sevencorners326

Game controller adapter for father who had a stroke

Mon May 11, 2015 5:28 pm

Hello, Please forgive me if this is the right place to post as I just joined.

My Father had a stroke a few years ago an I was wondering if it is possible to use my raspberry pi to take in a signal from a keyboard or some other PC input device. Is it possible to output to a GameCube connection port via the GPIO? (Or another adapter) He cant use his right hand and the current controller does not work for him. I thought maybe using the Raspberry Pi to do the conversion might provide lots of flexibility. (I have a Wii U and a way of plugging in GC controllers as classics.) This might or might now work but I figured it would be a great DIY that might help someone in the long run....

Thanks, :)

mikronauts

Re: Game controller adapter

Mon May 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Wii "classic" controllers use I2C, and the protocol has been decoded.

Google "raspberry pi wii i2c" and you will find plenty of articles showing you how to use it.
sevencorners326 wrote:Hello, Please forgive me if this is the right place to post as I just joined.

My Father had a stroke a few years ago an I was wondering if it is possible to use my raspberry pi to take in a signal from a keyboard or some other PC input device. Is it possible to output to a GameCube connection port via the GPIO? (Or another adapter) He cant use his right hand and the current controller does not work for him. I thought maybe using the Raspberry Pi to do the conversion might provide lots of flexibility. (I have a Wii U and a way of plugging in GC controllers as classics.) This might or might now work but I figured it would be a great DIY that might help someone in the long run....

Thanks, :)
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

sevencorners326

Fri May 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks, I shall look into it then.

beta-tester

Sat May 16, 2015 7:08 pm

sevencorners326 wrote:... Is it possible to output to a GameCube connection port via the GPIO? (Or another adapter) ...
you want to try to interconnect a RPi directly to a GameCube via I²C connection?
as long as i know does the RPi only has an I²C-Master controller and i guess the GameCube also only has an I²C-Master controller.
that will not work - as long as i know.
to connect a Wii joystick to a RPi is possible, because the RPi acts as an I²C-Master and the Wii-Joystick as an I²C-Slave, but to connect a RPi to a GameCube, then they both must have an I²C-Master/-Slave controller on the hardware site and the RPi must have an I²C-Master/-Slave device driver on the software site to be able to interconnect both together.

i hope i am wrong, but i guess you are not able to interconnect them directly together.
maybe with a kind of device in between...

maybe it is possible to disassembple a Wii Joystick and each button of the Wii controller will be "switched" by a GPIO pin...

so a keyboard action on the RPi will be translated to a GPIO pin, that will switch a button (electrically) on the Wii controller, and the Wii controller is connected to the GameCube as usual...
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B (1GB), 64GB microSDXC1 class 10, HDMI 1920x1080, keyboard-mouse-combo (wireless), PiCamera, ethernet-cable, 5V/1.2A power supply, Wifi dongle (rt5370)

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”