Dodgebus

Need timer/ phone dialer help

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi, I am new to raspberry pi. I have a pretty good working knowledge of it just lacking in the programming skills. I have a friend that is having seizures. He has been unconscious a few times without anyone knowing about it. We would like to design a raspberry pi to alert a selected friend if he has failed to check in. What we have in mind is a button that he has to press ever 8 hours. If he pressed the button before the 8 hours it would just reset it self and start the 8 hour timer again, if he missed the check in we would want it to call or text me or the selected person. He is blind so the user interface needs to be pretty simple just a button would be ideal. What I was thinking is have a pre-recorded voice that says he has missed his check in or text. I am not sure how we could connect to the Internet he has an iPad with cellular data if that does not work then maybe some Cellular data modular for the raspberry pi. Any help or ideas on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

shadetree01010100

Re: Need

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Here's a project on hackster.io that's similar, using a motion sensor for input instead of a button: https://www.hackster.io/drew-noolas/ras ... sor-aed9db

JorgeP

Re: Need timer/ phone dialer help

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Dodgebus wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 pm
I have a friend that is having seizures.
We would like to design a raspberry pi to alert a selected friend if he has failed to check in.
He is blind so the user interface needs to be pretty simple just a button would be ideal. What I was thinking is have a pre-recorded voice that says he has missed his check in or text.
Any help or ideas on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, might I recommend using an "accelerometer" instead of a button. You can use it as a fall detector which would require some programming to detect a fall as opposed to your friend just moving about normally.

Any Raspberry Pi with wi-fi capabilities would work perfect if your friend has a wi-fi router at home, or if he/she is away from home it could be setup to access any public wi-fi that may be available in the area, so you would need to get it connected for your friend as you would normally do so with a cell phone the first time you connect.

Once a fall is detected, you can send a text message through email to whoever could respond to his/her need. Do so by knowing the person who would responds cellular provider and phone number. See "How to send an SMS via email". If your, or the responding friend, cell provider is not listed, call your providers customer support and see if they can give you the sms sending/recieving information. This method does require internet connectivity wherever your friend, with seizures, may be located. You can also get a cheep toss away phone or access point with a data package and have the RPi connect through that.

You could attach a button, or two, to it if you wanted to.

You may need a customized case in case your friend does have a seizure the circuitry wont get destroyed from a hard fall and they don't get poked by the pins of the Raspberry pi.

BTW, I love when people try to help others with disabilities, don't give up!

nikoff90

Re: Need timer/ phone dialer help

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:53 am

I think you could modify this project to do what you want easily enough. Hit the button log and if not hit it could send out a txt's ' HELP ME! ' to the current gps location. You would want to make the button was fall safe ie have a cover that has to be removed and replaced to make sure it did not fall trigger.

Check this out. https://learn.adafruit.com/track-your-t ... r?view=all

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”