OpenELEC and XBMC video configuration

4 posts
by robleady » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:07 am
Hi,

I did post this in the Test Build thread, but there's probably a bit too much "noise" there... So...

Can anyone explain to me how the various video configuration settings are supposed to work with OpenELEC and XBMC ?

Out of the box (ie no config.txt) XBMC decides to use DMA hdmi_mode=39 1360x768 60Hz whereas the screen (a Sony TV) is capable of doing 1080i. Forcing things to CEA hdmi_mode=5 1080i 60Hz displays OK, but with overscan (picture bigger than the screen) but regardless of what I use for the overscan_xxx parameters, XBMC appears to ignore them.

Using the video calibration tool within XBMC, I can get the initial GUI to display correctly, however those settings don't seem to be being used when I play full screen video - the screen is still too big. When exiting from full screen, the XBMC GUI becomes smaller than it should be, as if something's doubled up the overscan figures that got used when I did the video calibration previously.

Then, if I reboot, everything appears to be lost and I'm back to the GUI with overscan.

Any pointers ? I've tried various builds of OpenELEC up to and including 11315, and am getting the same issue.

Cheers,

Rob
by nugget » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:07 pm
Quite a few people are having this problem, including me.
I found a workaround on the XBMC forum that's ok for now. Videos are still displaying about 10% too large on my TV, but I can live with that.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... pid1117137
by texy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:27 pm
There is another way. If you go to skin properties you can adjust its percentage. Reducing this by -6% brought this to just under my tv's screen. Gets remembered after reboot too.
Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by RexRoper » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:18 pm
Thanks Texy,

That fixed it for me also. I then went to Screen Calibration and adjusted overscan to the right for a perfect picture! :D