Ir receiver via headphone jack

11 posts
by Deeco » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:22 pm
Alright, just got a B+ and installed openelec making it into a media center.

I have a ir receiver lying around which connects through the headphone jack...Now, just want know if I can use it with the pi somehow.

Many thanks.
by PiGraham » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:34 pm
Deeco wrote:Alright, just got a B+ and installed openelec making it into a media center.

I have a ir receiver lying around which connects through the headphone jack...Now, just want know if I can use it with the pi somehow.

Many thanks.

I think you will find that is intended to connect to a mic or line INPUT, not a headphone OUTPUT.
Pi doesn't have audio inputs.
It may be possible to rewire the device and connect it to the GPIO, but you would have to provide details on what this device is to get help on that.
by fruitoftheloom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:33 pm
Ex Computer Repair & Service Technician.
RPi 3B, HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer, Google Chromecast, Android Smart Phone, HD 1080p TV and 3/4G Mobile Internet make ideal companions.
by RobHenry » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:06 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:https://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-ir-remote-with-a-raspberry-pi-media-center/overview

Does that tutorial use an ir receiver that connects via the headphone jack?
by PiGraham » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:08 pm
RobHenry wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:https://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-ir-remote-with-a-raspberry-pi-media-center/overview

Does that tutorial use an ir receiver that connects via the headphone jack?

No, it uses one of these:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/157
by DougieLawson » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:10 pm
RobHenry wrote:Does that tutorial use an ir receiver that connects via the headphone jack?

There's no headphone jack on the Raspberry Pi.
There's no audio or video input on the Raspberry Pi without adding additional hardware.
The only outputs are HDMI video/audio output, analog video output and analog line-level audio output.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
by PiGraham » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:14 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
RobHenry wrote:Does that tutorial use an ir receiver that connects via the headphone jack?

There's no audio or video input on the Raspberry Pi without adding additional hardware.
The only outputs are HDMI video/audio output, analog video output and analog line-level audio output.

I think the question arose because the OP stated
I have a ir receiver lying around which connects through the headphone jack...
by RobHenry » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:24 pm
PiGraham wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:

I think the question arose because the OP stated
I have a ir receiver lying around which connects through the headphone jack...

Indeed, it is even in the thread title.
by mattua » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:08 am
Has there been a "real" answer to this?

The OP has a receiver (and possibly I assume a IR transmitter) that connect via a 1/8" phone jack (same size connector as you'd use for mono-headphones)

These are used in IR repeater setups ... use your favorite search engine for "Niles IR" model MSU250 as an example of some of the many components.

Is there a schematic to hook one of these IR off the shelf components to a Raspberry Pi?
by alphanumeric » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:34 pm
Some PC TV tuner cards come with receivers that plug in with a '1/8 inch stereo jack'. For use with the remote control that comes with them. And devices like my XBOX has provision for an IR Blaster (transmitter) that plugs in via a '1/8 inch stereo jack'. To turn my TV and cable box on off when the XBOX turns on and off. And adjust the TV volume etc with the XBOX Media remote. The '1/8 inch stereo plug jack' is just used for convenience, 3 contacts and no way to plug it in incorrectly. You'll likely just have to use trial and error to figure out which pin goes where. Unless you can get a schematic for the device it plugs into. The transmitter likely only uses 2 pins, and the receiver 3. You could easily just cut the jack off and strip back the wires to solder them directly to what ever you want. My guess would be tip +V, ring signal, sleeve ground. I don't know if you can damage it with an incorrect hookup though? https://learn.adafruit.com/ir-sensor/testing-an-ir-sensor
Last edited by alphanumeric on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by Douglas6 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:24 pm
I'd be cautious referring to a '1/8 inch stereo plug jack' as a 'headphone jack' . They can of course be used for anything, not necessarily audio out (and you'd think an IR receiver would need an input, not an output).