Rhyvin

Assistance for a special needs children

Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:30 pm

I have an 8 year old son who is Autistic and we currently struggle with him for his school work. I am an IT professional and he enjoys watching me when I really get to work. I recently bought a Pi and I was wondering has anyone used a Pi to help special needs children learn easier, and if so how?

W. H. Heydt

Re: Assistance for a special needs children

Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:05 pm

Rhyvin wrote:I have an 8 year old son who is Autistic and we currently struggle with him for his school work. I am an IT professional and he enjoys watching me when I really get to work. I recently bought a Pi and I was wondering has anyone used a Pi to help special needs children learn easier, and if so how?
Background... My grandson (6) has "delayed expressive speech" and may be just on the top edge of the autism spectrum. (Mind you, this doesn't actually surprise me very much. I had a career as a programmer. one of my two sisters was a programmer, an interest in SF runs strongly among the lot of us, including my grandfather, my wife and daughter, and her husband. Some studies have indicated a correlation between high-tech and SF on one hand and high performance autism spectrum--e.g. Asperger's Syndrome--on the other.)

Depending on how he reacts to it, you might try him with Tux Paint. He might also like Tux Math. While I haven't tried it out on my grandson, there is also Minecraft for the Pi.

Rapha67

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:03 am

I know lots of famous people with aspergers and their success stories. So I think such special children should be treated in a different way that helps them to boost up their confidence.

rpiswag

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:16 am

This reminds me of me. I have very little friends but I can spend 8 to 10 hours a day programing on weekends and I love it! I enjoy it because there is almost no social interaction but spending this time programming I have learned html5, Java, Node, Python 3, Objective C and my newest language swift ( I am a apple developer at 14) Yay! I enjoy programing because it lets me express my self in code and that makes be happy when I am sad.
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

amolina

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:39 am

and see this, insight proyect in India, that people use Gcompris to help people with autism

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”