bazza

Assisted Interface for Handicapped Users

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:56 am

I have done an initial release of my QT5 based Assisted Interface (AIF) at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/assist ... rce=navbar

AIF provides a user interface that can be used by people with limited movement and/or ability to speak.

I have mostly dealt with communication (speaking) but have also added IR control of TVs (etc) using LIRC, a basic web browser, basic document writer and started on an email client.

On a Raspberry pi 2 it is possible to run the AIF user interface with the web cam head tracking EVACAM. Touch screens would be the other expected interface.

The motivation for this project was finding out the high cost of providing what are technically straightforward systems to severely disabled people Typically 8k GBP. The reason for the high cost is that the price includes life time support costs, which is about 80% + of the cost. The hope is that AIF will help volunteers build these types of systems for those that cannot raise the money to buy commercial offerings. If nothing else give an idea of how to do it.

Systems may need bespoke development / adaptation to a particular user's needs (software/hardware and mechanical). For example the AIF IR remote control interface, will provide basic TV control but the IR interface needs training to a particular TV set and does not give access to all the features of a modern TV set. Each IR controlled device may need a different user interface developing. Technically easy but time consuming. And it has to work for the actual user, who even with computer assistance may only be able to talk at a rate of one phrase per 5 - 10 seconds.

For phone access and smart TV access I would suggest installing a VNC server on the phone (android) or Smart TV (Android) and controlling it through a VNC client.

I have provided all the current source code and prebuilt executables for the Raspberry Pi 2. The application builds on Linux and MS Windows (MSVC 2013)

Qt 5.3.1 must be used for the Raspberry Pi because Webkit builds for the RPi with this version.

AIF has other applications eg information kiosks.

Any questions or suggestions are welcome.

aslk

Re: Assisted Interface for Handicapped Users

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi,

Many thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for to get started on this topic.

Best regards

Damien

jahboater

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 am

Another example of how the Pi is helping people way beyond the RPF's education mission.

Best wishes

Murph139

Wed May 09, 2018 11:32 am

Hey there,

Two childhood best friend of mine, husband and wife for 25+, have been provided one of life's hardest obstacles.... The wife has been diagnosed with ALS a couple of months ago, and unfortunately, rearing its ugly face quicker that I thought would happen.... Unfortunately do to my disability, I'm not able to offer many services requiring physical exertion.... I can however offer up my eagerness to implement today's technology, DYI method, to help with communication when the time may present itself...

I have not priced systems off the shelf, but can only imagine the cost... From what I'm hearing from both is that Advocates are very eager when first speaking with you, however, when time comes to open the pocket book, they seem to disappear... They are currently working with various vendors to fit the homestead with various ADA needs... Things add up quickly...

Communication, quickly, easily, smoothly, flexible, small footprint, not too bad on the pocket book are all items of top priority in my eye for this project... Expanding to help with other items like the remote control, teapot, lights, things around the house could be addressed as well...

I see it's been quite some time since the original post... Am wondering if you've progressed and further...? any new idea? any where else I should look or consider?

Thank you for taking the time to share with the group... I intend to pay it forward with any work that is completed in my world....

Murph

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”