projectfocus

Button controlled predictive text device for Stroke patience

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:28 am

Hello All

I am about to start a project for a button controlled predictive text communication device. The premise is for a patient with limited mobility but with cognitive processing skills to be able to communicate without the use of speach.

I can see there are a fair amount of projects in this section related to simular issues and would like to tap into others already obtained skills around this same sort of application. I am on the starting blocks with this and have no actual experience with doing such a process.

The idea would be to utilise a multi-button input device say 3 or 4 buttons or sensors(for multiple application awareness). I guess this would have to be done in stages as the first portion of the project would be the predictive text engine. Then I would have to work a process of how to interact with the engine.

Is there anyone who knows of any code that could be able to be utilised for these initial purposes? Any help would be greatly recieved and aid in the speed of development of this device.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and welcome all thoughts and assistance.

projectfocus

Re: Button controlled predictive text device for Stroke patience

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:26 pm

I am a little further down my quest for this and I have found a predictive text engine called presage gprompter. I have looked at the potential controls for this and it looks like it could be suitable however would require the use of 5 buttons
letter selector press and long press to select letter
Up and Down to scroll through options on predictive list down more important so up would be on weekest finger or side.
Enter to Select and move to next word.
Back to undo letter.

Does anyone know how I could use this solution of buttons to go through ascii chars before sending to a engine like gprompter.
It will be the letter selector part that will be the challenge the others could be straight forward key mappings to buttons.

Thanks in advance for any assistance I recieve on this platform.

scruss

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 pm

I work for an assistive tech charity (Makers Making Change, a Neil Squire Society program). We have an open-source 5-button USB HID input controller that we use, the ATMakers KeySwitch. It's really easy to program this (like, edit a text config file) to make it output cursor and other key codes. It appears as a tiny USB keyboard, no drivers required.

You can use switches like a Light Touch Switch, a Raindrop Switch or Round Flexure Switch with it - indeed, any standard 3½ mm mono switch will work.

Can't exactly help you with the predictive text code, as it's outside my own experience. Ping me at work — stewartr {at} neilsquire (dot) ca — and I can get back to you on some other resources tomorrow. (Today's Thanksgiving.)
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

projectfocus

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:57 am

OK so I have purchased the 3.5mm jack leads and the buttons that I require for them prototype solution. However I have been uable to find a way of purchasing the ATMakers KeySwitch that would be required to connect them.

I am based in the UK which does not help but I am happy to try and obtain from any location. The issue is that I have found no supplier of this device. Would it be possible to advise where you have managed to obtain these from so I can get hold of a couple.

Thanks.

scruss

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:08 pm

I might be able to send you a complete system … I need to check with the folks here as sending kit from Canada to the UK can be pricey.

We've in process of getting the switch PCB documented. The real difficulty with many of these assistive tech projects is that, great as they are, they aren't documented or properly written up in one place. So many individuals working away making great solutions that other people could use if they only knew about them. We're lucky to be one of the very few orgs anywhere getting grants to develop and document these designs
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

projectfocus

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 pm

As I say I have just got ordered all of the bolt on equipment so only really need the control board and 3.5mm jack connectors and PCB. I have a friend with a 3D printer so I can have an experiment with the button configurations. To be honest it may be the use case I can convince the better half that I can buy one.

If you let me know the costs I will happily pay any costs for the devices and the shipping. I am looking at creating 2 so I can have a prototype and a in use variation so it can be adapted as mobility / cognitive recovery happens.

I am so thankful for your assistance so far. It seemed like a no hope project as I started to look at this and now I have a Speach engine based from the google AIY project and the predictive text engine. Now all I need is the control to run the 2 together.

The last hurdle will be to find a screen that can be attached that will be able to run off a battery for mobile use. Looking at a 10" version as any smaller this could be hard to use based on potential recognition of words and pictures.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”