knakjka

autistic family raspberrypi help please

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:08 pm

My son came down to me two days ago telling me that his pi 3b+ was broken because it would not connect to a monitor. Plugging it to my lap top showed two red lights which according to him and the Raspberry pi website there should be a green light. I am one of four autistic people in my family and a technophobe at the same time.
according to your trouble shooter it may be the sd card that is the problem then from there on in all I can hear is white-noise.
If possible could you break the instructions down to very very very simple sentences taking into consideration 1. I am over the age of 50 2. I am female 3. I used to be naturally blonde and finally I am NOT going to ask my husband to help just to get that look of "but it is sooo easy" so if you are a female reading this and I have offended you try being in my shoes. If you are a male do not laugh it is not allowed and I will be able to tell. and finally if you feel I am being unfair to over 50's I said 'I' was over 50 not you were over 50
Pretty Pretty please with big huge cherries on top and sprinkles can you help

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: autistic family raspberrypi help please

Wed May 13, 2020 12:02 pm

Removed unwanted replies.

OP never came back, but her post was kept for historical reasons....
only on-topic and helpfull replies are welcome, others will be deleted and karma points will be subtracted. :twisted:

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: autistic family raspberrypi help please

Thu May 14, 2020 3:31 pm

I took the liberty to copy-paste the one relevant reply (by pcmanbob) this was it:
Hi.

So the 2 LED's you need to look at are here

The Red indicating good power and should always be on
The Green indication that the pi is accessing the SD card and will flash randomly or be on for short periods of time while booting.

I am not sure how you have the pi connected to your PC but you certainly can't power a pi3B+ from a PC USB port , and you can't connect the HDMI form the pi to the PC.

So if you connect the pi back to the proper power supply and the TV/monitor and power it up do you get the red LED on and the Green LED flashing ?

If not then your SD card may be corrupt, if you have a spare SD card you could flash a new copy of raspbian on it and try booting your pi from that. ( using the existing SD card would over write anything on there. )

To do that you need to download the image file from here : https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Then as you have already setup an SD card before I assume you already have etcher installed on the PC, if not down load and install from here
https://www.balena.io/etcher/

insert the SD card in to your PC card reader and use etcher to write/flash the image file on to the SD card, once completed eject the SD card in windows and remove from PC insert in to pi and try booting PI.

I found this YouTube video showing etcher in use which might help : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRvHynxGjJQ

I am don't know how you were getting sound from an SD card that has an operating system on it or even how you would attempt to play sound from such an SD card.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”