rasp pi wifi

5 posts
by andydc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:37 am
I have just ordered my pi on amazon and am waiting on delivery but my mind is overflowing with questions on the possibilities of this supercool gizmo :D . so once i get my pi and boot it up with raspbian wheezy os sd card, i will then attach the edimax wifi adapter (the kosher one) i read somewhere that the os contains the driver for this wifi adapter so does that mean i wont have to install it? can i just connect it up and then use the wifi config utility to connect to my wifi network?

If i have to install it, can it be done from gui? or do all installations need to be perfromed via cli?

on the other hand if i connect it to my home network via ethernet cable will i be able to get straight online? or will there be any configuration to do once connected?

thanks in advance for all replies!
by DavidXN » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:25 pm
There will be a bit of configuration either way as Unix-based systems are very manual in their configuration - however, it shouldn't be too difficult to get wifi or wired Internet working. Personally I found it easier to use tools in the command line interface so that I could see exactly what it was doing - I used a combination of manual editing of the /etc/network/interfaces file and wcid.

elinux has a good guide on first-time setup: http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware_Basic_Setup
by klricks » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:27 pm
For WIFI just connect it and run the WIFI config in the GUI. Scan for your SSID and configure just like any other WIFI device. If your router has push-button config then you can use that to configure automatically. Click WPS on the WIFI config.
Note that the RPi has trouble with hidden SSIDs so be sure your SSID is broadcast from the router - not hidden.

Wired connections should just work without messing with anything.

It is best to use the WIFI dongle on a powered USB hub. You will need a hub anyway as the RPi does not have enough USB ports for WIFI, keyboard and mouse.
Go here for my RPi writeup. Basic config, Serial Port add-on etc:
http://home.budget.net/~klricks/Comp/RPi/Rpi.html
by suchenwi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:45 pm
Powered USB hubs are a good suggestion, but so far I am happily using my Pi (B rel. 2, China) without one.
Pi is powered from netbook USB. Of Pi's 2 USB ports, one has a card adapter (SD, microSD), the other has an unpowered 4x hub.
Hub has Edimax nano WiFi (beautiful little thing!), cabled mouse, cabled keyboard, 1 port free.
Alternatively, the Pi runs a tightVNC server, so I can use my netbook's keyboard/touchpad and external screen (24" full HD ;^) as a "terminal", and even get along without the hub.
by andydc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:50 pm
Cheers guys thanks for the help. Just can't wait until Tuesday until they deliver it! Looking forward to making a retropie!