music suggestiongs for a raspberry pi montage

8 posts
by abishur » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:37 pm
I'm having a bit of fun and wanted to make a montage of different projects that have been done with the pi, however I have little to no creativity when it comes to music selection. Can anyone thing of some fun songs that would work in the background for such a thing?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a good site that offers public domain music?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
by Ravenous » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:42 pm
Strawberry fields forever?
by ukscone » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:18 pm
use some chiptunes, http://modarchive.org -- and you can use zxtune to play them on a raspi too
by johnbeetem » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:53 pm
Well, the only song I can think of off-hand that features "raspberries" is a WWII-era comic song recorded by Spike Jones, but mentioning the title will trigger Godwin's Law. Also, I don't think it's at all appropriate for your application.

So, I'll suggest the song that's most associated with computers: "Daisy Bell -- the bicycle song". Get a nice arrangement -- the piano accompaniment is very rich.

Edit: I bet Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag" would work well too.
by cyrano » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:35 pm
by anvil201 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:06 pm
Do you really need public domain music or will CC-licensed music do?
If yes, I suggest you look at ccmixter.org.
At http://dig.ccmixter.org/music_for_film_and_video you can search for instrumental CC-licensed songs.
You can also specify if you need music for commercial use (which will exclude non-commercial CC-licenses).

Hope this is useful. Good luck with the video.
by abishur » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:30 pm
anvil201 wrote:Do you really need public domain music or will CC-licensed music do?

I haven't messed with this sort of stuff before so I fear my terminology may be wrong. All I need is music that I can have on a video that won't get it pulled or flag on video sharing sites such as youtube.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
by anvil201 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:50 pm
A short summary of Creative Commons licenses and their uses for music in video:

CC-BY: can be used in video, as long as you attribute the original author
CC-SA: can be used in video, as long as you license the video under the same license
CC-NC: can be used in video, as long as it is only for non-commercial purposes (which can be tricky, as your video could be considered a promotional video for RPi by some; I guess CC-NC is also incompatible if you receive money from youtube ads)
CC-ND: can not be used in video, or indeed any other derivative work
They usually come in combinations (like CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-NC, CC-BY-NC-SA, etc.), with the expected meanings.

You can find (and probably have found) all this info on wikipedia too, but I thought I'd post it here as well.

As another music suggestion: you can never go wrong with a Kevin MacLeod piece; his music is used all over youtube for background music (and is CC-BY).