TheGoodTheBadTheUgly

Help making a soundboard run on startup!

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 pm

Hey guys, first off, I am a complete noob when it comes to programming and even more python.

I am designing a Tactile Map to help a blind person navigate through a building. The tactile map has an audio component which is basically a soundboard created with Raspberry Pi 3 and where a sound queue is played when a button is pressed.

I managed to make the soundboard work. When I run the program and press the button, a sound file plays!

The problem is that I would like the script to run on startup. I read a bit and tried to add the file to open on startup with Crontab and changed boot parameters so I don't need to log in, but when I press the button, I only hear static and now my sound file. I am guessing that the startup parameters worked to run the script but not to open the sound file.

Anyways, I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I thank you all!

Andyroo

Re: Help making a soundboard run on startup!

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 pm

How did you start the program from the terminal?
Can you post the CRONTAB entry please?

Code: Select all

crontab -l
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

pcmanbob

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:23 am

Hi.

One thing to be aware of is that cron runs in a different environment to the command line, so you need to add full paths to any files
( like your sound files ) that you might call or use in your program.

You should also use full path and file name in your cron line as well, IE. python /home/pi/myfile.py
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Start if from the desktop autostart file. That's where I get my Google AIY stuff running.

Either /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart or a .desktop file in /etc/xdg/autostart with Buster.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mmk8283

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:01 am

Might want to look into this instead. I found it was easiest for my soundboard project
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2210?f ... OP6L4wTGtk

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”