SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

448 posts   Page 15 of 18   1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
by Paul Webster » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 pm
If your PC is always on (at least at times when you want to hear your music ..? which it would have to be if that is where your music is stored) then running LMS on the PC is a good simple way forward.
Having an RPi for each zone is the easiest to set-up - and they can be controlled individually from a single controller and they can be configured to play in synchronised groups.
What someone else has done is run multipl eUSB DACs on a single RPi - each with their own instance of a player and then run audio-only cables to the different zones.
by phil001 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 am
thanks for that info.
I will only be getting one RPi for the time being, to use as a network music player connected to a mini hifi, but was just wondering about the possibilities.

If I run LMS on the PC, and the PC isn't switched on, would I still be able to play internet radio etc on the RPi? or does it require the connection to LMS for this
Thanks
by castalla » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:34 pm
You need LMS running on something - switch it off and you can't do anythng!

Put it on one Pi - leave on 24/7. On other Pis you only need Squeezelite.
by tom-pi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:33 am
I've got Squeezelite running, but I always need to start it manually, this with both Squeezeplug 5 and 6.01

Ideas why it won't start automatically?

Thanks,

Tom
by truehl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:31 am
tom-pi wrote:I've got Squeezelite running, but I always need to start it manually, this with both Squeezeplug 5 and 6.01

Ideas why it won't start automatically?

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry, but no, it should start automatically if you set it up with my script. I think there must be a problem with you settings?!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by tom-pi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm
Hi Thomas,

Yes, I used your setup routine.

Webmin shows it as running, but it doesn't show up in LMS.

Doing a stop-start (via Webmin or terminal) and it shows up in LMS.

I have tried to delete and re-install, but the problem remains.

Tom
by tom-pi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:18 pm
Also, 6.01 seems to run about 20% faster than 5.x (38:34 vs. 46:23 for a 358GB flac library scan)

Good work!
by antonholmstedt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:17 pm
I remember you wrote in the Berryboot thread that you where going to make an OS for that. How is the process going? I understand that the work with v6 has been prio 1, but I'm looking forward to use your software at my tv as well :) love your work!
by gazzas1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:40 pm
Hi there im desperately looking for some help - i will start with my aim:

I want to use a raspberry pi as a means to play music which is stored on my NAS drive on usb speakers in my kitchen via a wireless connection.

I have followed the video tutorial : http://squeezeplug.de/

however i am still struggling i am new to the use of the r pi so treat me as an absolute novice it would be great if somebody to give me a step by step guide to achieve this, so far i have been able to install squeeze plug but i am struggling with the finer configuration especially when it comes to configuring the library to my NAS drive as i have no idea how to find the pathway to my drive and i don't know my credentials i.e.user name etc, i have also tried this tutorial viewtopic.php?f=38&t=25778 but i am equally as stuck!

any help would be greatly appreciated!
by truehl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:59 pm
gazzas1 wrote:Hi there im desperately looking for some help - i will start with my aim:

I want to use a raspberry pi as a means to play music which is stored on my NAS drive on usb speakers in my kitchen via a wireless connection.

however i am still struggling i am new to the use of the r pi so treat me as an absolute novice it would be great if somebody to give me a step by step guide to achieve this, so far i have been able to install squeeze plug but i am struggling with the finer configuration especially when it comes to configuring the library to my NAS drive as i have no idea how to find the pathway to my drive and i don't know my credentials i.e.user name etc, i have also tried this tutorial viewtopic.php?f=38&t=25778 but i am equally as stuck!

Hm ... seems you need support! I'm working on some tutorials, but that will last some days more.

You should start with buring the last version 6 and do the automatic update to version 6.1. Best we would make a Skype or a Teamviewer session to figure things out. What do you think?

B.t.w. please use the actual SqueezePlug 6 thread!
truehl
by gazzas1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:03 pm
Hi there yes that would be great - at the moment i am still waiting on getting all of the items i need for this project for example my 2nd r pi a usb sound card and usb speakers, but at the moment i was experimenting with my first r pi with a different sd card i just cant get past setting up my library with my NAS drive
by truehl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:22 pm
gazzas1 wrote:Hi there yes that would be great - at the moment i am still waiting on getting all of the items i need for this project for example my 2nd r pi a usb sound card and usb speakers, but at the moment i was experimenting with my first r pi with a different sd card i just cant get past setting up my library with my NAS drive

try to connect to with NAS with your Windows PC and tell me what settings you are using for this connection! I than hopefully can tell you the rest!
truehl
by TrainTrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:07 pm
Firstly, I would like to express my sincerest thanks to Thomas for all his work on the SqueezePlug 'spin' of Raspian. It works very well and has an easy, straightforward installation and setup process. I especially like the hd-idle idea and the setup tool that allows the user to auto mount external drives. The ncurses interface during the setup is an especially nice touch :-)

My only question here is, if running this 'distro' as a media/file server - which is what it was intended to do - what firewall would you recommend running on it without having to go about the *complexities* of setting up *somewhat* confusing iptables rules/chains? The programs ufw or apf-firewall seem a pretty obvious choice but, I was just wondering if you have a specific package aimed at being used in your particular 'spin' - for want of a better word?

An nmap scan of this little server showed ports 22, 139, 445, 49152 as being open. 22 is not a problem as I use it all the time and it's protected by a relatively strong p/word. 49152 was opened by me for MediaTomb, and I know I can close any of the above mentioned ports at any time I choose, but I really would like to enable a strong-ish firewall as well. Any recommendations are sincerely appreciated.

Thank you so much once again, and I wish you all the very best.

Take care :-)
by TrainTrick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:37 pm
gazzas1 wrote:Hi there im desperately looking for some help - i will start with my aim:

You could try mpg123. It's a really great little program for playing music on remote drives/filesystems.
Code: Select all
aptitude install mpg123
by Paqueuc » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:13 am
Hello,

Thanks to Thomas for this wonderful Squeezeplug idea.

New to the community, I start straight on with a whole installation question while I'm still waiting for receiving my Pis...

As I will use those squeezeplugs on Pi, combined with home automation on a box that can send HTTP requests, I was wondering if there was a possible script to properly shutdown one by one the squeeze plugs Pi ? Then, the box would shutdown the power. When we need to use them again, the box would just have to switch on the power to start the Pis and the amps.

Exemple : The LMS and squeeze boxes are hosted on 6 Pis. The idea is to press a button on a smartphone that will tell my automation box (not hosted on a Pi, this one) to send an http request to shutdown all the Pis...

Could this work this way ? Or are there any other automated solutions not to let those 6 pis always on ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Paqueuc
by morganc12000 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 pm
I have squeezeplug (6) up and running on my Raspberry pi. Excellent job Thomas.
I run LMS 24/7.
One snag I have run into is that I ran the script for "HDD idle" to allow the HDD to spin down when not in use. Now when I go to play a file after it has been idle e.g overnight, I get "cannot open file" message on my player.
I can resolve this by rebooting the pi but this defeats the purpose for me as I have to do this through my pc
Is this something to do with "HDD idle" and if so can I undo the HDD idle script or do something else to bring the HDD back up?
Thanks
by TrainTrick » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 pm
morganc12000 wrote:I have squeezeplug (6) up and running on my Raspberry pi. Excellent job Thomas.
I run LMS 24/7.
One snag I have run into is that I ran the script for "HDD idle" to allow the HDD to spin down when not in use. Now when I go to play a file after it has been idle e.g overnight, I get "cannot open file" message on my player.
I can resolve this by rebooting the pi but this defeats the purpose for me as I have to do this through my pc
Is this something to do with "HDD idle" and if so can I undo the HDD idle script or do something else to bring the HDD back up?
Thanks

Might be best to check out the man page. I don't have it on this laptop I'm using now, which is running Debian 'Squeeze' testing, but here's the online man page for the program. Quite interesting what it says about SCSI drives.

http://hotzi.no-ip.org/cgi-bin/man/man2html?hd-idle+1

Hope you can gain some sort of help from this.

Take care.

By the way: If you'd prefer to remove the program, just uninstall it:

Code: Select all
aptitude remove hd-idle && aptitude purge hd-idle
by Elkoho » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:00 pm
Stupid newbie question?!

After the first Installation webmin runs and is reachable over Putty.
But after a shutdown its "Gone" is there a simple solution for a starter?
by TrainTrick » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 am
Elkoho wrote:Stupid newbie question?!

After the first Installation webmin runs and is reachable over Putty.
But after a shutdown its "Gone" is there a simple solution for a starter?

No such thing as a stupid question! ;-)

By the sounds of it, I would say you *probably* need to manually add this program to be invoked at system boot/startup. I don't have my R-Pi with me right at this moment but I'm pretty sure it has a directory named init.d in /etc where you can place a small script to call the program so it runs at boot.

Not sure if this is much help so it might be worth taking a look around Google, or you can have a quick look at this link:

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/28

Take care and best of luck.
by rickwookie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 pm
Hi

I've been running LMS (since Slimserver!) on my Ubuntu server, but thought it'd get another Pi to use instead to save some power.

Using Squeezeplug had made this a breeze, and though it's not as snappy as the Ubuntu server, particularly using the web interface, it's fast enough and MUCH smaller! - Incidentally how's does the Pi compare in MIPS/FLOPS to the old AMD K6-II 450 that's in my server???

Anyway, today I tried to play an album on my Squeezebox 3 that is in mpc format and it failed to play. Looking in /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/arm-linux there's no mpddec file like there is in /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/i386-linux.
Since /etc/squeezeboxserver/convert.conf refers to mpddec for mpc files, I suppose I need mpddec from somewhere, but does it exist for the Pi?

I did notice that the apt package mpc123 is available, if there's no mpddec can mpc123 be used instead?

Thanks

Edit: I think wmadec is also missing, since while all my Squeezeboxen will happily play wma files natively, I can't play them back on my iOS iPeng players, since they require the files to be transcoded by the RPi server.
Last edited by rickwookie on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
by drgeoff » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:54 pm
rickwookie wrote:Incidentally how's does the Pi compare in MIPS/FLOPS to the old AMD K6-II 450 that's in my server???

ISTR someone (jamesh?) saying the RPi had about the same 'performance' as a 300 MHz Pentium.
by krambriw » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:17 pm
Dear Truehl, the Squeezeplug is working fine on my Raspberry Pi running squeezeserver.

Today I tried another thing, I have the Razberry board (z-wave) and I installed the z-wave software to get my z-wave network working. Installation seems to be ok but the z-wave-server will not start.
http://rauberry.z-wave.me/faq.php

I have followed the instructions:
Order to board and a Raspberry PI.
Follow the guidelines on the Raspberry blog how to load a operating system of your choice to the board.
Plug in the RaZberry board, log in and type in the following command line: wget -q -O - http://razberry.z-wave.me/install | sudo bash
Go to http://IP_OF_YOUR_RASPBERRY:8083 to get access to the demo UI.

Installation seems to be ok but the z-wave-server will not start.

It is however working fine with if I use the 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian image but I would like to combine with Squeezeplug in the same Raspberry Pi.

Any hints is really appreciated

Best regards Walter
by krambriw » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:23 am
I tried now again with 6.02 HF version of the SqueezePlug image....and it worked fine!!!

So in all, LMS, Spotify and Razberry with Z-Way is working excellent alltogether

Next step is that I will start develop a plugin for EventGhost to communicate with Z_Way...

Thanks and Best regards, Walter
by ArnaudTlse » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 pm
Hi,

I've a problem to boot on a SqueezePlug SD image :twisted:

I've a two Rpi working fine with the Raspbian base image, doing what I want with. But impossible to boot a SqueezePlug image. I don't understand.

Trying:
- 2 Rpi
- 3 SD Card (a 4Go & two 16Go!)
- 2 power (5V 2A from Samsung phone)
- Writing img to SD card with Mac OS and dd. And with a Windows Laptop with USBit(don't remember the name). Seens to write well, FAT partition is visible to computer.
- Download img again, boot fine in the QEmu Raspberry emulator

Realy don't understand why... :oops:

I you have an idea ! :mrgreen:
by ArnaudTlse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm
The problem is solved.

My Rpi are to new, the /boot is unable to boot I think.
Changing the /boot files of the SqueezePlug image with last ones from here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot
make it boot nice.

Good :mrgreen: