Red Light - Nothing Else

7 posts
by MorphMan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:02 pm
Hi All!

You've probably heard this problem a lot but even after searching the forums and google,
I am still having a problem with my RPi.

I was running web server all day and turn it off safely(using ssh) aftwerwards.
But now when I turn it on I only get a red power light. I've re-formatted the SD-card and put a new OS on
as well as unplugging all usbs. Still nothing - TV not detecting a signal, I've checked the SD-card slot's pins,
left it for 24hours and even checked for bad sectors on the SD-card.

I noticed that underneath the board the C33 component (under the light area) has come loose(and since fallen off)
Would this be the issue? If so how would I go about repairing it?

Thanks in advance,

Harry
by rpdom » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:56 pm
C33 just seems to be a standard decoupling capacitor for the +5V supply to the USB sockets. It shouldn't affect the boot sequence.

How do you think this capacitor became missing? Has the board been damaged in other ways? Have you tried pressing down on the SD card while booting? Have you inspected both the card and socket for any sign of minute damage (tiny cracks or bending)?

Heh, I'm asking all these questions while frowning at one of my model A's which has been failing to boot for a while now. The other model A works fine with the same SD cards.
by Burngate » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:06 pm
From the schematic at http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Raspberry-Pi-R2.0-Schematics-Issue2.2_027.pdf
C33.png
C33.png (11.73 KiB) Viewed 320 times
C33 shouldn't cause the problem you're having.
Unless you're good at soldering, replacing it will be difficult.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by MorphMan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:35 pm
Thanks for getting back quickly!

That's a relief that C33 doesn't seem to be that important(would've had a fun time getting that tiny component back on!)
Not sure as to how it(C33) fell off as its protected in a case and has been left sitting on the shelf.

I've had a good look at both the SD card and socket - no obvious bending or cracking and the pins seem to be in the correct
positions.
by Tarcas » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:31 pm
Not to be cold, but I'd say send it back for a warranty replacement, assuming it is still under warranty. That'll take care of both your problems at once.
by MorphMan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 pm
Hi Tarcas,

Yer I've thought of doing that, had it for just under 2 years tho so I'm not sure if it is still covered. Also a bit confused as to who deals with the warranty; I bought it from RSComponents but do I go straight RPi? any ideas?

Thanks
by Tarcas » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 pm
Sorry, I don't know, but Google can tell you the answer. ;-)