SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

450 posts   Page 14 of 18   1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
by AndyBeevers » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 am
I use squeezeslave not squeezelite . I installed the server as well as the slave from the 'setup' program.

If you goto /etc/init.d directory you can manually start and stop it by using the command ./squeezeslave restart or ./squeezeslave stop.

I made a manual change to the /etc/init.d file ( really you should add a file in /etc/default but I am lazy).

1. cd /etc/init.d
2. nano squeezeslave
3. find SSOPTIONS
4. copy line and replace -y84 with -o0

it was
SSOPTIONS="-y84"

now
#SSOPTIONS="-y84"
SSOPTIONS="-o0"

On my raspberry this points the sound to the USB DAC rather than the analog output.

for more details see viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22580

Please remember be careful when changing the file. And after the change re-start the service.

By the way when you finish try using squeezepad to control it from the ipad. Finishes off the whole installation.

have fun Andy
by castalla » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:13 pm
Bad vibes!

I tried this - stopping caused a massive blast of noise ...

Also, the sound quality is defiinitely not as good as squeezelite.
by AndyBeevers » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:35 pm
I shall try squeezelite later and see if it works for me. Definitely have found squeezeslave very good.
by AndyBeevers » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:02 pm
I have removed squeezeslave and installed squeezelite via the setup menu.

I stopped squeezelite by cd /etc/init.d and running ./squeezelite stop

I ran squeezelite -l and found the output I wanted - USB speaker...

Code: Select all
sysdefault:CARD=Speaker        - USB Speaker, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=Speaker,DEV=0       - USB Speaker, USB Audio - Front speakers
  surround40:CARD=Speaker,DEV=0  - USB Speaker, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
  surround41:CARD=Speaker,DEV=0  - USB Speaker, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround50:CARD=Speaker,DEV=0  - USB Speaker, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
  surround51:CARD=Speaker,DEV=0  - USB Speaker, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround71:CARD=Speaker,DEV=0  - USB Speaker, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
  iec958:CARD=Speaker,DEV=0      - USB Speaker, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
  sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device

I decided on the first option.

I modified the file squeezelite in the /etc/init.d directory by

Code: Select all
LMHOST = "192.168.0.10" # my squeezebox server ( not the player IP address)
SLOPTIONS= "-o sysdefault:CARD=Speaker -a3000:50 -n Valve_HiFi"

SLOPTIONS
-o is the USB sound card
-a not sure but hoped this would buffer the streaming as there appears to be a gap in sound every now and then.
-n name of the player (to use in squeezepad) as I have several.

So this now all works apart from the slight gap in sound every now and then. If anyone has some ideas please let me know. I suspect it is the network.... Or the NAS ( Bubba 2 from Excito)

Thanks for the suggestion to use lite - the quality is astounding.
Andy
by phil001 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:11 pm
Hi, haven't a clue if this is the right place to post so please excuse me if not!
I have an old desktop computer with my music stored on it (mp3s). I have serviio running on it, so my TV can access it via dlna.

I'm looking for a cheap way to play this music through my hi fi, and ideally control using an android phone.

For someone with no programming experience, (but very able to follow guides etc accurately!) would squeeze plug do the job if I purchased a raspi? I've been told I need a DAC too? Any suggestions on a cheap one?

Any advice appreciated
Thanks
by castalla » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 pm
Yes. It will be a solution.

You need to install the Logitech Media Server (which will link to the music files on the laptop). You can also install Squeezelite player. You would connect the Pi audio to your hifi.

There are various android controllers (which you could use to control the squeezelite player) -eg. Logitech controller (free), OrangeSqueeze (pay, but good).

The tricky bit is to choose a compatible DAC (users are experimenting with various types) - depending on your 'audiophile' tendencies, you could just start out by using the Pi analog audio. I find it perfectly acceptable - but my standards are not so demanding!
by phil001 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:45 am
Thanks for the reply.
Can you confirm, what is squeezelite? Is it part of squeezeplug or a different thing all together?

And it would not be compatible withe serviio which is already on my desktop? Would Logitech media server run along side it OK?

Thanks again!
by castalla » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:30 am
You need a LMS server to manage your music files. This can be installed on the Pi, or on your desktop.

You also need a 'player' - this is Squeezelite. It comes as part of the Squeezeplug package and would be installed on the Pi - Sqlite uses the LMS to get the data to play.

to play.How would the Pi, the laptop and desktop be connected to your network - wired or wifi?
by AndyBeevers » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:41 am
The slight gap in music was a power issue. By connecting a powered hub it now works fine.

I use squeezedroid ( free) on a HTC Hero Andriod 2.1 primarily for volume control but it can select music etc. The squeezepad on the IPad is a better bet. Easier to use - maybe the screen size.

Squeezelite is part of the Squeezeplug suite that you install on the raspberry - all point and shoot. You can get squeezelite for other platforms - I am looking to install it on a Ubuntu machine for the kitchen.

The DAC I use is the 'USB Wireless Audio Kit' from NIKKAI. It is quite old ( 2 years) and was connected to my PC - still being sold in maplins as a Wireless PC to Stereo Audio Transmitter (£40.00). Being wireless I can connect the receiver to the PrimaLuna ProLogic One and have the raspberry on a shelf near the computer - not sure quite why. I am looking to purchase a Pro-Ject DAC Box (Austrian company) when I am satisfied that the solution has a future for me.

Hope that helps - the whole setup is starting to come together for me.

I have:
    Excito Bubba 2 ( 1TB) which holds the ~6000 tracks of music and runs the squeezebox server locked away in a cupboard and backed up weekly ( also a general NAS and email server)
    Raspberry Pi installed with Squeezeplug and running Squeezelite with a powered hub for a wireless transmitter to a DAC coupled to a
    PrimaLuna ProLogic One valve amplifier with Mission floor standing speakers all controlled by
    Squeezepad on the IPad and Squeezedroid on the HTC
by phil001 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 pm
castalla wrote:You need a LMS server to manage your music files. This can be installed on the Pi, or on your desktop.

You also need a 'player' - this is Squeezelite. It comes as part of the Squeezeplug package and would be installed on the Pi - Sqlite uses the LMS to get the data to play.

to play.How would the Pi, the laptop and desktop be connected to your network - wired or wifi?

Thanks for explaining.

There is no laptop involved.

Desktop hard wired to router.

Pi probably wireless-i do have a spare WiFi dongle I assume I could use. But would like to have it hard wired if I can get a cable in. Was planning on putting the pi next to the HiFi (only a mini system,nothing fancy!) Not sure how powering it up works, just leave on all the time?...
by castalla » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:42 pm
So, is the music on PC? What OS?

You may be able to use the wifi dongle - but only certain ones work reliably. Wired is better.

The Pi is either on or off - there's no easy way to suspend/sleep - it uses so little power I leave mine on 24/7 - been running now for about 4 months.

It's worth getting a decent power supply for the Pi - I'm using the Kindle power adapter - seems good quality.
by phil001 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:51 pm
AndyBeevers wrote:The slight gap in music was a power issue. By connecting a powered hub it now works fine.

I use squeezedroid ( free) on a HTC Hero Andriod 2.1 primarily for volume control but it can select music etc. The squeezepad on the IPad is a better bet. Easier to use - maybe the screen size.

Squeezelite is part of the Squeezeplug suite that you install on the raspberry - all point and shoot. You can get squeezelite for other platforms - I am looking to install it on a Ubuntu machine for the kitchen.

The DAC I use is the 'USB Wireless Audio Kit' from NIKKAI. It is quite old ( 2 years) and was connected to my PC - still being sold in maplins as a Wireless PC to Stereo Audio Transmitter (£40.00). Being wireless I can connect the receiver to the PrimaLuna ProLogic One and have the raspberry on a shelf near the computer - not sure quite why. I am looking to purchase a Pro-Ject DAC Box (Austrian company) when I am satisfied that the solution has a future for me.

Hope that helps - the whole setup is starting to come together for me.

I have:
    Excito Bubba 2 ( 1TB) which holds the ~6000 tracks of music and runs the squeezebox server locked away in a cupboard and backed up weekly ( also a general NAS and email server)
    Raspberry Pi installed with Squeezeplug and running Squeezelite with a powered hub for a wireless transmitter to a DAC coupled to a
    PrimaLuna ProLogic One valve amplifier with Mission floor standing speakers all controlled by
    Squeezepad on the IPad and Squeezedroid on the HTC

Thanks for info, think your setup is more complicated than I need but interesting and helpful read
by phil001 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:55 pm
castalla wrote:So, is the music on PC? What OS?

You may be able to use the wifi dongle - but only certain ones work reliably. Wired is better.

The Pi is either on or off - there's no easy way to suspend/sleep - it uses so little power I leave mine on 24/7 - been running now for about 4 months.

It's worth getting a decent power supply for the Pi - I'm using the Kindle power adapter - seems good quality.

Music is on an external hard drive attached to the pc . running xp. Its about 8 years old but keeps running, pretty slow though!
Will look at getting an Ethernet cable in if possible.

Guess I could get it up and ruining without a DAC then add one as and when I want?
Many thanks
by castalla » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 pm
You'll need to have some kind of samba/sharing service on the PC so that the LMS on the Pi can see the drive - not sure how to do ths in XP.

I'd try the audio output first - then get a dac if you aren't too happy.
by phil001 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:44 pm
castalla wrote:You'll need to have some kind of samba/sharing service on the PC so that the LMS on the Pi can see the drive - not sure how to do ths in XP.

I'd try the audio output first - then get a dac if you aren't too happy.

Thanks.
Thought serviio might be sufficient for that, but will need someone to confirm I guess

Many thanks
by castalla » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:52 pm
I don't think serviio will work. It's a server in its own right. LMS needs to access the music files as a folder on the PC - this means the folder must be accessible to other computers on your network - windows shares will do the job - is that enabled on XP?
by drgeoff » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:18 pm
castalla wrote:I don't think serviio will work. It's a server in its own right. LMS needs to access the music files as a folder on the PC - this means the folder must be accessible to other computers on your network - windows shares will do the job - is that enabled on XP?

Yes, right click on the folder and select 'Sharing and Security ...' from the menu that appears.
by phil001 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:28 pm
Really don't know, I know I can share folders which I can then access on other PCs on the network,is that what you mean? but sure I can sort it or install whatever I need to once I get the pi (may be a few weeks anyway).

Thanks for the help
So shopping list is
Pi
SD card
Network cable/WiFi dongle
USB keyboard&mouse (i have got a wireless set if it will work)
Power supply
by castalla » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:50 pm
For what you are using the Pi for, you don't really need a keyboard or mouse.

You access the Pi (for configuration of the LMS install, and Squeezelite player) by using PuTTY on your PC. You need the Pi connected by ethernet on first boot to get it working and configured.

You should also get a cheap case for the PI.
by phil001 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 pm
OK thanks, I'll have to read up on that if its easy to use!
by phil001 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 am
Just one more question I forgot to ask...
Would this setup allow me to play internet radio at all?
Thanks
by truehl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 am
phil001 wrote:Just one more question I forgot to ask...
Would this setup allow me to play internet radio at all?
Thanks

Of course it does. You can also use Spotify and other pretty things!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by phil001 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:04 am
thanks, sorry for the noob-like questions!
by truehl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 pm
phil001 wrote:thanks, sorry for the noob-like questions!

no problem !!!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by phil001 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:06 pm
still trying to get my head around this a bit..(what the server does/what the player does/where to store music etc!)
theoretically(not planning on this just yet!), could I use a different RPi (connected to an amp & speakers of some sort) in each room.
Then just use an single android device to control what music is playing in which room.
And in this case would the best thing be to intsall LMS on just the PC storing the music, then just the squeezelite player on each RPi

Or is it wasteful and not cost effective to use the Rpi as a player only and not a server.