installation issue

5 posts
by titan1943 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 pm
i setting up the raspberry Pi using NOOB software (v1.3.2) and i was able to see the screen for the OS setup. While installing the OSes i had chosen previously, halfway suddenly an error occurred and after closed the error message, it never boots up again.

Error Message:
Error downloading or extracting tarballxz: read error
tar: short read

As i am new to raspberry pi development, i totally no idea what's going on. what's that possibly to cause this to happen? can anyone please help me?
i have plug into my raspbery Pi model-B with :
1) sd card(16gb samsung microSDHC UHS-1 card)
2) power adapter(5V, 1.1A)
3) network cable
4) keyboard & mouse
5) and a RCA cable to my TV.
by FTrevorGowen » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:40 pm
titan1943 wrote:i setting up the raspberry Pi using NOOB software (v1.3.2) and i was able to see the screen for the OS setup. While installing the OSes i had chosen previously, halfway suddenly an error occurred and after closed the error message, it never boots up again.
Error Message:
Error downloading or extracting tarballxz: read error
tar: short read
As i am new to raspberry pi development, i totally no idea what's going on. what's that possibly to cause this to happen? can anyone please help me?
i have plug into my raspbery Pi model-B with :
1) sd card(16gb samsung microSDHC UHS-1 card)
2) power adapter(5V, 1.1A)
3) network cable
4) keyboard & mouse
5) and a RCA cable to my TV.

Were you using NOOBS 1.3.2 Lite which downloads the O.S.'s as it installs? If so I think the error message means that either a partial download of your requested O.S. occurred, or it was corrupted due to network (connection errors).
Given that you're using quite a large SDHC card perhaps try the full version of NOOBS 1.3.2 instead and, if you can, perform a check of the "sha1sum" etc. (If you were already using the full version, were you able to check the sha1sum and confirm that the zipfile was complete etc?)
FWIW, there are screenshots of the NOOBS 1.3.2 full installation process using composite video here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... ellow.html
(With a "backlink" to NOOBS 1.3.2 lite using the default HDMI mode)
Trev.
Mainly running "Wheezy Raspbian" on seven Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, 2xB+ and an A+). Notes about them begin at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virginmedia.com/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Joe Schmoe » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:41 pm
Did you download the "lite" version of the "full" version of NOOBS?
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by titan1943 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:34 pm
Thanks for the replies. I was downloaded the full version of NOOBS, and I have already compare the checksum is correct.

Anyways, I'm currently reformatted my SD card and boot again the NOOBS in my Pi. Luckily, I was able to install raspbian successfully and prompted with a message box showing 'OS installed successfully'. After I pressed OK button, again the Pi shut down and never boot up again with a glowing red light. I tried to power on the raspberry pi again, it just doesn't want to boot, staying with the red light glowing forever there.

I have tried to troubleshoot the problem, referring to here http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting, its stated that Pi may not able to boot up when there are some files missing. I browse my sd card and found that 2 out of 3 files are missing, which is fixup.dat and start.elf, the only file i can found in my SD card is bootcode.bin.

One more thing, there is also no config.txt in there, but i have added and tested with no result too =(

my config.txt (edited using notepad++ with EOL in Unix mode) :
# Set stdv mode to PAL (as used in Europe)
sdtv_mode=2
# Force the monitor to HDMI mode so that sound will be sent over HDMI cable
#hdmi_drive=2
# Set monitor mode to DMT
#hdmi_group=2
# Set monitor resolution to 1024x768 XGA 60Hz (HDMI_DMT_XGA_60)
#hdmi_mode=16
# Make display smaller to stop text spilling off the screen
overscan_left=20
overscan_right=12
overscan_top=10
overscan_bottom=10
by FTrevorGowen » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:50 pm
titan1943 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was downloaded the full version of NOOBS, and I have already compare the checksum is correct.
Anyways, I'm currently reformatted my SD card and boot again the NOOBS in my Pi. Luckily, I was able to install raspbian successfully and prompted with a message box showing 'OS installed successfully'. After I pressed OK button, again the Pi shut down and never boot up again with a glowing red light. I tried to power on the raspberry pi again, it just doesn't want to boot, staying with the red light glowing forever there.
I have tried to troubleshoot the problem, referring to here http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting, its stated that Pi may not able to boot up when there are some files missing. I browse my sd card and found that 2 out of 3 files are missing, which is fixup.dat and start.elf, the only file i can found in my SD card is bootcode.bin.
One more thing, there is also no config.txt in there, but i have added and tested with no result too =(
my config.txt (edited using notepad++ with EOL in Unix mode) :
# Set stdv mode to PAL (as used in Europe)
sdtv_mode=2
# Force the monitor to HDMI mode so that sound will be sent over HDMI cable
#hdmi_drive=2
# Set monitor mode to DMT
#hdmi_group=2
# Set monitor resolution to 1024x768 XGA 60Hz (HDMI_DMT_XGA_60)
#hdmi_mode=16
# Make display smaller to stop text spilling off the screen
overscan_left=20
overscan_right=12
overscan_top=10
overscan_bottom=10

Several things come to mind:
1) The information at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting may be "out of date" in that the files needed for NOOBS to boot initially are not the same (or, rather, those that are similar have different names) as those, for example, Raspbian installed via a *.img file (the older, now considered an "advanced" method).
2) If I'm interpreting your config.txt correctly you're wishing to use composite video. To ensure that works correctly, after NOOBS has installed the O.S.('s) you wish to use there is an early step in the process that others have missed out, leading to apparent "boot failure" in the sense of "no (composite) video output". The step that is "missed out" (or misunderstood) is shown in the second photograph of those shown in my webpages here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... ellow.html and has been discussed elsewhere on the forum and raised as a formal "NOOBS issue".
3) What O.S. are you trying to install? (I experienced a similar problem with NOOBS lite which was downloading a version of Pidora which proved to be incompatible with NOOBS - IIRC @rdb "rolled back" to an earlier version which was O.K.)
4) There's also a possibility that your PSU/power cable combination may be marginal - what's its spec? (5V 1000mA or better?)
5) On re-boot does the green ACTivity LED flash at all, if only briefly?
Trev.
Mainly running "Wheezy Raspbian" on seven Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, 2xB+ and an A+). Notes about them begin at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virginmedia.com/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator