Can RaspPi power Arduino? (yes)

20 posts
by prakis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:10 pm
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question, pls let me know if there is any other place.

Can RPi USB power Arduino ? That will avoid two power supply's, one for RPi and one for Arduino (atleast for simple projects which don't need much current).

Edit: One of my requirement is to use a Arduino Motor Shield which has a separate power supply. I don't want to use 3 power supply's
1) Power supply for Raspberry PI
2) Power supply for Arduino
3) Power supply for Motor Shield or other shield.

Answer given: Yes you can power Arduino with Raspberry PI USB as long as it is not powering any power consuming Shields or Motors.

Thank you
Last edited by prakis on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by hansotten » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:21 pm
The short answer: yes, the +5V is enough for a simple Arduino Uno or so.

The longer answer: what do you plan to do with the Arduino? Some shields can require more power than available. So calculate!
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu
by asandford » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:50 pm
Powering via USB - USB also allows you to communicate over serial without the need for level shifters
by hansotten » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:05 pm
asandford wrote:Powering via USB - USB also allows you to communicate over serial without the need for level shifters

Sure about that?

USB means 5V to the Arduino, so serial will be at 5V TTL level. From Arduino to RPi it would be safer to use a level shifter.
by AndrewS » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:06 pm
I assume he meant USB-serial rather than TTL-serial
by rgrbic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:27 pm
What board are you talking about? You can power it via usb to serial.
At 127.0.0.1
Twitter: @rgrbic
IoT-projects.com
by hansotten » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:34 pm
AndrewS wrote:I assume he meant USB-serial rather than TTL-serial

In that case indeed no problem!
by asandford » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:30 pm
AndrewS wrote:I assume he meant USB-serial rather than TTL-serial

Indeed, that's what I meant by USB-USB. It also frees the PI serial for other things.
by asandford » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:36 pm
rgrbic wrote:What board are you talking about? You can power it via usb to serial.

If you plug an Uno (or Nano, not got any others) into a Pi via USB (like you would a PC if programming it), not only will it power it, the Uno will appears as a serial device in /dev as it has a serial - USB chip onboard.
by rgrbic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:44 pm
asandford wrote:
rgrbic wrote:What board are you talking about? You can power it via usb to serial.

If you plug an Uno (or Nano, not got any others) into a Pi via USB (like you would a PC if programming it), not only will it power it, the Uno will appears as a serial device in /dev as it has a serial - USB chip onboard.

Yes, Uno and Nano do have usb to serial chip (but arduino mini for example does not have one).
But keep in mind that you can get 500 mA from it (if RPi can provide it).
At 127.0.0.1
IoT-projects.com
by asandford » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:02 pm
rgrbic wrote:
asandford wrote:

Yes, Uno and Nano do have usb to serial chip (but arduino mini for example does not have one).
But keep in mind that you can get 500 mA from it (if RPi can provide it).

I have no idea what board the OP is using.

The original question was can he power it (and projects with low power requirements) from the Pi using USB, which he can.

I just added that as an added bonus (if his board supports it) he can use the USB serial interface as wel, regretting mentioning it now.
by prakis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 pm
Thank you guys.

I am thinking of using Arduino Uno.
by DougieLawson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:15 pm
prakis wrote:I am thinking of using Arduino Uno.

I found in the past (with a now defunct Raspberry Pi power supply) with my Arduino that it needed a powered hub or it would pull too much current from the RPi and would run right on the limit. (That may be different with a B+).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
by rgrbic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:22 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
prakis wrote:I am thinking of using Arduino Uno.

I found in the past (with a now defunct Raspberry Pi power supply) with my Arduino that it needed a powered hub or it would pull too much current from the RPi and would run right on the limit. (That may be different with a B+).

I powered my Uno from RPi without any problems (however I had only low power communication module attached to Uno).
What did you connect to your Uno?
At 127.0.0.1
IoT-projects.com
by DougieLawson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:49 pm
rgrbic wrote:I powered my Uno from RPi without any problems (however I had only low power communication module attached to Uno).
What did you connect to your Uno?

Nothing special. Ultimately the power supply (a cheapo crappo one from eBay) gave up the ghost (so I suspect that was the reason for the brownouts). That RPi is now powered by a reasonably good power supply from Farnell's. I've not had my Arduino out of the box for months, I've been too busy playing with my RPis. I've got an Arduino project I'll look at later this month.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
by mung » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:03 pm
prakis wrote:Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question, pls let me know if there is any other place.

Can RPi USB power Arduino ? That will avoid two power supply's, one for RPi and one for Arduino (atleast for simple projects which don't need much current).

Thank you

I would think it can in many different ways shapes and forms, but also may not work in many other circumstances, it all depends on what your exact requirements are.

I posted a link on another thread (I think something about 'avr atmega16' if you forum search those terms)showing youtube video of a 5volt chinese atmega mini clone being powered and programmed from the rpi gpio pins and running at 3.3v, this would be very bad idea for most applications as it could damage the rpi and I get the feeling brownouts were occuring on the atmega but it allowed programming without voltage levelshifting and seemed fairly reliable as I have not yet had any errors after 30 or more arduino programmings and the rpi still seems to work fine, ymmv.
by prakis » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:20 pm
mung wrote:
prakis wrote:Hi,

Thank you

I would think it can in many different ways shapes and forms, but also may not work in many other circumstances, it all depends on what your exact requirements are.

I posted a link on another thread (I think something about 'avr atmega16' if you forum search those terms)showing youtube video of a 5volt chinese atmega mini clone being powered and programmed from the rpi gpio pins and running at 3.3v, this would be very bad idea for most applications as it could damage the rpi and I get the feeling brownouts were occuring on the atmega but it allowed programming without voltage levelshifting and seemed fairly reliable as I have not yet had any errors after 30 or more arduino programmings and the rpi still seems to work fine, ymmv.

Thanks for your answer, I edited my question to include my requirement which is ...
One of my requirement is to use a Arduino Motor Shield which has a separate power supply. I don't want to use 3 power supply's
1) Power supply for Raspberry PI
2) Power supply for Arduino
3) Power supply for Motor Shield or other shield.

Answer given: Yes you can power Arduino with Raspberry PI USB as long as it is not powering any power consuming Shields or Motors.
by mahjongg » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:39 pm
a B+ can deliver up-to 1.2 Amp to the USB ports, when setting USB current limit "high" using config.txt (see link below) or 0.6 Amp otherwise, should be enough for an Arduino plus most shields.

viewtopic.php?p=593507#p593507
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by stefanito21 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:14 am
Hello,

I want to do a similar project (raspberry+arduino+motorshield) and I think I found an answer about how to power Arduino+raspberry+motorshield, something like a multi-voltage power bank like this http://www.amazon.ca/20000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Portable-External-Technology/dp/B005NGLTZQ
5v - 2A for the raspberry, 9v for the Arduino and 12v for the motor shield. Of course the 9v and 12v may need modification so that they can be connected to Arduino dc input (since I think the usb would be connected to the pi) and the motor shield. I haven't tried it yet, but theoretically this could work.
by Cancelor » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:44 am
I like the 3.3V ProMini. (there are two versions. One runs at 3.3V and 8 MHz, the other at 5V and 16 MHz.) See https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardProMini
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org