kidteacher

Accessibility for the blind

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm new to your Raspberry Pi forum so I'm hoping I creating this new post correctly. My question is this. How can a blind user access the Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 to navigate its toolbar and desktop? In the Raspberry Pi's drop down menu, I can go to the Universal Access's submenu and I have a Screen Reader option listed. I'm assuming that is the screen reader Orca. But, when I try to launch it, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Or, is there a different screen reader that is more accessible for blind users.
I would appreciate any help on this topic.
Thank you

DougieLawson

Re: Accessibility for the blind

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:58 pm

Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

kidteacher

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:18 pm

I'm looking for a screen reader that will work on the Raspberry Pi's graphical desktop environment. When I go to the Pi's drop down menu, Universal Access submenu, I find what appears to be Orca. When I try to launch it, nothing happens. What are blind users using to access the Raspberry Pi's graphical desktop environment?
Thank you

Truckputer

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:37 pm

I been looking into a Voice command for raspberry Pi 3 However many confusing matters around it The best one i found so far is Links JARVIS However it doesnt support Linux users The other way around that is Installing Windows 10Iot But no word on if it will work with Jarvis
For me it work be for my Truck However It would be a great way to have the Blind surf the net by a voice command hand have speech to text and text to speech Also able to Control room temps, Reminders, In short it would open many ideas

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”