rohroh

Assistance for Non-Verbal Child

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:15 am

Hi, I am working on a project for my own child who is completely blind, learning delayed and Non-verbal.

The long and short of it is that she is attempting to communicate at times by different sounds or actions. What i am looking at doing is to create a Pi based "Box" that has a series of buttons on the top of it for her to press for simple things such as Playing her music, Calling out for Mum or Dad, Asking for Food or Drink etc.

I was hoping to have initially about 10 buttons which will have various textures or shapes on the top of the buttons (3d printer already pumping those out).

My request is that i need some help with the programming of the Pi, I will be putting a small screen on the top for us to view debug etc if needed. I have a small set of computer speakers in it to make the sounds. What i would like to be able to do is trigger the various functions such as playing music from a USB stick after doing a text to speach of "PLAY MUSIC". If the button is pressed again it would stop the music then trigger text to speak "STOP MUSIC" . If she presses the one for Food it should trigger text to speak - "FOOD PLEASE" etc etc etc.

I would prefer that this is written in Python. I will be attaching the buttons to the GPIO pins directly via pull down resistors etc. If we can also Log the various button presses that would be good...

Any help with this project would be greatly appreciated - i don't have enough Python programming skills to do it myself but i am more than happy to document and provide Kudos to those who help out.

bensimmo

Re: Assistance for Non-Verbal Child

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:11 am

Just pop to the main site, learning/education section and look at the getting started parts.
You'll have the basic code there.
Speach may be harder, unless it's prerecorded voices.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”