I'm using a RasperryPi as a personnal server (web server, owncloud, opendTTD server,...).
This is for personnal use, I don't expect to have thousands of visitors on my server for now.
Currently, the only storage I have is the 8GB SD card I use for the system.
I was wondering which solution I should use...
I need :
* More storage space (I don't need hundreds of GB... ~30GB could be enough)
* Reliability (I don't want to loose the data I put in Owncloud or the web server data base..)
I don't need :
* very fast, performances,...
* a lot of space
I know that backups are important to avoid loosing data.
I could use
* A USB hard drive
* One or more USB Flash drive.
It seems that the USB Hard drive would be the best solution, but what do you think about using 2 USB flash drives in RAID?
I was thinkink about a RAID1 of 2 16/32Gb USB flash drive. This would consome less power, I wouldn't need to add a power supply for the HD, and I wouldn't need to worry about spinning down the hard drive,...
But I don't know how flash drives perform in RAID, if the flash memory would wear too quickly.
Can you give me your thoughts about that?
(Raid of) USB flash drives as storage
My blog [FR] : http://blog.slashome.fr.cr
- Posts: 75
- Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:49 am