windows 3.1 gaming?

8 posts
by bugsy_malone 666 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:06 pm
ok so somewhere on here someone built the ultimate booter for arcade games and the like providing you got the roms, also included was windows 3.1(clearly just for fun) but that got me wondering.
Dos and win 3.1 which were around in the early 90s, there were a fair few fun games about like 'day of the tenticle', 'Indian Jones' and 'flight of the amazon queen', presumably unlike win 95 on an RPi, I presume win3.1 would run ok, would it do games? I think flight of the amazon queen is also available on ScummVM which I think you can also run on Pi?

I guess the idea is less about using 'windows' but more about running old games from when games were all about playing and not graphics :)
by SimonSmall » Wed May 08, 2013 7:43 pm
Windows uses an x86 processor; the Pi is an ARM processor. Anything that can run Windows games needs to emulate Windows and the processor, so in general it runs too slow to be useful

It does seem that Windows 3.1 and DOS has been emulated here... http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5090. You can also search the forums for Dosbox. There is also a utility called rpix86 here... http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=32934
by bugsy_malone 666 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:24 pm
Well I assumed that Somehow emulating something from 1992 when we were at 20-60mhz computing with like 4-8mb of memory might be alot easier than something from the Windows 95-98 era pf computing when processor speeds went up to 150-200mhz with 32-64mb of mem and graphics cards too.

Obviously I dont quite understand all the processes, but I was under the impression that when win 95 came along it was alot more hardware heavy than anything before.

I liked the good old days of computing, especially my Amiga A500 (which I still have in a box somewhere!) and even when I first got a 386 which I played day of the tentacle on :)
by mahjongg » Wed May 08, 2013 9:32 pm
I heard that MESS has been ported to the PI (or was it MAME?).
In principle MESS also emulated DOS machines, as well of most of all the other "old systems" you love. http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=23113
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by bugsy_malone 666 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:26 pm
Ah the MESS thing might be what I had installed somewhere, nice clean menu system with a multitude of emulators.

I just wondered how well the PI might handle a game inside an emulation like that. I recall the thing also had ScummVM and I know some of the classic games are now freeware one that :)
by abishur » Thu May 09, 2013 12:32 pm
Ah that was a fun project to get win 3.1 up and going. A couple notes:

1) Windows 3.1 is technically under copyright so distributing an image that just has it on it is quite illegal (so such an image should not exist)

2) I did all that using the old soft float debian that initially came with the pi, I haven't tried it out on the new hard float Rasbian so running windows 3.1 should be a little faster, but dosbox did have a hard time getting the speed down just right so that a program as simple as Chip's Challenge would work correctly, you might find larger programs are, sadly, unworkable. If only there was a command-line windows emulator that made use of all the needed window's dlls without the overhead that comes with it. :-(
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by welshy » Thu May 09, 2013 1:42 pm
bugsy_malone 666
I don’t think you had MESS installed perhaps Carles Oriol’s Raspbian Chameleon remix or petrockblog’s Retro Pie (They both have SCUMMVM cores), they differ from AdvanceMESS in that they are “Multi Emulator” systems (They load different Emulators via a Control Program). Although, AdvMESS is indeed excellent for Emulating a variety of older systems (Literally Hundreds of old Consoles and Computers). During experimentation while writing the “Guide” I did have a 484 system running although only with a BIOS and NO Operating System as such. I regularly use MESS to Emulate Apple II, BBC Model “B”, C64, Colecovision and Vectrex (Although it’s SLOW) on the RPi as, so far, they have no peer (Others have been replaced with better alternatives for NES, Atari 800 etc). Your best bet for PC Emulation is probably Pate’s (Patrick Aalto) rpix86, so far its MS-DOS only I believe, but I have been impressed with the ease of use and results thus far (Doom and Wolfenstein3D run very nicely!). ScummVM obviously only runs MS-DOS games that used LucasArts “SCUMM” engine but I have run a few of the SCUMM titles on rpix86 (Including - Day of the Tentacle, Indian Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Flight of the Amazon Queen and The Secret of Monkey Island) with little or no issue

One Last Thing
If you are into "Retro Gaming" try this Thread - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=31966
Along with the kind assistance of the Moderators I try to keep it updated with anything new in Emulation that is happening on the Forum
by obcd » Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 pm
It's a little offtopic, but scummvm has a lot more engines than just "SCUMM".
It started with SCUMM and got it's name from there.
If you are looking for point and click adventure games, it's the way to go.