CelsoCaldeira

Increase icon size in PIXEL desktop

Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:28 am

I installed mate before and he can easily stretch icons to whatever size i want, the problem is the wifi was not working
not with wicd not even with network-manager, and using wpa-supp with the ssid and pass also did not work.

now in pixel everything works but i need bigger icons for my father he has kinda low vision due to diabetes and only 1 hand due to a stroke.

any help or tip will be appreciated, commandline is no issue to me, im used to it, but im new in this desktop enviroment.

gkreidl

Re: Increase icon size in PIXEL desktop

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 am

For visually impaired people (like me) the PIXEL desktop is pure pain. The new appearance settings tool (pipanel) does not allow to set up the desktop in a much better way forvisually impaired people. But there are solutions available:
Install lxappearance and obconf (and perhaps synaptic to find and install more themes).
Using both together you can set everything you need (better fonts, font sizes, icon sizes, color schemes, themes etc.). But you may never use pipanel again, as it only works with the PIX theme.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

CelsoCaldeira

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Thank you for reply

I've installed those tools but could not find where to change the desktop icon size, i was expecting some obscure config file in the PIXEL package to control the size, maybe they forget to put this? LOL

Anyway, the icons are the thing i need the most, fonts for desktop or applications are good.
Any chances i install mate desktop and screw all over the system? or get to my initial state where my wifi refused to work.

gkreidl

Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:04 pm

CelsoCaldeira wrote:Thank you for reply

I've installed those tools but could not find where to change the desktop icon size, i was expecting some obscure config file in the PIXEL package to control the size, maybe they forget to put this? LOL

Anyway, the icons are the thing i need the most, fonts for desktop or applications are good.
Any chances i install mate desktop and screw all over the system? or get to my initial state where my wifi refused to work.
lxappearance, right most tab (other or something like that - I'm on a German system), second popup menu.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

CelsoCaldeira

Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:37 pm

I've tried this now you suggested, but it's written "Icon size in the toolbar" (a free translation, my system is in portuguese)
and even trying all the available options no changes at all visually.

I think I've tried this before when was looking for how to enlarge the icons.
I really would like to double it's sizes.
meanwhile, still searching some conf files that control this attribute.

thanks! :)

CelsoCaldeira

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:03 pm

DUDES, I FINALLY GOT IT!

pcmanfm>edit>preferences>display>Large icon size(free translation from portuguese)

Close this topic and mark as SOLVED!

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”