How to disable signal from HDMI port

6 posts
by raihan1780 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:31 pm
Hi All,
I just got my first Rasberry Pi. I want to stop sending any signal from HDMI port. So that my monitor switches.
I have seen if i pull off the HDMI cable from Rasberry Pi only then my monitor changes the source of input .

I will be very great full. If anybody can help me.

Thanks
Raihan
by FTrevorGowen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:11 pm
Whilst it is possible to "force" a Pi into "composite video mode" (output through the yellow, RCA connector) on "boot-up" I suspect that this is not what you want. I'm guessing that your monitor is set up to (defaulting to) some form of "auto-select input mode" based upon the presence of an HDMI signal on a (given) input. Does it have multiple HDMI inputs? Whilst my monitor can "auto-select" between its VGA or DVI(HDMI) inputs I can always re-select the one I want via its front panel controls, so, hopefully, if you can change the monitor's setup, your problem may "go away". If you post details of the monitor (a weblink may be useful) someone else may be able to advise further. If you cannot change the monitor's behaviour the only other thing I can suggest is an external HDMI switch like this: http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... tcher.html which, in my case, I use to switch between the outputs of three Pi's.
Trev.
Mainly running "Wheezy Raspbian" on five Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2 & a B+). Notes about them begin at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virginmedia.com/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by gkreidl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:21 pm
tvservice -o
and
tvservice -p
to enable it again.
Minimal Kiosk Browser
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer
by FTrevorGowen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:44 pm
gkreidl wrote:tvservice -o
and
tvservice -p
to enable it again.

Thanks for that - I've learned something new. It's a pity there's no man pages etc. and it's not found by "apropos" . Out of curiosity how/where did you find out about it (hopefully somewhere in the wiki or here I just haven't come across)?
Trev.
Mainly running "Wheezy Raspbian" on five Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2 & a B+). Notes about them begin at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virginmedia.com/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by RaTTuS » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:57 pm
on here a few times......
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by raihan1780 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:03 pm
Thanks to everyone for your comments.
Actually i want to switch using some program or script running in raspberry pi. i do not want to switch using remote control.My monitor has two hdmi ports as input and . it has priority switching. That means as written in manual "The HDMI switch features a primary and secondary HDMI input port, and automatically defaults to the signal from the primary input port. If the signal connected to the primary input port is lost, the device automatically switches to display the signal from the secondary HDMI input port"

I tried the "tvservice -o " it does not switch input source. Just make the screen black. Input switches only when the HDMI cable is unplugged.So i was thinking is there any option to completely shutdown the HDMI port in linux..