Pre-loaded Raspberry Pi OS cannot be read in Windows 7

11 posts
by rpio » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:33 pm
I've bought a pre-loaded Raspberry Pi OS on a 4 GB SD card from RS to save time. I have opened the bag and put the card into the SD card reader on my Windows 7 laptop which says the card needs to be formatted before use.

Is the card corrupted? Do I need to format and manually re-load the OS? - if so why did I need to bother paying RS to do this?

*****Other info*****
I have done nothing else to the card, just taken it directly from the packaging to the PC which has no problem reading from other SD cards.

The reason I am doing this is to change some default settings necessary for the VGA monitor I will use with the RPi

Thank you
by lucasmun09 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:34 am
rpio wrote:I've bought a pre-loaded Raspberry Pi OS on a 4 GB SD card from RS to save time. I have opened the bag and put the card into the SD card reader on my Windows 7 laptop which says the card needs to be formatted before use.

Is the card corrupted? Do I need to format and manually re-load the OS? - if so why did I need to bother paying RS to do this?

*****Other info*****
I have done nothing else to the card, just taken it directly from the packaging to the PC which has no problem reading from other SD cards.

The reason I am doing this is to change some default settings necessary for the VGA monitor I will use with the RPi

Thank you

Dont worry, there is nothing wrong with your SD card.... The reason because you can't see your files on your Window 7 is because the SD card is written with the boot image..... First of all, raspberry pi doesn't have a VGA port..... I assume that you are going to use a coverterbox to either for HDMI or RCA....

There are two ways you can change the settings necessary for you monitor.

First way is by going to the terminal and type
Code: Select all
sudo nano config.txt

go to hdmi_mode and put the number that you think that will work the best with your monitor
If: your setting in the hdmi_mode=2 AND I want VGA, then I will change number '2' to number '1'

Second way "if you are using ridiculusly expenive rca to VGA converter box, you can change the settings easily by going to terminal and type
Code: Select all
sudo raspi-config

Find 'Overscan' and do what ever you need to do......
by rpdom » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:04 am
It is possible that the card reader on your laptop only supports old SD cards, not SDHC.

Try using a newish USB card reader. The sort sold in "pound" shops work perfectly. Then you should be able to see the boot files and modify your config.txt file.
by gsh » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:55 am
If you have a NOOBS pre-installed SDCard then when you power it up wait for a few seconds and press 1,2,3,4 for the different HDMI modes this should get you as far as seeing the NOOBS screen. Then you can edit your config after installing your OS of choice...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by DeeJay » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:37 am
lucasmun09 wrote:The reason because you can't see your files on your Window 7 is because the SD card is written with the boot image.

For my benefit, could you please list the RPi boot images that do NOT have a windows-readable FAT-formatted partition on the bootable SD card?

Both wheezy-raspbian and NOOBS have FAT partitions that can be read from Windows - which are the OSes that do not?

Or to put it more directly - I think @lucasmun09 is wrong, and the suggestion from @rpdom that the card reader cannot cope with an SDHC card is more likely to be correct.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
by rpdom » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:38 am
DeeJay wrote:
lucasmun09 wrote:The reason because you can't see your files on your Window 7 is because the SD card is written with the boot image.

For my benefit, could you please list the RPi boot images that do NOT have a windows-readable FAT-formatted partition on the bootable SD card?

Both wheezy-raspbian and NOOBS have FAT partitions that can be read from Windows - which are the OSes that do not?

Well, as the Pi can only boot from a FAT partition, I would say there are exactly zero.

Or to put it more directly - I think @lucasmun09 is wrong, and the suggestion from @rpdom that the card reader cannot cope with an SDHC card is more likely to be correct.

Either that, or the card is faulty/incorrectly imaged when shipped.
by rpio » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:06 pm
Thank you everyone for your help, this is a great community.

rpdom was right, it was the card reader, I'm surprised because it's a relatively new Sony Vaio laptop and I think the card reader that actually worked was much older.

To answer lucanmun09: yes I am using a powered HDMI-to-VGA converter - I read a wiki article on raspberry pi display issues before I started and went for a powered version because I was worried about the 200 mA limit of D1, this seemed the best solution.

I have modified the config file to match the native resolution of my monitor and it all seems to be working very well.

Thank you for your help!
by Joe Schmoe » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:11 pm
rpdom was right, it was the card reader, I'm surprised because it's a relatively new Sony Vaio laptop and I think the card reader that actually worked was much older.

FWIW, many people have made the point that "built-in" SD readers on PCs often don't work with SD cards that people are trying to configure to work with the Pi. But no one has ever really explained much in the way of "Why?" this is so. And, curiously, it seems any old plug-in card reader usually works.

ISTM that there are two relevant questions:

1) What defect do these built-in readers have? (My guess is they don't understand SDXC - although why a 4Gb card [as mentioned by the OP] would care about SDXC compatibility is something I cannot fathom...)

2) Why do they have this defect? Do the manufacturers think they save any money by making them this way?
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by lucasmun09 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:38 pm
DeeJay wrote:

To be honest, I didn't think about that.... I was assuming he was using plain old SD card. :D
by Burngate » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:50 pm
Joe Schmoe wrote:FWIW, many people have made the point that "built-in" SD readers on PCs often don't work with SD cards that people are trying to configure to work with the Pi. But no one has ever really explained much in the way of "Why?" this is so. And, curiously, it seems any old plug-in card reader usually works.

ISTM that there are two relevant questions:

1) What defect do these built-in readers have? (My guess is they don't understand SDXC - although why a 4Gb card [as mentioned by the OP] would care about SDXC compatibility is something I cannot fathom...)

2) Why do they have this defect? Do the manufacturers think they save any money by making them this way?

I have a theory, based on nothing but prejudice.
The internal device uses non-USB drivers, which work some of the time with some cards, but don't have all the bells 'n whistles
An external USB card reader uses USB drivers, which do all the right things.
Whoever wrote the Windows non-USB drivers didn't know as much as the guy who wrote the USB ones
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by Joe Schmoe » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:08 pm
Whoever wrote the Windows non-USB drivers didn't know as much as the guy who wrote the USB ones

Works for me...
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -