Boblight possible?

707 posts   Page 11 of 29   1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 29
by alpini » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:35 pm
Hi Guys,

Have the constant light possible now.
But i can't play any movies more via SMB.
The movie is loading but doesn't play,
and naturally my ambilight doesn't do anything.
The workingwheel on the right bottom does spin arround but cant get the movie playing

What could be the problem now?
Is it the new XBMC build maybe or is het not possible to us ambilight with SMB movies?
Thanks alot.
by crckmc » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:59 pm
I guess boblightd isn't running so it gets stuck connecting.
I noticed that boblightd isn't started by rc.local anymore but haven't found out why or a workaround for this.
You can start boblightd manually before starting a video by ssh with
Code: Select all
sudo boblightd -f
by nadnerb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:27 pm
Sorry guys, I think I re-ran boblight config tool to create the boblight.conf on my guide and used capitals by mistake. The guide is now updated however.

benpownall wrote:When sending the sudo boblight-constant command. My colours are wrong as shown below.

FF0000 shows as green when it should be red
00FF00 shows as red when it should be green
0000FF shows as blue

Have no idea why it's is doing this. Any ideas?

I think you might need to make some changes to boblight.conf. Which one did u base it on? There is an example LPD8806 one in boblight source.
But, I think you can edit your existing on and change the HEX values.
[color]
name      red
rgb         FF0000
gamma      1.0
adjust      1.0
blacklevel   0.0

[color]
name      green
rgb         00FF00
gamma      1.0
adjust      1.0
blacklevel   0.0

[color]
name      blue
rgb         0000FF
gamma      1.0
adjust      1.0
blacklevel   0.0

I haven't needed to try it myself, but you could try changing the red value to 00FF00 and blue to FF0000
by benpownall » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:00 pm
Nadnerb, you're right. Swap the green and red hex in my config and it works great. Boblight constant now working to the correct colors

Just doing an install of the new xmbc now.

Once i have it tested I will post up my config for the lpd8806 so others can see.

Thanks for the help. :P
by alpini » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am
Hi Guys,

It's working :-)
So happy, because I AM A NOOB :-) and i have got it work.
Thanks alot for the guide Nadnerb, fantastic work.
When you do it from zero and follow the guide, it works.
Boblight static backgroundlight by start-up Pi also works.
I even picked my own color via Colorpicker.

Thanks also you guys for the support you gave.

I have one question.
The guide is with 50 pieces ws2801 and i have 100 leds.
Is there a file for 100 leds and so i can do wget....... it via ssh easly?
Does it overwrite my current conf. for the 50 leds ws2801 or do i have to delete that file?

I know there is boblightconf. tool but don't know how to use and fill in the things.
What to do with the created file on my pc desktop?
I think i have to upload it to a site so i can download it via ssh on my pi.

Thank again, i'll wait for the answer before messing up the working ambilight :-)
I really don't know anything about linux and getting files online and putting them on the Pi. I just do it exacly as said in a guide. But i am a quick learner :-)

Thanks alot again.
by Demos » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:40 pm
Im getting an Error with nadnerb´s guide.
(CDeviceSPI::WriteBuffer)       ERROR: Pibob: /dev/spidev0.0 Connection timed out
(CDevice::Process)              ERROR: Pibob: setting up failed, retrying in 10 seconds

I followed the guide correctly and tried it now the second time but no idea how to handle this error :/
My SPI Device is listed in /dev/.
Last edited by Demos on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by zither911 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:01 am
Hi guys,

big thansk to nadnerb's guide, using 50 LED's and working 100%, only 1 question.
With fast scenes, what do you change in the config to the lights will change faster or is this a cpu issue?
by drmaster » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:30 am
Sorry for getting offtopic but it's related to finding info in this thread.

I thought phpBB had search by poster in advanced search but I can't find it. Can someone link nadnerb's guide or tell me how to search this thread for his posts? Would rather learn to fish than be given a fish here. ;)
by zither911 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:04 am
alpini wrote:Hi Guys,

I have one question.
Does it overwrite my current conf. for the 50 leds ws2801 or do i have to delete that file?

I know there is boblightconf. tool but don't know how to use and fill in the things.

Thank again, i'll wait for the answer before messing up the working ambilight :-)
I really don't know anything about linux and getting files online and putting them on the Pi. I just do it exacly as said in a guide. But i am a quick learner :-)

Thanks alot again.

Hi you can either use WinSCP to copy the file from Windows to your Pi, or from Linux use the scp command. Hope that helps you. Your upload would work it just takes longer :)
by zither911 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:05 am
drmaster wrote:Sorry for getting offtopic but it's related to finding info in this thread.

I thought phpBB had search by poster in advanced search but I can't find it. Can someone link nadnerb's guide or tell me how to search this thread for his posts? Would rather learn to fish than be given a fish here. ;)

Hi, i'm not a searcher of note but here is his link : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/688 ... index.html
by alpini » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:14 am
zither911 wrote:
alpini wrote:Hi Guys,

I have one question.

Thanks alot again.

Hi you can either use WinSCP to copy the file from Windows to your Pi, or from Linux use the scp command. Hope that helps you. Your upload would work it just takes longer :)

Thank zither911,
I will try it today.
Do i have to delete the current file in the Pi for 50 leds before putting/uploading the new conf. with 100 leds?
by zither911 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:53 am
@alpini WinSCP should just overrite it, not too sure in Linux, still learning aswell.
but i you get problems then yes delete old one first.
by benpownall » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:49 pm
Finally got round to getting the guts up and cutting my led strip? Spent some time double checking and soldering but the wait was worth it.

See below link to my first test vid.

You will see I still have to mount strips at back of tv but this vid shows the response time using the pi with 132 LEDs. Seems quite good. Please excuse the actual test video I am using but it does show that the boblight daemon is passing the tv data quite well. All I can say is a big thanks to all that have helped me get this far. From being a total newb to getting it working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6D8D6Ri ... ata_player

One feature suggestion ?

When using the adalight on an arduino . When you power up the system the LEDs flash a different colour and then go off. This indicates that the system is running and the lights are working. Would there be a way to do this by modifying the main startup script on the pi.

Ie currently I have a constant colour set when the system boots. In rc.local file.

Could I add extra commands in here to say show green then red and blue and then back to my main constant colour?
by nadnerb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:13 pm
Demos wrote:Im getting an Error with nadnerb´s guide.
(CDeviceSPI::WriteBuffer)       ERROR: Pibob: /dev/spidev0.0 Connection timed out
(CDevice::Process)              ERROR: Pibob: setting up failed, retrying in 10 seconds

I followed the guide correctly and tried it now the second time but no idea how to handle this error :/
My SPI Device is listed in /dev/.

Is this being run with sudo?
by nadnerb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:21 pm
benpownall wrote:Could I add extra commands in here to say show green then red and blue and then back to my main constant colour?

Yeah you could just put 3 commands in rc.local with a sleep in between.
I have pink when xbmc is loading then it switches to blue when xbmc has loaded and run autostart.py script(I think).

Also, I found a python script which fades in and out nicely when run via ssh, but when running from rc.local it wasn't smooth at all. Not sure why.
by bccornfo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm
Hi Guys,

I've been following this guide for a while, and finally got round to ordering and receiving my Raspberry Pi, and WS2081 bulbs. I've wired them up as per the diagram here: https://code.google.com/p/boblight/wiki ... spberry_Pi and followed the instructions here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/688 ... tware.html to get boblight setup.

Currently none of my LED's work when using the boblight-constant command, however if i move the cables on the end of the LED chain, some bulbs activate, in differing colours, and with enough wiggling all LED's can be activated, but not with the correct RGB color.

My power supply is a 5v 2a plug, that powers both the Raspberry Pi and the LED's.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on what i've done wrong? I'm thinking that maybe i just got a duff set of bulbs / or they where damaged in posting. Is there a sure fire way i can test them rather than having to fork out for another set?

Regards,

bccornfo
by nadnerb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:02 pm
Firstly, sounds like theres a loose connection somewhere.
Secondly, what wires have you plugged into the Pi?
I got erratic behaviour when I didn't have the extra ground connected to the pi, and also when the data and clock were the wrong way around.
by bccornfo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:52 pm
Hi nadnerb,

I've checked all connections and they seem to be solid. On the LED's I have +5v connected to my power supply, along with Ground. The Pi is also connected to this power supply. Then I have Clock and Data connected to the Pi as per http://boblight.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/diagram.png. I also have connected the Ground to the Pi, fifth pin on the left, too like you suggested. Is this correct?

I'm not really getting erratic behaviour, my lights just don't turn on. Unless the I touch the Clock and Data cables at the output end of the LED's.

By touch the Clock and Data cables I mean I literally touch them with my fingers.
by laurens0619 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:53 pm
Did anyone already tested the modified version of Speedy1985 (https://github.com/Speedy1985/boblightd-for-raspberry?)? The previous build didn't included the SPI mode but as the github url changed it looks like this is a new build. Haven't test it yet.

My leds are not shipped yet but I've executed some tests on my pi (by writing the led output to a file).
With 300 channels configured the player slows down so hopefully the special boblightd build will gain some performance. With 3 channels it seems running fine :)
by nadnerb » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:11 am
bccornfo wrote:Hi nadnerb,

I've checked all connections and they seem to be solid. On the LED's I have +5v connected to my power supply, along with Ground. The Pi is also connected to this power supply. Then I have Clock and Data connected to the Pi as per http://boblight.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/diagram.png. I also have connected the Ground to the Pi, fifth pin on the left, too like you suggested. Is this correct?

I'm not really getting erratic behaviour, my lights just don't turn on. Unless the I touch the Clock and Data cables at the output end of the LED's.

By touch the Clock and Data cables I mean I literally touch them with my fingers.

It's hard to tell if its right because each strand of LEDs have different wiring layouts. Have you tried swapping your data and clock? When you touch the output ends, do the LEDs come on as the correct static colour?
by groove » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:15 am
@crckmc i would like to have the diff to the xbmc sources.
have you already uploaded them somewhere?
maybe we can create a github fork.
by crckmc » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:07 pm
Hey groove,

I added the patches manually so created no diff. As the patches I used rely on an older omxplayer they are'nt fully compatible with the new one in xbmc. You can check out Stasik0's git https://github.com/Stasik0/omxplayer for a newer version of the needed files. If you want we can try to include the fixes in the newest xbmc source got some free time today and wanted to do this for weeks now :)
by groove » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:57 pm
i will definitely try to integrated Stasik0 changes. Because i bought 3 Meter led stripes for 100€ and now they are not working as i want them to ;)
So far i have set up the openelec build environment and successfully compiled it and the boblightd addon for it. First i tried raspbmc, but hat a lot of trouble with it.
Any help is very welcome.
by crckmc » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:27 pm
Here is my git repository with a fork of the newest xbmc:
https://github.com/crckmc/xbmc-boblight

It SHOULD work but I can't guarantee anything.
Have Fun and feel free to ask if you run into problems!
by Karamics » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:59 am
@ crckmc
Since i'm totally noob, do you have compiled one somewhere?
I tried to compile myself but couldn't manage to do it.