Raspbian init script bug

Wolfram's computation application

9 posts
by gdt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:50 am
Hi folks, Not sure which bugtracker to log this against, so I'll simply record it here for reference by others.

The file /etc/init.d/mathkernel doesn't contain a LSB header and this causes issues when adding or removing other daemons using update-rc.d (usually called by as part of the installation or removal of the a daemon's package).

Solve this by adding a header. Specifically, add this to the start of /etc/init.d/mathkernel

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
#
# start/stop mathematica daemon.

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          mathematica
# Required-Start:    $network $local_fs
# Required-Stop:     $network $local_fs
# Default-Start:     S 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Mathematica remote services
# Description:       Allows remote use of Mathematica.
### END INIT INFO
by kurtdcobain » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:54 pm
thank you ;)
by jojopi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:37 pm
gdt wrote:The file /etc/init.d/mathkernel doesn't contain a LSB header and this causes issues when adding or removing other daemons using update-rc.d (usually called by as part of the installation or removal of the a daemon's package).
What issues? I just see a harmless warning.
by alexatwri » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:33 pm
Well, that's embarrassing. That should be fixed in the next update. Thanks for bringing it to our attention...
by gdt » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:20 am
jojopi wrote:What issues? I just see a harmless warning.

It's harmless as long as you don't have packages which cause a unresolvable loop. For example, attempt to install both mathkernel and watchdog. One of the two services won't start.
by algorithm » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:23 am
Has this init.d script been removed from newer installations? I just re-installed wolfram-engine and there is nothing related in /etc/init.d

OT: desktop shortcuts still not automatically generated. Works from the menu shortcuts, though. Edit: ah sorry, maybe creating desktop shortcuts is not part of the installation anyway. If you want, a desktop icon is easily added by right-clicking the Mathematica icon in the Education menu and selecting "Add to desktop." Never mind this off-topic paragraph!
by alexatwri » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:50 pm
algorithm wrote:Has this init.d script been removed from newer installations? I just re-installed wolfram-engine and there is nothing related in /etc/init.d

Yes. That particular script was not supposed to be present in the first place. There should be a much more robust solution for using a daemonized kernel in the near future.
by algorithm » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 am
alexatwri wrote:
algorithm wrote:Has this init.d script been removed from newer installations? I just re-installed wolfram-engine and there is nothing related in /etc/init.d

Yes. That particular script was not supposed to be present in the first place. There should be a much more robust solution for using a daemonized kernel in the near future.

Thanks.
by paralight » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:45 pm
well, thanks again , got same error after a "sudo update-rc.d pyload defaults"