Pi won't boot past splash screen

21 posts
by Robjones23 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:17 pm
Hi all,

I've tried to search around the forums / Internet for a solution but have been unable to find one so posting here was my last resort!

I've just taken delivery of a model B from RS in the uk. It came with a memory card which I formatted using the approved sd card tool and copied the latest noobs files (1.3?) from the site.

When I boot the pi, all I get on the screen is the rainbow splash screen.

I've got another pi running open elec so I powered it down and tried the sd card in the new pi - this doesn't work, I don't et anything on the screen.

I tried replacing the old pi with the new pi using the same power cable, sd card and Ethernet but got nothing on the screen.

I've tried everything I can think of and am beginning to suspect the board. Does anyone have any other ideas for me to try??

Thanks!!

Rob.
by rdb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:44 pm
Robjones23 wrote:Hi all,

I've tried to search around the forums / Internet for a solution but have been unable to find one so posting here was my last resort!

I've just taken delivery of a model B from RS in the uk. It came with a memory card which I formatted using the approved sd card tool and copied the latest noobs files (1.3?) from the site.

When I boot the pi, all I get on the screen is the rainbow splash screen.

I've got another pi running open elec so I powered it down and tried the sd card in the new pi - this doesn't work, I don't et anything on the screen.

I tried replacing the old pi with the new pi using the same power cable, sd card and Ethernet but got nothing on the screen.

I've tried everything I can think of and am beginning to suspect the board. Does anyone have any other ideas for me to try??

Thanks!!

Rob.

Could you try the version of NOOBS that is downloadable from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS/test/ and let me know if your problem still occurs?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Robjones23 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:53 am
Hi rdb,

The test version of NOOBS below produces the same result, just the rainbow splash screen. I've tried this with a couple of SD cards / Micro SD cards in different SD adapters, all with the same result.

I also tried imaging the working pi's card with the openelec setup and writing that to the SD for the new pi but it doesn't boot. I tried the same SD on the old pi and it booted fine.

Any other ideas or is this looking like a board issue? I've left the pi with the rainbow screen running and will check back in an hour or so to see if it's gotten anywhere.

Thanks,

Rob.
by Burngate » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 am
There was some talk about adding "Boot_delay=1" to config.txt - my Google-fu has deserted me so I can't link to it.
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by Robjones23 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:24 pm
Hmmm..... does anyone have a bit more info on this? I'm happy to try!

I left the rainbow screen for a couple of hours, but nothing else happened, it just sat there on that screen. The first pi setup was very simple so I'm certain I'm doing the right things, or at least certain I've done the same as before :)

Thanks,

Rob.
by stefaanbolle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:29 pm
try to put boot_delay=1 in /boot/config.txt
by Robjones23 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 pm
There is no /boot/config.txt (I'm looking at this in Windows 7) - either on NOOBS 1.3.1 or the image of the first pi's working openelec setup.
by FTrevorGowen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:41 pm
Robjones23 wrote:There is no /boot/config.txt (I'm looking at this in Windows 7) - either on NOOBS 1.3.1 or the image of the first pi's working openelec setup.

IIRC the equivalent of /boot/config.txt for NOOBS 1.3.1 is not in a place that can be seen by Windows (although it can via a linux box eg. another Pi). Instead, if you can get into NOOBS "recovery screen" NOOBS has its own editor to modify said equivalent.
I can't comment on Openelec since I've not "used it in anger".
Trev.
Mainly running "Wheezy Raspbian" on five Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2 & a B+). Notes about them begin at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virginmedia.com/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Robjones23 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:50 pm
Hmmm.... I couldn't find the config.txt file anywhere so I just added one into the root of the SD card. NOOBS 1.3.1 is now on screen and installing Openelec.... will see if this works when it's finished installing.
by Robjones23 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:03 pm
So, the install completed but I end up with just a black screen after a reboot. The config.txt I made is still in the root of the SD card I can see within windows.

If I watch the boot up, I get the rainbow screen then a 'hold shift for recovery mode' screen with a raspberry, then just a black screen.

Seems to be getting further - anyone got any more ideas?

Thanks,

Rob.
by DeeJay » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:09 pm
Well, we know your board boots from its SD card.. that's progress.

To try to get a display...

Display Mode Selection: By default, NOOBS will output over HDMI at your display's preferred resolution, even if no HDMI display is connected. If you do not see any output on your HDMI display or are using the composite output, press 1, 2, 3 or 4 on your keyboard to select HDMI preferred mode, HDMI safe mode, composite PAL mode or composite NTSC mode respectively.

Taken from here - https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/blob/master/README.md#about
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
by Robjones23 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:27 pm
Not sure if you're following the thread - I now have Openelec installed AFTER the NOOBS installation has completed, it's now black screening during what I assume must be openelec's startup. I think I will have to RMA the board, something is broken.
by DeeJay » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 pm
Robjones23 wrote:Not sure if you're following the thread - I now have Openelec installed AFTER the NOOBS installation has completed, it's now black screening during what I assume must be openelec's startup. I think I will have to RMA the board, something is broken.

Yes, I'm following it. It seems the video mode you have selected (or defaulted) during the NOOBS phase is not compatible with the installed OS when used with your display device. Which was why I wanted to suggest that you consider a different video mode.

If the board boots and produces a display using NOOBS I think the chances of a hardware fault on the board are slim. But I understand your frustration, so RMA'ing it might be a way to move forward.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
by Robjones23 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:59 pm
You raise a good point - I will try the old pi with working Openelec setup on the TV I'm connecting the new Pi to. If this works, then it can't be the display right?
by Robjones23 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:47 pm
So I tried the old pi on the same TV as the new Pi and it works fine - I've already tried the new pi on the old pi's TV and it still didn't work. I'll give RS a call tomorrow to arrange an RMA, seems a shame :(
by PaulHu » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:48 am
Hi Rob,

I am encountering exactly the same issue like you. It is quite frustrating when you spent several hours and what you see is a freeze splash color screen.

Please let me know what RS say about this? My stuff (board rev. B plus a preinstalled NOOBS SD card) also comes from them. Thanks.

Paul
by rdb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:55 am
PaulHu wrote:Hi Rob,

I am encountering exactly the same issue like you. It is quite frustrating when you spent several hours and what you see is a freeze splash color screen.

Please let me know what RS say about this? My stuff (board rev. B plus a preinstalled NOOBS SD card) also comes from them. Thanks.

Paul

It almost certainly isn't an issue with the board. Have you tried the v1.3.1 test release? There's a link earlier in this thread.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Robjones23 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:20 am
I've tried with 1.3.1 and the install of OpenElec didn't work. I don't understand how it can't be the board after I've tried replacing everything with a known-working setup - the board is the only thing I can't change....
by PaulHu » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:01 pm
I have tried installing Raspbian image on SD card using the suggested tool Win32diskimage. But what strange is, after writing the image to the SD card, the SD drive shown on windows becomes around 50MB in total with around 30 MB filled with files. At first I suspect something wrong with the downloaded Raspbian zip file. Then I compare the SHA-1 Checksum and it shows the file is O.K. Maybe there is something wrong with the image writing tool. Are there other image writing tools we can use?

Thanks.
Paul
by Robjones23 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:43 pm
Paul that's probably because you're looking at the drive post-image in windows. Windows won't read the Linux (or Unix, I forget which the pi uses) partitions as it's an unrecognised format. The 50MB or so you see is a recovery space as far as I know, the rest of the drive will be allocated as a non-windows partition and is expected.
by PaulHu » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:05 am
Paul that's probably because you're looking at the drive post-image in windows. Windows won't read the Linux (or Unix, I forget which the pi uses) partitions as it's an unrecognised format. The 50MB or so you see is a recovery space as far as I know, the rest of the drive will be allocated as a non-windows partition and is expected.

Rob, thanks for the explanation. My board boot now after I added line "boot_delay=1" in /boot/config.txt.