PDF Files

16 posts
by oo33oo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:39 am
Finally bought my Raspberry Pi yesterday from Maplins, installed RISC OS on to a 4GB SD card without any problems, once everything was plugged in switched on start up was very quick, when I type *FREE it shows that there is approx 1.7GB of space available, if I were to install RISC OS on to a 8GB SD card would this mean more space will be available?

I have a number of PDF magazine scans, Acorn User, Micro User etc, where would I place these PDF scans on the SD card? Is there a particular place where these should be placed or does it not matter, and when the SD card is inserted back into the Raspberry Pi and RISC OS is back up and running where would you locate these scans.
by Burngate » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:09 am
Warning: better advice will arrive shortly

As far as I know, there's no easy way to expand the RISC OS "partition" since RISC OS doesn't recognise DOS-style partitioning.

How do you intend to put those PDF files onto the card?
I get the impression you might be wanting to use a separate PC, perhaps a Windows one, which won't recognise the RISC OS file system.
If so, you could perhaps put them into the FAT partition, in which case you'll find them in SDFS::RISCOSPi.$.!Boot.Loader

An alternative (and what I'm doing) is to attach a USB stick, formatted on RISC OS, and move them over the network. But then, I've got VirtualRPC on my laptop, which makes that sort of thing easier
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by oo33oo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:24 am
When you attach a USB stick, do you need to format this to RISC OS once attached or do you have to do this before using an SD card format software, In also have VirtualRPC but cant seem to get this up and running using Windows 8.
by DavidS » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:52 pm
Use a FAT32 formatted USB stick for transfering files. The small FAT32 partition on the SD Card is for the RPi specific Blob, boot loader, RISC OS ROM(s) and any other kernels you may be using.

As to getting more space on your RISC OS FileCore FS, you can use a USB stick to boot from (or a USB Hard Drive if you have that), I have confirmed that this is dooable with up to 512GB, and possibly bigger. Just format it FileCore and do your configure filesystem scsi, etc as you would on any other RISC OS computer. Once you have done this and have moved all of your files off of the SD-Card you can take the SD Card over to a Linux or Windows system back up everything on the boot partition (the small FAT32 partition) and repartition the SD card to have a single FAT32Partition taking up the whole card, format that FAT32, and copy the contents from the old boot partition into that.

This is how I have my system configured.

Once done the SD card will mount as a FAT32 drive under RISC OS and you can use it to transfer files. Also as long as you remember to unmount the SD Card, it is safe to remove it from a running RISC OS system once the boot filesystem is no longer on it (the ROM is in RAM at that point).
ARM Assembly Language: For those that want: Simple, Powerful, Easy to learn, and Easy to debug.
by oo33oo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:33 pm
I'm not sure if I have connected the lead correctly, when I turn the power on I get a no signal from the TV, I have bought the Raspberry Pi kit from Maplins, would it be possible for someone to post an image of what leads should go where, had it up and running this morning, but nothing at the moment.
by oo33oo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:02 pm
Now worked and solved the above problem.
by oo33oo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:07 pm
Another question If I may, whanen running RISC OS on your Raspberry Pi can you get it to recognise a CD or DVD drive, as I have a large collection of Applications on both.
by DavidS » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:28 pm
Yes it will recognize a USB CD or DVD Drive.

Any 26-bit addressing only programs will not run on the RPi as the RPi is a 32-bit only ARMv6, though most programs that run on the Iyonix should run on the RPi. And of course any BBC BASIC program will work. If you need to run older programs that are not compatable with the RPi you will probably want to use !A310, or AEmulator.
ARM Assembly Language: For those that want: Simple, Powerful, Easy to learn, and Easy to debug.
by neilf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:07 am
If you need to run older programs that are not compatable with the RPi you will probably want to use !A310,

What's !A310?
by Joe Schmoe » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:43 am
What's !A310?

When I want to know what something is, I usually don't bother asking someone what it is, I just Google It!. Here, I think that the IA310 is:

Code: Select all
The Ia310 Universal Carholder dash mount is an innovative product that allows you to switch out several different devices that need to be placed on your dashboard from time to time.
amazon.com/Iwave-Ia310-Universal-Carholder-Mount/d...   More from amazon.com
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by Burngate » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:16 pm
Doesn't that just tell you how useful Google is...

IA310 ≠ !A310 ≠ A310
Just 'cos Google can't handle ! doesn't mean it ain't important!

I couldn't find !A310, but it appears to be a wrapper that allows 26-bit software to run on a 32-bit-only machine such as the Pi

Not an aeroplane or a dashboard tray
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by DavidS » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:44 pm
!A310Emu is an Archimedes emulator for RISC OS. I appologize for the typo above (left of the Emu part).

See:
http://home-1.worldonline.nl/~jandboer/
by oo33oo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:31 am
I'm now using a 32GB memory stick as a hard drive without any issues, and dismounting as suggested above, have transfered some pdf files to the memory stick and when viewing in RISC OS on the Pi, it has some strange effect, the effect is like when scanning documents using OCR the text looks like it's raised showing a 3D effect, why would this be happening?
by DavidS » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:50 pm
I have no clue. I view PDFs under RISC OS all of the time with out that kind of thing happening. Could it be some effect encoded in the particular PDFs you are viewing, that !PDF is just getting incorrect?
by Raeddie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:10 pm
Some PDFs seems to have the text of the documents twice, as Text and as a bitmap, which seems to confuse !PDF. Haven't encountered that problem for a while, so I assumed it was fixed. Maybe I was just lucky with my selection to PDFs to view. ;)

What you can do is to select "Display->No text" in the menu of the !PDF application. You will only see the bitmap version which isn't as nicely rendered as plain text, but it will be way more readable.
by oo33oo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 pm
When using !PDF application and selecting Display> No Text, solved now able to read the document een with small print.

Thank you.