Raspberry Hynix Won't Start.

12 posts
by jermainefalken » Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 am
I recently bought a Raspberry Pi and downloaded the image from this site, then using dd tried to rawrite it to the SD card. I plug it in and.... nothing. The red LED lights and stays lit and only one flash of the green one. No NTSC video at all.

I check the troubleshooting section. I found out about the Hynix chip and checked my board. Yep, that bum Hynix chip. I tried two separate SDHC cards, one 8G SanDisk card and a Duracell 4G SDHC card. Both have a circle-4 on them. (speed designation?)

Judging by the list of SD cards any card you try is a real gamble. I sure hope I left enough clues in this posting!
by jamesh » Thu May 02, 2013 2:25 am
'bum' Hynix chip? There's nothing wrong with the chip at all. You just need to ensure the firmware you have supports it. Different RAM chips require different timings, that's all.

Also, the vast majority of SD cards will just work - there shoudl be no compatibility problems at all.

Not sure what you mean by NTSC video - the device supports composite or HDMI. Which are you using?

So to the actual problem. Which distro are you using? Hard or softfloat? If using soft, you need to update the start.elf and bootcode.bin in the boot partition to those from a HF distro (I think the SF build is rather out of date - I'd suggest HF every time).

If you are using HF then it's likely that the SD hasn't been programmed correctly. If you can, put the card in to a WIndows PC and see if the file manager can see the boot partition. If not, then the SD imaging process (w32DIskimager) went wrong.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by jermainefalken » Thu May 02, 2013 2:43 am
I downloaded the Raspbian distro from this site a few days ago so I have no clue about compatibility with either Raspberry Samsung or Hynix. It sure don't work with my Hynix card. What would be nice is a diagnostic image that tells if it's a hard or soft Samsung or a hard or soft Hynix.

When I put the images on the SD cards, I used a desktop's Linux and the dd feature.
by jamesh » Thu May 02, 2013 4:46 am
jermainefalken wrote:I downloaded the Raspbian distro from this site a few days ago so I have no clue about compatibility with either Raspberry Samsung or Hynix. It sure don't work with my Hynix card. What would be nice is a diagnostic image that tells if it's a hard or soft Samsung or a hard or soft Hynix.

When I put the images on the SD cards, I used a desktop's Linux and the dd feature.

Which image did you download? There are two on the download page, one saying Hard float, one saying softfloat. You should be using the Hard float one as that is the most up to date and has the correct settings for the Hynix and SS RAM. Note the hard float status is independent of the RAM type, it's down to how the operating system passes floating point numbers around, not the manufacturer of the RAM,
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
by rpdom » Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 am
The composite video output supports both PAL and NTSC. (also two other variants of these)

To change between them edit the config.txt file and set sdtv_mode=0 for NTSC or sdtv_mode=2 for PAL.
by Burngate » Thu May 02, 2013 9:32 am
jermainefalken wrote:I downloaded the Raspbian distro from this site a few days ago...

Put the card back in your desktop, and see what's on it.
You should see a small (50MB -ish) FAT partition, with a dozen files in it
There should be at least bootcode.bin, start.elf, and kernel.img.
What dates are those?
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by jermainefalken » Thu May 02, 2013 11:16 pm
The date on the files is October 2012. In the mean time, I'll try to start it on Arch Linux hard float.
by DirkS » Fri May 03, 2013 12:02 am
The date on the files is October 2012.

Can't be the softfloat (that image is older), but it's also not the latest hardfloat (which should be dated 9/2/13, some files are dated 8/2/13)

Gr.
Dirk.
by jermainefalken » Fri May 03, 2013 12:24 am
I rawrote the Arch Linux onto one of the SD cards and tested it and it booted perfectly. It even recognized after boot the PS/2 to USB cord for keyboards. I bought that cord to save a USB slot to later use wifi for a project.

Now, for the fun part. Is soft/hard float in the kernel? If so, a good experiment would be to put the Arch Linux kernel onto a Raspbian SD card, like how on a PC you can use any (good) kernel with any distro so long as both work for the architecture. At least I have a good Raspberry Pi card.
by jamesh » Fri May 03, 2013 2:01 am
jermainefalken wrote:I rawrote the Arch Linux onto one of the SD cards and tested it and it booted perfectly. It even recognized after boot the PS/2 to USB cord for keyboards. I bought that cord to save a USB slot to later use wifi for a project.

Now, for the fun part. Is soft/hard float in the kernel? If so, a good experiment would be to put the Arch Linux kernel onto a Raspbian SD card, like how on a PC you can use any (good) kernel with any distro so long as both work for the architecture. At least I have a good Raspberry Pi card.

See here for some soft/hard information

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianFAQ#Wha ... _ABI.22.3F
by jermainefalken » Fri May 03, 2013 3:14 am
I found that the date on the working Arch kernel has the date of Feb 11 2013. I also found a nice tutorial on setting up Arch Linux the rest of the way to have a full desktop. I tried the Arch kernel with Raspbian. No dice. Anyone know which wifi dongle chipsets that work on a Raspberry Hynix?
by jamesh » Fri May 03, 2013 4:35 am
You should really be using the latest HF distro from the download page - that has a lot of built in wireless support. Arch is not that easy to set up in comparison.