startx in pidora

5 posts
by pnelsonsr » Thu May 30, 2013 3:38 pm
I just grabbed pidora and put it on an SD. The boot went ok (there was one problem but it goes away to fast...) and I went through the firstboot process. I selected text boot and default video. Then the system rebooted 2 times (resizing the rootfs). So I was left at the command prompt and I did a yum update which didn't have any updates (strange...). Then I ran startx and there was the flurry of output then the screen went black, the mouse pointer showed up, and then I got an error dialog box with the message:

Failed to load session gnome

With a button labeled "Logout". After pressing this button I'm back at the prompt. Here is the listing from the failed startx session:

gnome-session[998]: Warning: Unable to find required compnent 'gnome-shell'
gnome-session[999]: Warning: Unable to find required compnent 'gnome-panel'

Anyone else see this? Or have an idea of how I can fix it?
by herbthom » Thu May 30, 2013 7:06 pm
Code: Select all
su -
echo PREFERRED=startxfce4 > /etc/sysconfig/desktop

This is also a prerequisite for using xrdp.
by pnelsonsr » Thu May 30, 2013 8:16 pm
Well got xfce working by:
yum install switchdesk switchdesk-gui
switchdesk xfce

then I ran startx and it worked.

I did look for something in /etc/sysconfig/desktop but the file did not exist, even after my switchdesk success.
by agreene » Fri May 31, 2013 3:10 pm
pnelsonsr wrote:Well got xfce working by:
yum install switchdesk switchdesk-gui
switchdesk xfce

then I ran startx and it worked.

I did look for something in /etc/sysconfig/desktop but the file did not exist, even after my switchdesk success.

Hmmm thats interesting I think we might consider adding this to future releases. Thanks for the post
by Thudweiser » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:17 am
I ran into the same issue with the tiger vncserver. I ended up cheating and just commenting out the entire ~/.vnc/xstartup script and appending "/usr/bin/xfce4-session &" to the end. Probably not the best solution. After reading this, I went back and created the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file with "PREFERRED=/usr/bin/startxfce4", and it allowed the vncserver to start as well. Thanks for posting that.