madtom1999

Covid mask screen for accessibility.

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Sorry if this is out of order but I'd like to find a light weight see through screen (lcd or e-reader) that I can fit into a covid mask over the mouth and connect to a Pi Zero so people can lip read through it, or failing that messages can be scrolled on it.
Just the germ of an idea at the moment but it may be worth investigating - if I can find the screen!

davidcoton

Re: Covid mask screen for accessibility.

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 pm

The problem of lip-reading through masks is indeed significant, but hi-tech is not the solution.
The problem is that the whole general population needs to own and wear a lip-reading friendly mask -- that is just not economically feasible.
Maybe a mask design with a transparent section would be a better approach?
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

rpdom

Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:55 am

davidcoton wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 pm
Maybe a mask design with a transparent section would be a better approach?
They do exist, but I wouldn't know where to get them. I do have a friend who lip reads, but this thing will (hopefully) be over before I see him again.
Unreadable squiggle

hippy

Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:00 am

Just fitting a see-through panel to a mask ( or more often, and likely more correctly, "face covering" ) is the simplest solution.

Trying to find a display which is both readable and see-through is probably going to be like hunting for a Snark carrying a Holy Grail, and would be complete over-kill IMO.

This lot have come up with a speech to scrolling LED solution -

https://www.donutrobotics.com/c-mask

Last time I looked, Amazon sell face masks with see-through panels, and charities which assist the hearing impaired can likely suggest other suppliers.

There are see-through masks approved for use in some NHS clinical settings.

For a DIY cloth "face covering" just fitting a clear panel would seem the obvious solution and unlikely to compromise any protection it may offer. The challenge I imagine would be in not having it mist up.

Depending on circumstances, a face shield may be better than any kind of cloth "face covering" with a panel.

madtom1999

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:55 am

Just spent the last few days shouting at my deaf ma-in law. Think a speech to text mask has a use still!

hippy

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:25 pm

I find pen and pad to still be extremely useful these days, also mini-whiteboard and marker.

There are some 'etch-a-sketch' type write-on boards which can be 'electrostatically erased' at the push of a button if one wants to be trendy but I haven't found them that readable.

Imperf3kt

Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:18 am

Some of the above suggestions to use a clear panel or see through window simply will not work due to the fact the panel will condensate and fog up, making it impossible to see through.

There are sprays and liquids that can minimise this, but they require frequent reapplication and may be toxic to breathe the fumes in.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”