NIC : ERROR::handle_hc_chhltd_intr_dma:2537

4 posts
by vaporize » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 pm
Hi there,

It's been a long time I got a Pi using Raspbian with Apache2, OpenVPN and Cacti.
Several month ago, after using rpi-update, my NIC got random connectivity lost.

The only way I've found to reactivate it without reboot is to connect physically to the Pi, and doing "/etc/init.d/networking restart".

When I travel and I want to connect to my local network using VPN with Pi, this issue is terrible because in random time I lost connectivity to all my entire local network.
So I've put "/etc/init.d/networking restart" into crontab every hour.... I know it's ugly, but it allows me to reset my NIC automatically every hour if the problem appears.

Into "/var/log/messages" I can see this line when the problem occurs :

--------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR::handle_hc_chhltd_intr_dma:2537: handle_hc_chhltd_intr_dma: Channel 7, DMA Mode -- ChHltd set, but reason for halting is unknown, hcint 0x00000002, intsts 0x04600021

It appears that this error is known on this forum, but it seems related with using Wifi Dongle on Pi USB.
This is not my case, I'm using only wired RJ45 network with the NIC and nothing is plug on USB (I'm using SSH to manage the Pi).
According to this forum, the problem seems solved with august/september firmware update, but not for me, I got the issue yet.

I really don't understand what is causing this annoying problem so I'm posting this, maybe you'll can help me.

My Kernel :
root@raspberrypi:~# uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #538 PREEMPT Fri Aug 30 20:42:08 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

Thanks for reading.
by milhouse » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:57 pm
Seeing this too now with 3.10.18+ kernel. Also NYET/NACK/ACK messages are back (issue #205). Possibly both errors/messages are related. Not using a WiFi dongle, just a USB keyboard plugged into the Model B (512MB) USB port, and wired Ethernet.
by johnlonely » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:27 am
Vaporize, I have been playing with this issue 2 hours yesterday and I can confirm that the OpenVPN breaks the WiFi connection.

It runs smooth with wired connection.
by johnlonely » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:10 am
Update #1, I applied the Hexxeh kernel patch and the problem still persists.