Threlkeld

Accessibilty limited vision

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:49 pm

My first reaction on powering up my Pi was that it had been developed by folk lucky enough to have 20:20 vision and large monitors. Which in my case I have not got.
I'm using Debian. Squinting at the screen I have discovered that if I right-click on the desktop and choose 'Desktop Preferences' I can choose a larger font size for labels.
If I right-click on the panel at the foot of the screen and choose 'Panel settings'/ Appearance I can increase the height of the panel and of the icons on it. (I also find it helps to reduce the width to 90% and centre the panel, but that's just me).
In LX Terminal right-clicking and selecting 'Preferences' again allows selection of a larger font size.
That's as far as I've got, but it has transformed my personal ease of use.
Now, how can I increase the font size displayed on boot-up, so that I can actually see that I have typed 'pi' as a login name?
And, ESPECIALLY, how can I increase the mouse pointer size? Preferably without cluttering the SD card with unwanted 'Themes'.
Personally, I think there should be a 'sticky' Accessibility forum topic. When you can hardly make out what is on the screen, you really need the answers to be easy to locate! ;)

yeeking

Re: Accessibilty

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Hello!

You can set the console font (i.e. the one you see before you run startx) by editing a config file:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/default/console-setup
I edited the fontface and fontsize setting as follows to get a much larger font:

Code: Select all

FONTFACE="TerminusBold"
FONTSIZE="32x16"
Needed a reboot ... perhaps it can be done without ...

I found this info here:
http://ncloy.co.uk/blog/?p=356

best

Matthew

Threlkeld

Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks Matthew, that's very useful to me. The larger font only appears part way through the boot-up sequence, but it is much easier to see.
From within the GUI, using the LXTerminal, it is possible to select a larger font size under 'Preferences'.
The mouse cursor is a bit more tricky. It is possible to select larger cursors from the LXDE menu (bottom-left, Preferences/Customise look & Feel/Mouse Cursor) but unfortunately no suitable cursors are included in the standard image.
Suitable cursors can be downloaded free from
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=67833
and adjacent pages
I use the 'Aero mouse extra large with drop shadow' cursor which downloads as a tar.gz file. Unfortunately I have experienced problems in unpacking files of this type. They can take a while to download, and it is well to be patient, but even so I had failures. In the end I downloaded and unpacked them on another machine running Lubuntu and then put them on to the Wheezy card I was using by mounting the card on the PC and moving the extracted folder to the correct folder on the card (usr/share/icons).

If you can get the tar file to unpack on your RasPi, the quickest way seems to be to put the folder to the pi directory and then move it using the command line.
sudo mv aero-extra-large-drop /usr/share/icons
Another way is to move it using the GUI File manager to copy it from the downloaded folder to /usr/share/icons It is necessary to select 'Open current folder as root' from the file manager Tools menu in order to obtain permission to write the new folder into the icons folder.
Either way, having placed the new folder (or folders if you have downloaded more than one cursor) into /usr/share/icons you then go back to the GUI Preferences//Customise look & feel/Mouse Cursor and select the one you want to use. You should see the eight versions of the chosen cursor in the preview window. It may be necessary to reboot to get the chosen cursor to appear.
I know that most users of the RasPi will have very good eyesight, but for the sake of those who are less fortunate I hope that thought will be given to improving accessibility in future releases. I've spent hours with my nose a few inches from the screen to get the settings in this thread. I'm an OAP and can afford the time, but I'd hate to think of someone having to do that before they could begin to try to catch up with the rest of the class. Even just a sticky forum summary could take the load off overworked teachers.

EMJB

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:37 pm

Am trying to follow the above to enlarge the cursor, and have installed them n the icons folder, but cannot find the Preferences/Customise look & feel entry using the latest Raspbian, nor can I find anything equivalent to the Mouse Cursor selection. Can anyone tell me how to select the new icons?

EMJB

sdjf

Tue May 10, 2016 10:03 am

EMJB wrote:Am trying to follow the above to enlarge the cursor, and have installed them n the icons folder, but cannot find the Preferences/Customise look & feel entry using the latest Raspbian, nor can I find anything equivalent to the Mouse Cursor selection. Can anyone tell me how to select the new icons?

EMJB
Try right clicking anywhere on the display. That should bring up a menu which includes Preferences as a selection.
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || My 512MB Model B only runs Arch.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”