Some Pi help

7 posts
by A.Nihilist » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:37 am
Hi, I'm a beginner in using Pi. In fact, I got it barely 3 days ago. I'm having some problems starting it up, and I figure that it may have to do with the improvised hardware I am using, but I don't know for sure.

1) Instead of using a HDMI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI cable, I am using a HDMI to VGA cable. Is this an issue?
2) Whenever I try to boot, the Pi only shows one red status light, nothing else. Is this normal?
3) No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get it started. I am using a Mac to flash the boot IMG, so is this an issue? I have Bootcamp and Windows 8 installed, but I am busy doing work as of writing and cannot try that out.

These are, for now, my problems, although I think I may have some more later.

P.S. I have all the IMGs and stuff ready, and am currently using MinePeon and Raspbian (both the latest versions). I still cannot get either to work...
by Oakham » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:46 am
1) Instead of using a HDMI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI cable, I am using a HDMI to VGA cable. Is this an issue?

You will need a adaptor / converter: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... y_adapters

3) No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get it started. I am using a Mac to flash the boot IMG, so is this an issue? I have Bootcamp and Windows 8 installed, but I am busy doing work as of writing and cannot try that out.

I have found using a USB Card Reader and using Command Line with a quality SD Cards usually works: http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup#Using_Mac_OSX
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !
by rpdom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:08 am
As Oakham said, you will need a HDMI->VGA adapter, not just a cable. Preferably one with an external power supply (although I've got away with using a cheap one from ebay and no PSU).

Using dd on a Mac usually works. Make sure the card isn't mounted first (diskutil? I don't know Mac stuff, but I've seen something like that mentioned). As you don't even seem to get the green ACT light flashing at all I think the writing of the image may not have worked. Could you post the full dd command line you used, please?
by A.Nihilist » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14 am
Okay, it appeared that there was nothing wrong with my flashing.
1) I understand that HDMI > VGA cables don't work. I read the troubleshooting section of the forums not long after I finished writing this tread :P .
2) It was some hardware fault with the Pi. Nothing wrong with my setup. I sent it for a quick exchange and my new Pi works fine.

Thanks for the help. Now I'm going to do some serious modding with this. I'm thinking of making a portable micro-computer...

P.S. I noted that there are different SD models out there in the market. Some claim to be able to copy files at high speeds. Will this help make my Pi marginally faster? In terms of copy-pasting stuff/installation, I mean.
by rpdom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 am
A.Nihilist wrote:I noted that there are different SD models out there in the market. Some claim to be able to copy files at high speeds. Will this help make my Pi marginally faster? In terms of copy-pasting stuff/installation, I mean.

It probably won't make much, if any, difference. The SD card interface on the Pi isn't very fast. I can't remember what the max speed of it is, but it is a less than the class 10 cards can handle.

The faster cards, like class 10, are optimised for continuous writing of large media files, like big photos or videos, in big chunks at a time. They don't work well with lots of small, random, reads and writes as you tend to get on a Linux system. The slower class cards are actually better at that. I mostly use class 4 cards and find them responsive enough. Older cards than that are a bit too slow, but still just about usable.
by A.Nihilist » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:13 am
Okay, another question. I've got an old Chinese WiFi adaptor that has a Ralink Chipset. From what I am getting, and from what I have read online, Ralink has been quite an issue that many people have.

Now, I am wondering what WiFi USB adaptor I can buy, since I am too much too fed-up with Ralink and the trouble I have to go through to get it to work (I got it to work once, but after a reboot, it stopped and I cannot get it to work again).

Any nano USB adaptors I can get? I am trying to make a sort of micro-computer, so I don't want one of those thick, big adaptors everybody seems to be selling. Also, I want it to work consistently, with minimal settings if possible (I can't possibly take an hour to setup the WiFi adaptor every time I boot, can I?).
by A.Nihilist » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:15 am
Okay, I got an affordable TP-Link TW-723 version 3.

It runs the Realtek 8179 chipset.

Are there drivers for it for Raspbian? Are they pre-installed or do I have to do something to get it working?