I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

766 posts   Page 22 of 31   1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31
by Ryder » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:32 pm
Oh, and there is something about the fact that the micro USB is 5 pin...

http://dlhg.eternityproject.eu/Moto/olympus/photos/FAC_CAB.jpg

This shows a cable that ties the "extra" pin back to Vcc... is that necessary?
by Bobknopfler » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:55 pm
Hi Ryder,

I had a problem where I couldn't get the keyboard or touchpad to work despite making all of the suggested connections. I decided to use a meter to check the connections in my 'Y' cable and found that the white and green wires for the usb data lines were switched, i.e. white at one end buzzed out with green at the other. To resolve the problem I connected the white usb data wire from the lapdock to the green wire from the rpi usb A connector, then connected the green wire from the dock to the white wire of the rpi. Bingo!

Hope this helps.
by Ryder » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:10 pm
Interesting... where did you do the wire swap??? Did you cut the cable? Rewire the connector in the lapdock ? I'm not visualizing where you're making the change....

Thanks!

(as I think about it... you're probably following the Adafruit approach, where you're working with fully cut cables... )
by Bobknopfler » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:29 pm
You're right, Adafruit and some other references for making a 'Y' cable.

All you need to do is reverse the green/white connections. Hope it works for you too.
by Ryder » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:43 pm
Well, it's still a mystery...

The issue may be the "sense" pin on the micro... pin 4. Some diagrams show it connected to pin 1.

My cable does not do this. Can someone confirm if the LapDock expects the micro-usb pin 1 and pin 4 to be connected for this purpose?

Thank you!
by johnbeetem » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:39 pm
Ryder wrote:On your blog, you say something interesting...

"2. If HDMI cable is connected and the Lapdock lid is closed, Lapdock supplies power to the Micro USB port (to charge an Atrix phone) but not to the USB A ports."

Since I have cut the red wire on this cable... it can no longer supply power to the PI, but before I cut it, it could/should have, yes? I don't recall power being on the pI with the lid down.

Time to get the multimeter...

Yes, with the Lapdock lid closed and HDMI cable connected to RasPi, Lapdock's Micro USB plug should have powered RasPi. That's how it works with my Lapdock.
by johnbeetem » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:05 pm
Ryder wrote:Well, it's still a mystery...

The issue may be the "sense" pin on the micro... pin 4. Some diagrams show it connected to pin 1.

My cable does not do this. Can someone confirm if the LapDock expects the micro-usb pin 1 and pin 4 to be connected for this purpose?

Thank you!

According to Wikipedia (link here), the ID signal on pin 4 is either connected to ground (pin 5) or not connected. On my 25 cm Micro USB B female to USB A female cable (link here) pin 4 is not connected. The ID signal is used for OTG (On The Go). A Mini/Micro USB A plug connects ID to ground to tell the connected device to act as a host. A Mini/Micro USB B plug leaves ID floating to tell the connected device to act as a slave. Since Lapdock's Micro USB plug is the upstream port for Lapdock's internal hub, it should act as a slave and not as a host so ID floating is correct. I've never seen ID connect to Vbus before.

Here's another thing to try. According to the USB standard, a full-speed device should pull USB signal D+ high through a 1.5K resistor. A low-speed device instead pulls USB signal D- high through a 1.5K resistor. A high-speed USB device like Lapdock pulls D+ high until the device is connected and switched to high-speed. So with RasPi disconnected, see if Lapdock is pulling D+ (pin 3) high. It it's pulling D- (pin 2) high instead, then you probably have D+ and D- reversed somewhere. You may need a 10K or so pull-down resistor to ground so that D+ or D- goes low if it's floating.
by Ryder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:21 am
Well, SUCCESS!

Sadly, I'm not sure what did it. I MAY be dealing with two problems.

I connected pin 4 to Vcc (pin1) on the micro side, and then I have discovered that the keyboard doesn't work in the LOWER USB port on the PI.

So the issue is which USB port I use, AND/OR connecting pins 1&4.

I tried it about a gazillion times, and I can't imagine that each and every time I used the same (problematic) USB port... hmmm I guess I'll never know.

Interestingly, my tiny wifi module in that very same USB port, works fine!

Go figure. You have to know that ALL pins on that port are working, if wifi is working (it is)
by Mr Floppy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:32 am
Clinto wrote:As far as the HDMI connector goes... does anyone know of a way to connect the lapdock to the pi without buying adapters from China? I just worry about the wait time because I'm impatient. I found a female micro to male mini for 30$ at Walmart that came in a little bundle but that doesn't help a whole lot. I don't mind spending 30-40$ for something I can have now and that I know works.

It's a test of patience. I ordered some from DX and some of the adapters are backorded. . Unfortunately only half were shipped but luckily the female micro hdmi to female hdmi adapter is coming. Not so fortunate is the micro USB female to USB male adapter .. lots of shaving to do there.
by Omega Ra » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 pm
Jim Manley wrote:
Omega Ra wrote:will the class 10 make any difference?

It appears that most Class 10 cards work fine, but there are some that won't, and none of them will work at Class 10 speed due to a hardware limitation in the SD card interface to the GPU that requires a significant modification to enable a high-speed SD mode. See http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards for a compatibility chart.

So then using my Class 4 32GB card would be just as good since the Pi isn't working at Class 10 speeds. I will save the class 10 for when I get a tablet :)
by Mr Floppy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 pm
Omega Ra wrote:So then using my Class 4 32GB card would be just as good since the Pi isn't working at Class 10 speeds. I will save the class 10 for when I get a tablet :)

Well that depends. The wiki I think uses the sequential read/write speeds for workstation/server use, the random read/write or IOPS is a much better indicator. Running something like IOMeter would give you that info. You don't even have to run it on the Pi but it would be nice.
by awdorrin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:52 pm
As of last night, I have my PI working with 'raspbian' and the Lapdock 100. Pretty cool setup!

One question for those of you using the 'lapdock 100' - have you managed to get the screen brightness buttons to work? By default the screen is really bright.

I've read through all the posts in this thread, and while I have seen some people saying the brightness buttons worked for them, it wasn't clear to me which lapdock it was working on.
by Omega Ra » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:56 pm
the lapdock should handle the screen brightness natively and they should just work. hold the Fn key and adjust the brightness. I myself cannot confirm as I am still waiting on a couple of cables/adapters from China...
by awdorrin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:56 am
Well, if I hold the Fn key and press the F5 or F6 button, the F5/F6 key sequence is sent.

So, for example, if I do: Fn-F5 - when the focus is on the web-browser window, the browser window gets 'F5' and refreshes the window.

I figured these buttons were default dim/bright not default F5/F6, but I'm not seeing any changes.

Not sure if the lapdock 100 works differently, or if my lapdock is defective.
by gragib » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:43 am
I got a micro-HDMI gender changer and micro-USB gender changer today from eBay.

Hooked up my Raspberry Pi to my Bionic Lapdock and boom! Everything works. No wire-splicing or any other hacks. Just plain works.
by Ryder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:10 am
So, any theories as to why an Atrix Lapdock works when the USB is plugged into the TOP USB port, and NOT the bottom one?

Keep in mind, the bottom port works perfectly with hardwired mice and keyboards, and wifi adapter.

Are there differences in these ports?
I'm totally scratching my head.

(PI 2.0, 512MB)
by gragib » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:06 pm
Ryder wrote:So, any theories as to why an Atrix Lapdock works when the USB is plugged into the TOP USB port, and NOT the bottom one?

Keep in mind, the bottom port works perfectly with hardwired mice and keyboards, and wifi adapter.

(PI 2.0, 512MB)
It doesn't matter which USB port I use; both work. I'm using a Bionic Lapdock with a 256MB Pi (with 0 ohm polyfuse) and a 512MB Pi. Both work flawlessly.
by johnbeetem » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 pm
Ryder wrote:So, any theories as to why an Atrix Lapdock works when the USB is plugged into the TOP USB port, and NOT the bottom one?

(PI 2.0, 512MB)

My guess would be that one of the USB contacts is slightly out of spec on the bottom USB jack and on your USB cable's plug. A USB plug uses PCB traces as contacts while a USB jack has spring contacts. If the jack's spring contact isn't sticking out far enough the plug's contact won't make good contact. It also depends on plug contact thickness, which is probably thicker on your working plugs.

You can check this theory by measuring resistance between USB jack pins where they're soldered on the back of the RasPi board and the Lapdock end of your USB cable, with power off of course.
by raven1962 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 pm
I freely admit I have no idea how, but I'm interested in trying to make a RasPI laptop. I have 2 old laptops that don't boot, that I can gut... Initially I'd say the old HP Presario would be the better of the 2, since the Dell has had tea spilled into it.

Will be going through the thread later this evening, but wanted to get some feedback on the idea. Admittedly, I have no idea exactly what I'm doing, but I can figure stuff out, as long as I don't need real fancy equipment. Budget is limited, so, if I can get by with a multimeter and soldering iron, should be good to go...
by malakai » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm
This topic can be a bit misleading it isn't so much we built a laptop with parts. It's more I found a pre-configured device (Motorola Atrix Lapdock) and figured out how to plug the Pi into it with female adapters.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by Clinto » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 am
Ok I got my HDMI adapter but still waiting on a micro-usb adapter. I plugged the lapdock into the hdmi and had a separate keyboard and mouse plugged directly into the Pi. I also had an external power source plugged in. The red light comes on as well as that flashing light for ACT but I can't get a picture on the lapdock. I thought maybe the peripherals were sucking too much juice but with everything plugged in and turned on it's measuring 4.97 on the multimeter.

I have two lapdocks(100) that I've tried it on so I'm assuming/hoping/not hoping that it's the hdmi cable or adapter. I'm currently using a male-micro male cable with a double micro female adapter so it could be either of those. I have other stuff on order but I had ordered those hurriedly when I first started looking into all this. If anyone has other ideas to troubleshoot while I'm waiting on more appropriate adapters other than the power supply please let me know.
by raven1962 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:30 am
If I gut the laptop, other than adapters to connect the keyboard, multi-touch 'mouse', screen, speakers, power and so forth, should it work? I mean, the thing won't boot, anyway, but I'd hate to waste a Raspi trying to do it. Basically, I would like to end up with something that will run something like the Firefox that I saw someone using, check email, play music, stuff like that. It sounds like it should. Haven't ordered one, yet, but I'm trying to get a feel for it.
by Mr Floppy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:28 am
raven1962 wrote:If I gut the laptop, other than adapters to connect the keyboard, multi-touch 'mouse', screen, speakers, power and so forth, should it work?

It's not as easy as "should it work". There are many things that may or may not work. For a start, the screen you'll either need a DSI solution or HDMI to LVDS solution.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2288#p32497
by yaconsult » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:03 am
I bought a new lapdock from ben's outlet for $50 a while ago.

I finally got the adapters I needed and hooked it up. I'm having a strange keyboard problem, though. When I type the letter "r" or the letter "w", I get "rw" on the screen. Checking all the other keys echos the correct letters. So I'm guessing that those two keys are shorted together somehow on the keyboard.

Bummer! Too late to return it now - it's been a couple of months. Has anyone else had keyboard issues and had to work on it?
by johnbeetem » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:05 pm
Clinto wrote:Ok I got my HDMI adapter but still waiting on a micro-usb adapter. I plugged the lapdock into the hdmi and had a separate keyboard and mouse plugged directly into the Pi. I also had an external power source plugged in. The red light comes on as well as that flashing light for ACT but I can't get a picture on the lapdock. I thought maybe the peripherals were sucking too much juice but with everything plugged in and turned on it's measuring 4.97 on the multimeter.

I have two lapdocks(100) that I've tried it on so I'm assuming/hoping/not hoping that it's the hdmi cable or adapter. I'm currently using a male-micro male cable with a double micro female adapter so it could be either of those. I have other stuff on order but I had ordered those hurriedly when I first started looking into all this. If anyone has other ideas to troubleshoot while I'm waiting on more appropriate adapters other than the power supply please let me know.

Is the Lapdock turning on when connected to RasPi HDMI? That is, when you open the Lapdock does the screen turn on with a message about no HDMI source or is the Lapdock still off? If it's the latter, you may have an incompatible HDMI cable. See the RasPi Hardware Wiki for more details: http://elinux.org/RPi_Screens#Motorola_Atrix_Lapdock

It could also be a problem with the RasPi's HDMI output. Have you checked that your RasPi works with a different monitor?

Otherwise it's probably the HDMI cable or adapter. Lapdock only needs the DDC/CEC ground line and another ground to turn on, so if any of the other lines are broken Lapdock will turn on when opened but not get a valid HDMI signal. If you have an extra HDMI male to Micro HDMI male cable you could see if that works as normal HDMI male to male using another HDMI device. Determining whether it's the cable or adapter that's failing is a pain. Sometime the problem is misaligned pins on the HDMI plug and skewing the plug slightly fixes the problem.