Chris1997

Orca on Raspbian Buster

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:50 pm

Hello all,

I cannot get the Orca screen reader to install on Raspbian Buster running on my Raspberry Pi 4. I followed a guide that instructed me to install a bunch of packages, including espeak, speech-dispatcher, and the gnome-orca screen reader itself. The link to the guide is http://techesoterica.com/?p=1135

However, all I hear is "screen reader on" when I boot back into the desktop environment and type Orca after pressing Alt+F2. Pressing any other keys after the "screen reader on" message results in no speech. Does this no longer work with the Pi 4 and Raspbian Buster? If it does work, would someone mind giving me instructions to get a talking desktop up and running? Are there any other accessible Pi Linux distros out there with Orca pre-installed aside from Ubuntu Mate? I'd like to use that one, but I'm still waiting for the official image for the Pi 4 to be released.

Speaking of Orca, why isn't it included in Raspbian? It's sad that a blind person can't use the default Raspbian operating system out of the box, especially when this was made for educational purposes and to get more people into computing. I'm a little disappointed that all I can do with my Pi is use SSH. Does the Raspberry Pi Foundation have plans to implement the screen reader into future versions of Raspbian?

PranavLal

Re: Orca on Raspbian Buster

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Hi,

I agree with you. We need accessibility built-in into the default image. I have just managed to get orca running on raspbian buster by installing mate. I can duplicate your results with the default desktop. I suspect the accessibility infrastructure has been stripped but I do not have any objective basis for saying so. I now need to update orca.

Basically, I started from raspbian buster lite, installed gnome and then installed orca. I plan to write a detailed blog post on this once I get everything working.

kencrum373

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:38 pm

I would also like to voice my support for including Orca and other accessibility programs by default in the image. I tend to use a screen magnifier but having any sort of accessibility tools available easily from the beginning would be very helpful.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:28 pm

AIUI, Orca has been included by default in the latest Buster image. Not sure how you turn it on, but we have spent quite some time getting it working correctly in as many circumstances as possible.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 pm

kencrum373 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:38 pm
I would also like to voice my support for including Orca and other accessibility programs by default in the image. I tend to use a screen magnifier but having any sort of accessibility tools available easily from the beginning would be very helpful.

Maybe you missed the Blog posted on the 7th February ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-new-raspbian-update/
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”