be :D !

tufty

Re: Graphics Tablet with the pi?

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Of course. You'd need a tablet with /open source/ linux drivers (serial wacom tablets are do-able, for example, if you have the requisite usb-serial adaptor). With a bit of work you could bitbang an interface to an ADB ultrapad / artz tablet (I'm currently working on decrypting the protocol used by the ADB intuos tablets, it's - non-trivial). Don't know much about the non-wacom tablets apart from "they're usually a bit cack", but at a guess they should work as HID devices at least.

Simon.

ElB

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Not tried it, but there's an armel package for Wacom tablets...

http://packages.debian.org/search?suite ... ords=wacom

NiTTaKu

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:07 am

I'm trying to make a Wacom bamboo Pen & touch and it gets recognised but doesn't seem to get any input I throw at it, need to try other things like recompiling modules

NiTTaKu

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:52 pm

NiTTaKu wrote:I'm trying to make a Wacom bamboo Pen & touch and it gets recognised but doesn't seem to get any input I throw at it, need to try other things like recompiling modules
I'm trying to USE a wacom bamboo, dunno what I was thinking :lol:

Thimbleberry

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:16 am

Was thinking about trying it with a 12W Cintiq. Anyone have any experiences with this?

tttp

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:07 am

Hi,

Got one that works fine on a "normal" laptop on linux using the open source drivers.

Will get a pi in 6 weeks time (or so I hope). Anyone that did get the tablet working on the pi?

portets

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:29 am

Not that I know of. I have the same issue as NiTTaKu. Installed the driver, it's recognized, but no input.

embeddedsys

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:06 pm

http://packages.debian.org/search?suite ... ords=wacom

That's for armel: package architecture (armel) does not match system (armhf)

Any improvements with raspberry pi + wacom bamboo ?

edit: Installed the wacom packages via apt-get but the device is not found. Only detected via lsusb but nowhere else.

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude search wacom
i A libwacom-common                 - Wacom model feature query library (common 
p   libwacom-dev                    - Wacom model feature query library (develop
i   libwacom2                       - Wacom model feature query library         
p   libwacom2-dbg                   - Wacom model feature query library (debug f
i   xserver-xorg-input-wacom        - X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver    

royleith

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:02 pm

As you say, the Wacom Bamboo is detected as a USB device, but is not installed as an HID device. The key driver, wacom.ko, is missing from the drivers folder.

The way to get this is to download the latest version of linux wacom (linuxwacom-0.9.5.tar.bz2) and to compile it. However, the raspi ARM kernel headers are also required.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.2.0-3-rpi

'Extract Here' and open the resulting folder with the file manager. Tools/Open Current Folder in Terminal.

The configure script needs to be told where the kernel src files are,
sudo ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-3-common

That's as far as I get. the configure script reports no ncurses, but that is installed. It refuses to create wacom.o which is the necessary precursor to wacom.ko.

I hope that the current xorg wacom drivers will be just fine if we can just get the wacom.ko driver created. Once the Wacom is working we can then worry about xsetwacom to configure it correctly.

Regards, Roy Leith

royleith

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:11 am

Having spent many hours with configuring and making, I came across a bug report saying that :
"
> since 3.2 is the long-term support kernel that will be in Wheezy, it
> would be great if the wacom driver from 3.3 could be backported to 3.2,
> so users can make use of contemporary hardware, eg. this device:
>
> New USB device found, idVendor=056a, idProduct=00de

The commit to backport is

$ git log --stat -S0xDE -- drivers/input/tablet/wacom_wac.c
commit 73149ab8433c
Author: Chris Bagwell <[email protected]>
Date: Wed Oct 26 22:34:21 2011 -0700
"

So, I suspect the mission wacom.ko driver is still waiting for the backport to be made to Wheezy.

Roy Leith

pishark

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:48 am

I'm pretty sure Linux comes with tablet drivers, but I don't think it's the same with Raspbian. :?

SimPiko

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:14 pm

What is needed now (as of 5th June 2013) to make Wacom graphics tablets working under Raspbian?
afaik on Fedora they're working fine -_-

renenijman

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:00 pm

I would really like to know this as well. I've been trying to get my wacom pen tablet to work with my raspberry pi, but to no avail.
I do not even need it to recognize pressure or clicks, I would really like to just be able to read it's coordinates. Would it be possible to somehow get to it's raw data stream, so I could parse it?

stuporglue

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:08 pm

I've also got a Wacom tablet I'd like to get working with the Pi.

Posting here to get notified of replies.

freeloader

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:25 pm

I've been watching this subject for a while, I've got the same issue Wacom Bamboo not working in Raspbian nor any of the OS's based on it (Bodhi, Pibang and the like).
I tried a web search for instructions on how to backport the drivers from kernel 3.3 to 3.2 and came up with the following result

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=671801

I read through it and it appears that they did make changes regarding the backport and consider the bug closed.

Didn't find any help re backporting them myself though.

I've no idea how to raise a new bug report with Debian but maybe that's what needs to be done so that they can sort the armhf/raspbian bug out??

Any ideas.....

jason235

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Das wäre richtig toll wenn das einfach umzusetzen wäre. würde es gerne als digitales whiteboard benutzten aber bekomme mein wacom nicht zum Laufen. Irgendwelche Updates?

stephdeville

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:54 am

Hi everybody,

I've been following this post since few weeks now and tried a lot of things without success. I'm not an expert but I can follow instructions and howtos.

Did anybody here could use a wacom tablet on the RPi? If so, we all, will be grateful if you can post here how to get the wacom tablet working on our RPis.

Thanks

CraigV

Fri May 30, 2014 5:23 am

I just bought a Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch hoping to use it with Raspberry Pi's for grandkids, but it appears that I am in the same boat as the others here looking for wacom.ko. Is there any more recent information since November, 2013?

lcww1

Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:26 pm

I don't like to see queries on these forums go unanswered, and in common with others here I've been trying to get an old Wacom Bamboo tablet working with my Pi.

I was really hoping to get the tablet working with the wonderful TuxPaint (http://www.tuxpaint.org - install under Raspbian: sudo apt-get install tuxpaint tuxpaint-data tuxpaint-stamps) program to allow my daughter to draw using the Pi as she's too young to be able to manipulate a mouse. I think these small and inexpensive Wacom tablets are potentially ideal to allow younger children to use the Pi.

Well, I'm pleased to report that I've been able to get the Wacom Bamboo tablet working as a USB HID device on the Pi under Raspbian. The tablet now works really well with TuxPaint on the Pi. The software you need comes from the very complete Linux Wacom Tablet project on SourceForge (http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... /Main_Page).

The crux of getting a Wacom tablet working on the pi is compiling and installing the Linux Wacom Project kernel driver for the pi. I found everything I needed to know about getting this done on notro's GitHub rpi-source project (https://github.com/notro/rpi-source/wiki).

Here are the steps that I followed to get the Wacom Bamboo working under Raspbian with kernel version 3.12.28+ - no doubt there are improvements and simplifications that could be made to this process, but by following the steps below, you should end up with a working Wacom tablet!

Firstly, install the Wacom code from the Raspbian repositories (these seem to lack the necessary linux kernel driver, which has been the source of people's difficulties in getting these tablets working as HID devices):

sudo apt-get install libwacom-common libwacom-dev libwacom2 xserver-xorg-input-wacom
I'm not actually sure how much, or if any, of the above is actually needed, but I installed it all anyhow.

Now we need to install the linux headers in order to be able to compile a kernel module - use the 'uname -r' command to find your kernel version (3.12.28+ in my case), and then use the command below to installs the appropriate headers (you can see a list of the available headers by using the 'aptitude search linux-headers' command):

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.12
Next, install ncurses-dev (I think this is needed by rpi-source, which is used later to install the linux kernel source code):

sudo apt-get install ncurses-dev
We also need to install version 4.8 of gcc (you can check which version you have using the 'gcc --version' command)

sudo apt-get install -y gcc-4.8 g++-4.8
Now update the default gcc to version 4.8:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.6 20
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.8 50
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.6 20
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.8 50
Next, we need to get notro's amazing rpi-source utility from github:

sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/notro/rpi-source/master/rpi-source -O /usr/bin/rpi-source && sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/rpi-source && /usr/bin/rpi-source -q --tag-update
Now run the rpi-source utility to fetch and install the appropriate linux kernel source code:

sudo rpi-source
The rpi-source utility will install the linux kernel source into /root/linux, but the Linux Wacom Project code expects to find the source in /usr/src/linux, so I just made a symbolic link to deal with this:

sudo ln -s /root/linux /usr/src/linux
I found that I also needed to make the resulting directories readable:

sudo chmod 755 /root
sudo chmod 755 /root/linux
sudo chmod 755 /usr/src/linux
Now that we've got the linux-headers and kernel source code installed, we can download and compile the linux Wacom kernel driver. Use a web browser to navigate to http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwa ... put-wacom/ and download the latest input-wacom driver code from the Linux Wacom Tablet project SorceForge project (I used the input-wacom-0.23.0.tar.gz tar ball).

Once you've downloaded the driver source code, navigate on the command line to wherever you downloaded the code and unpack it, and enter the resulting directory:

tar xvf input-wacom-0.23.0.tar.gz
cd input-wacom-0.23.0/
From within the input-wacom-0.23.0 directory (or whichever version you've downloaded), build the driver code by using the following command:

./configure
if the configure script runs successfully, you'll find the magic 'wacom.ko' kernel driver within a directory named '3.7'. You now need to copy the wacom.ko kernel driver to the appropriate location for loading into your linux kernel:

sudo mkdir /lib/modules/3.12.28+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
sudo cp 3.7/wacom.ko /lib/modules/3.12.28+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
sudo depmod -a
Note that the location of the kernel drivers will depend on the version number of your linux kernel - as mentioned above, you can determine this version number by using the 'uname -r' command. As I mentioned above, my system is running Raspbian with linux kernel version 3.12.28+.

Now that the Wacom kernel driver has been copied to the correct location, you can load the kernel driver using the following command (or just reboot to achieve the same result):

sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.12.28+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
Now, if you've been working from the command line, start xwindows using the startx command, and you should find that you can use your Wacom tablet as a mouse substitute!

I hope this helps someone get their Wacom tablet working on their pi!
Last edited by lcww1 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CraigV

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:38 am

Thank you for the post. I was just thinking about the Wacom yesterday as I took one of my Pi's to some very appreciative grandkids, including one who is very skilled at art and the other who is interested in building things. On my next visit, when I deliver their B+, I should be able to show them the Wacom thanks to your efforts.

Edit: I followed Icww1's clear instructions without any problems (except needed to fix an obvious typo of libwamcom-common -> libwacom-common). Unfortunately, my remaining Pi is up on a tower as a critter cam so I can't test it with my tablet right now. The wacom.ko driver was created and wacom appeared when I did lsmod so I expect all is fine.

lcww1

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:01 pm

Great!

So glad this was useful to someone - do report success or failure once you've had a chance to test out the driver with you tablet.

Thanks for picking up the typo - I've edited the post to fix that as well as removing the unnecessary $ symbols to make pasting the commands to the command line easier.

mrKey

Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:16 pm

I've got it working on a Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid. Thank you for your detailed steps.

CraigV

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:25 pm

Thanks to the post by Icww1, I now can give the grandkids a Raspberry Pi B+ that works with the Wacom CTH-480 tablet. I put the following little script in ~/bin under the name updateWatcomModule to keep the module operating following minor Raspbian revisions. The script needs to be run after you have rebooted to the new version.

sudo mkdir /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
sudo cp /home/pi/Wacom/input-wacom-*/3.7/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe wacom
I hope a future major revision of Raspbian will include wacom.ko .

P500

Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Great post - have got this working for my son on his PI, he is delighted. Many thanks for sharing such detailed instructions :D

Return to “Polski”