problems installing a custom noobs image.

4 posts
by mrmandrill » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:21 pm
Hi I'm trying to create a custom raspbian image for a set of pis going to students. (Custom home and vnc pre configured)

I'd like to use noobs on their sd cards so that in the event they muck up they can refresh fairly quickly.

I've installed and customised raspbian, used dd to create an image. Then xz -9 -e to compress.

just gotten to this stage and am now ready to deploy. Used new sd card with noobs 1.2. Removed standard images added mine. Rebooted and the pi will install img but at the end it says "logical boot record (lba) not found).

Did I make the image wrong? Please help asap, I'm hoping to give them to students before summer hols.
by Davespice » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:40 am
Hi there!
Okay so I am not 100% clear on what steps you actually did but here is how I would do it.

• Mark one SD card as the source card
  • Ensure that all other SD cards that will become copies are the same size or larger than the source card
  • Use a Raw Image to create the source SD card (it may help with saving space if you do this on a 2GB card)
  • Customize the source SD card as desired
  • sudo halt, wait for act light to stop blinking
  • Put the Source SD card into a Linux or Windows PC
  • Use dd or Win32DiskImager to read from the source SD card to an image file
  • sudo dd bs=1M if=/dev/sdcardX of=./source-image.img (change /dev/sdcardX to match your system)
  • Now make a new SD card image with Noobs on it and use source-image.img (based on a raw image) as part of the noobs installer
Foundation
Foundation
by DeeJay » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:38 am
There is some discussion of the mechanism for creating custom images for NOOBS on the developers' github site
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
by MyKroFt » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:01 am
I dont understand:

Now make a new SD card image with Noobs on it and use source-image.img (based on a raw image) as part of the noobs installer

so what you are saying is don't compress it to a .xz file, or does it have to be named source-image.img - we are trying to make a custom striped down 2G image, make a image of the 2G card with both partitions, but it ends up at the very end after writing the image complaing about the LBR not found - I am not sure what to do?

Any suggestions?

Myk