The plan is to connect the Pi to a humidity and temperature sensor, an altitude sensor, a GPS unit and one or two camera units, one with a fisheye lens and one with a zoom lens. The whole contraption will be cased in a styrofoam ball with holes for the cameras and sensors.
Destination: the edge of space by weatherballoon. The balloon can be bought here.
Total budget: USD250
Estimated launch time: Q4 2012
Issues to resolve:
- How to establish and maintain communication. Will a 3G modem with SIM card be sufficient or is it better to use a video/data transmitter? Maybe Wifi?
- The sensors I want to obtain from yoctopuce Are there any cheaper/better sensors out there?
- What would be the best way to control decent of the unit once it has reached the edge of space? Fill the ball with foam and just drop it or use a kind of parachute?
- Any other cool stuff the Pi can do/measure/register while up there? Your name will be attached to the experiment and carried to the edge of space!
- Since I don't have enough programming experience, anyone want to join to develop the software?I'm based in Singapore but that doesn't have to hold you back off course.
All ideas, tips and tricks are welcome!