I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

768 posts   Page 23 of 31   1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31
by Omega Ra » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:11 pm
Got my last piece and my Pi is ALIVE!!! now I just have to make the boot config for sound and such, I forget was there a way to make it shut down when I close the lid instead of reboot?
by Omega Ra » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 pm
Okay, so I am typing this on my new PiTop. still need to mount the Pi to the back of the lid, but all is working well so far, haven't tested the sound yet, but i did make the changes to the onfig.txt so all should be working, I will see soon enough.
by magno23 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm
besides amazon does anyone have any idea where i can buy this atrix lapdock in europe?
by Omega Ra » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 am
I got mine on ebay, mine is a bionic though
by b87lar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:03 am
I have bought the bionic lapdock and encountered a major hurdle: the voltage on the lapdock micro USB port is only 3.5V, which is insufficient to power up my Pi.
This voltage doesn't change with the state of the lapdock battery charge or if I run it on power adapter.

The lapdock otherwise works perfectly fine, just need to power the Pi separately from another source -- frustrating, since that beats the purpose...

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Many thanks
by b87lar » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:12 am
Actually, i correct myself. It seems the micro USB off the lapdock does not supply any power (lid open, hdmi connected to raspi). But the two external USB (A) for keyboard and mouse that come out of the lapdock do supply the correct voltage 5V.
So I wonder if this is an issue specific to bionic lapdock, or just this particular one. Please can anyone confirm that they can detect 5V on the micro USB output? Thank you!
by Akcofolb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:07 am
I have the Motorola Atrix lapdock and I'm having a problem getting it going with my RPi model B Rev 2 (China). I am using a short micro USB to micro USB cable with a micro to type A adapter to plug into the RPi. I have the short micro HDMI to micro HDMI cable with Micro to standard adapter as recommended in another post in this thread. I edited config.txt to force HDMI.

When I plug the RPi into the lapdock using those two cables, I get the unpleasant odor of something overheating and the Pi doesn't boot. The Pi is mounted in an Adafruit Pi Box (top off) and I can't identify what is getting hot - I haven't left it plugged in long enough to see smoke. I tried just connecting the HDMI cable and powering the Pi with the Adafruit power supply and it boots fine and displays on the lapdock.

Any ideas what could be going wrong here? Does this sound like a defective USB cable problem? My Pi doesn't need any more baking and I don't want to stress it too much troubleshooting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Wally
by malakai » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:49 am
Try plugging in the HDMI to anything with HDMI out. If you don't experience any issues displaying on screen the next is USB and then troubleshoot there. where did you get the Lapdock it could be defective and that would be something that would upset me a bit. The smells can sometimes be normal but are always something to be very wary of . I hope you get it going though It is great. I have 3 and they do have some issues at times. Takes a few minutes for keyboard to get functioning but other that that no issues really.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by conundrum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:25 pm
Hi, now the model A is out I might have a go at using my defunct Panasonic portable DVD as a PiTop (tm) :-)

The problem is that despite having video input, FM transmitter, a 9 hour battery and a nice Pi-shaped hole where the defunct DVD mechanism used to fit the height is just a bit too short. :evil:
Any ideas?
Thought maybe milling the case would do the job, and repositioning the SD slot to support several microSDs with a small switch to select one as boot and the rest as external storage... ?

A lot of these do fail due to DVD drive going kaput and Panasonic can't repair them for some reason so there are a lot out there on Craigslist etc.
Usually the batteries still hold some charge and the screen is essentially 800*480 which is not too bad- replacing the energy sucking CCFL with LEDs could allow 3-D to be done with active glasses.

-A
#include "1.21Gigawatts.h"
by Jim Manley » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:50 pm
b87lar wrote:Actually, i correct myself. It seems the micro USB off the lapdock does not supply any power (lid open, hdmi connected to raspi). But the two external USB (A) for keyboard and mouse that come out of the lapdock do supply the correct voltage 5V.
So I wonder if this is an issue specific to bionic lapdock, or just this particular one. Please can anyone confirm that they can detect 5V on the micro USB output? Thank you!

I have both Atrix and Bionic lapdocks and, other than the Bionic micro-USB and micro-HDMI connectors being rotated 180 degrees around their longitudinal axis (as compared with the Atrix connectors), the lapdocks power and run with all of the Pi Model B variants just fine. The plastic bezel that the micro-USB and micro-HDMI connectors are mounted on can be popped out if you look carefully for some jeweler screwdriver sized slots at each end of the bezel (a small paper clip might even work). That will give you access to the wiring to the connectors, but to dig deeper, you would have to remove the screws from the bottom of the lapdock and pull the cover off the back behind the display hinge. That will reveal the majority of the circuitry for the lapdock (except for the trackpad) and you can check voltages across the various circuit boards there.

You want to avoid filling a USB-A connector on the back of the lapdock with the power connection to the Pi if possible, as they come in handy for using a USB WiFi dongle, etc. I plug an LED light on a gooseneck into the other connector to illuminate the keyboard and documents when I'm working late at night, Steven King style. He reportedly works on his books in a small RV trailer parked inside his house in Maine, with no lights on other than a small one so he can see his typewriter. Sometimes he turns that one off, too, so that it's completely dark and his imagination can scare the living crap out of himself! Hey, whatever works, right? :shock:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by johnbeetem » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:01 pm
b87lar wrote:Actually, i correct myself. It seems the micro USB off the lapdock does not supply any power (lid open, hdmi connected to raspi). But the two external USB (A) for keyboard and mouse that come out of the lapdock do supply the correct voltage 5V.

I have a Motorola Atrix Lapdock and it delivers the full 5V from the Micro USB plug. Have you checked your Micro USB female to full-size USB A male cable and/or adapters? Maybe there's a broken Vbus wire in one of them.

If you want to play around inside your Lapdock, take a look at the RasPi Hardware Wiki and its links: http://elinux.org/RPi_Screens#Motorola_Atrix_Lapdock

As part of my Lapdock investigations, I created a pinout of the 30-pin Atrix Lapdock 30-pin connector that connects to the Micro HMDI and Micro USB plugs, which might be useful: http://www.element14.com/community/grou ... ork-around
by johnbeetem » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:42 pm
Akcofolb wrote:... When I plug the RPi into the lapdock using those two USB cables, I get the unpleasant odor of something overheating and the Pi doesn't boot. The Pi is mounted in an Adafruit Pi Box (top off) and I can't identify what is getting hot - I haven't left it plugged in long enough to see smoke. I tried just connecting the HDMI cable and powering the Pi with the Adafruit power supply and it boots fine and displays on the lapdock.

Any ideas what could be going wrong here? Does this sound like a defective USB cable problem? My Pi doesn't need any more baking and I don't want to stress it too much troubleshooting.

Sounds like a defective USB cable or adapter, perhaps shorting Vbus to GND somewhere. Lapdock's Micro USB is designed to charge a smart phone, so it can deliver a lot of current.

The trick is tracking down the short if it is indeed the case. Here's some suggestions:

1. With an Ohmmeter, check whether the USB cable or adapter has Vbus shorted to ground. Check both the ground pin and the shield. I attach safety pins to my probe tips for checking Micro USB pins. You can find USB pinouts at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Connector_types

2. With RasPi power off, plug your USB cable+adapter into a RasPi full-size USB A port (the other end disconnected) and see if this shorts RasPi's 5V to ground using an Ohmmeter between TP1 and TP2. If this does short, try it with just the adapter. Try both RasPi USB A ports.

3. Disconnect HDMI: this makes Lapdock turn off all USB ports. Connect your USB cable+adapter between a RasPi USB A port and Lapdock's Micro USB plug. Use an Ohmmeter to see if this shorts RasPi's 5V to ground as in suggestion #2.

4. What happens if you have your USB cable+adapter plugged into the Lapdock's Micro USB jack and NOT connected to RasPi, and then connect the Micro HDMI to RasPi to turn on Lapdock? Do you get the overheating smell? This suggests a short in the USB cable or adapter. Try it with just the cable.

5. See if you can power RasPi from one of Lapdock's full-size USB A ports using a USB A male to Micro USB male cable plugged into RasPi's Micro USB power jack. You must have HDMI connected to turn on RasPi's internal 5V power and open Lapdock to power its USB A ports. This will tell you whether Lapdock's 5V is sound. Powering a RasPi this way doesn't give you the data connection you need for keyboard and track pad, but you can at least see if it boots.

Someone upstream in this thread has a cable that connects the ID pin to Vbus. I had never heard of that before. Usually ID is connected to GND at the master end of an OTG cable or left floating. But it's conceivable that your cable attaches ID to Vbus and your adapter connects ID to GND, which causes the short. This would be detected by suggestion #1.
by rurwin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:16 pm
My lapdock has arrived, :D and very expensive it was too after customs and ParcelForce had extracted their pound of flesh. :cry:

The one thing missing from the teardown video is taking the screen to pieces. I want to mount the Pi to the back of the screen, so being able to disassemble it would be very useful. Can anyone enlighten me on where the screws and clips are, and what order I should do things in?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by hwntw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm
[quote="awdorrin"]As of last night, I have my PI working with 'raspbian' and the Lapdock 100. Pretty cool setup!
Hello, I cant get my lapdock 100 to power up, my RPi is powered on and tested on another system.
Can you please describe and give me sources for the cables/connectors you are using to link the lapdock and Pi?
by johnbeetem » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:29 pm
rurwin wrote:My lapdock has arrived, :D and very expensive it was too after customs and ParcelForce had extracted their pound of flesh. :cry:

The one thing missing from the teardown video is taking the screen to pieces. I want to mount the Pi to the back of the screen, so being able to disassemble it would be very useful. Can anyone enlighten me on where the screws and clips are, and what order I should do things in?

You may be able to make use of tear-down photos and video linked from the RasPi Hardware Wiki: http://elinux.org/RPi_Screens#Motorola_Atrix_Lapdock

I've only taken the cover off the PC board that has the USB ports, and the folding thingummy with the Micro USB and Micro HDMI plugs. The PCB board cover has screws under the rubber pads: pry them up with a small screwdriver. The folding thingummy has screws under black circles that are glued on -- easy to pry off with an X-acto knife. In general, I have found the Atrix Lapdock to be well-made and not too hard to take apart.
by johnbeetem » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 pm
hwntw wrote:Hello, I can't get my lapdock 100 to power up, my RPi is powered on and tested on another system.
Can you please describe and give me sources for the cables/connectors you are using to link the lapdock and Pi?

There's a section on the Atrix Lapdock at the RasPi Hardware Wiki: http://elinux.org/RPi_Screens#Motorola_Atrix_Lapdock

It has a general theory of operation that summarizes lore reported earlier in this thread, and has links to other Lapdock information including where to get cables. In your case, there's a good chance that your Micro HDMI cable doesn't implement the individual ground wires. The wiki talks about this.
by hwntw » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 am
Ah, my post was specifically addressed to @awdorrin, as he has the same lapdock as I. If his cables work, then I must get the same. My question still stands.
by sheriff076 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:32 pm
I just want to add to the thread that another unwanted Lapdock is now in use. I ordered my Lapdock from eBay, one of the Hebrew keyboard versions and it looked brand spanking new, plus a few FE adaptors and it all works. I did need to force HDMI for audio and the speakers are tinny so no issues.

Thanks must go to John Beetman for the comprehensive Element 14 article that gave me the confidence to take a punt on relatively expensive blind purchase.

Happy docking every one!!
by Fox0 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:33 pm
Hey got everything working except mouse/keyboard is there anything that I'm missing like something I need to change in the config? Used this http://rpidock.blogspot.de/2012/05/rasp ... k.html?m=1 Blog to set it up
by sheriff076 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:06 am
Hello,

They keyboard, mouse and Dock USB sockets should just work with the correct adaptor arrangement.
At the risk of stating the obvious, you are powering the Pi from either the adaptor cable described in your link. Or for boards made around October onwards its ok to power via one of the USB A sockets.

If you made an adaptor could you test it with another device and computer to make sure the data are working?
by Fox0 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:13 pm
To power to Pi I'm using a standard Phone Charger Cable (USB/Micro USB) off one of the two USB Ports of the Lapdock works fine, I'm thinking that the Micro USB from the Lapdock is for the Touchpad and Keyboard right? Which would mean that either the USB Male to USB Male Cable, the USB to Micro USB Adapter Cable or the Lapdock Keyboard/Touchpad doesn't work do i think right about that?
by johnbeetem » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:47 pm
Fox0 wrote:To power to Pi I'm using a standard Phone Charger Cable (USB/Micro USB) off one of the two USB Ports of the Lapdock works fine, I'm thinking that the Micro USB from the Lapdock is for the Touchpad and Keyboard right? Which would mean that either the USB Male to USB Male Cable, the USB to Micro USB Adapter Cable or the Lapdock Keyboard/Touchpad doesn't work do i think right about that?

There were two users with similar problems -- now solved -- at Drew Fustini's Atrix Lapdock 'blog entry at element14. I suggest looking at the comments from 29 Jan through 16 Feb 2013. Charlosimo had to pop off the curved shield from the dock for his USB cable to plug in all the way. He posted some nice photos.

Here's the link: http://www.element14.com/community/grou ... p#/?page=2
by Fox0 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:13 pm
So tested some stuff, tried the USB A Female to Micro USB B Female Cable with an old MP3 Player and a USB Keyboard both works without a problem. I got even the Lapdock Keyboard/Touchpad shortly working with my PC, same setup like i would do it with my Pi except the Micro USB from the Lapdock connected to one of the USB Ports of my PC. Tried the same again with the Pi but obv. didnt work and i cant get it working with my PC anymore.... I'm think the USB Male to USB Male Cable is faulty gonna try to get another one tomorrow, i have sadly nothing else to test it with atleast nothing i could think of right now.
by johnbeetem » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:33 am
Fox0 wrote:... I'm think the USB Male to USB Male Cable is faulty gonna try to get another one tomorrow, i have sadly nothing else to test it with atleast nothing i could think of right now.

USB male-to-male adapters work nicely, and reduce length of the cables. This is particularly nice for back-powering RasPi through a USB A port, which you can do with a RasPi rev 2.0 or rev 1.0 with polyfuses F1 and F2 replaced with 0 Ohm jumpers or higher-current fuses.
by Fox0 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm
The Lapdock Keyboad/Touchpad works now all the time with my PC (running Win8 atm) but still doesn't work with the Pi (tried raspbian and raspbmc today). The Pi works with every other USB Device i have, i'll even tried another Pi... i have absolutely no clue what the problem is.