SD Card is working fine in Pi but in nothing else!

30 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by sat481 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:45 pm
This is a strange one, my SD card is working fine in the Raspberry Pi but I want to re-install the default image and start again.... the problem is that nothing else can detect the SD Card. I have tried 2 x windows 7 computers, an Unbuntu computer and even my DSLR camera. I have looked through the forums and can see some similar problems but they also tend to include the Raspberry Pi not detecting the card also.

It is a 32 GB SanDisk Class 4 SDHC card. Any one got any ideas how I can get it detectable again?

Many thanks

Sat
by Jim JKla » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:55 pm
Lock switch. ;)

The RPi ignores this it has no detection of this but if it's locked other equipment can't write to it. I doubt this would stop it detecting.

I have found the best card readers are the simplest Poundland sourced USB2.0 SD card readers.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by drgeoff » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:08 pm
Use fdisk on the RPi to erase the current partitions and make a new FAT32 one? A one-way street though. :)
by sat481 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:54 am
Hi guys,
Thanks for the advice. The lock switch was one of the first things that I checked and I have even tried it in all positions. Would that result in it not be detectable though, or just not writable?
I formatted the deleted the Fat32 partition and recreated it and still the only thing that can see the card is the Pi.
I could understand if nothing could see the card, I would then begrudgingly admit it was dead and bin it, but with it still working in the Pi I feel that it must be OK. Again many thanks and I will keep trying.

Sat
by joan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:31 am
Window's can only understand the small 60MB FAT partition on the Pi's SD card. The much larger Linux partition is not seen by Window's.

Some people report that putting the card in a SD card camera and then doing a reformat makes the whole card visible to Window's again.
by Jim JKla » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 am
Yes the lock switch is a write protect issue and I have allways been given that it worked like the write protect on a floppy disk (not a lot of use if you are too young or fresh to computing to remember floppy disks :D ).

The following is an extract fro a section of the wiki it may not apply but if it does not it may help others visiting the thread.

Having completed an install of an image on your SD card of choice at any point you can insert the card in any reader now if you view the card from Linux you can see the Raspberry partition but from Windows or a Mac you can only see 12 files for Wheezy installs.

A lot of noob users are concerned upon loading their image file to a larger card say 32Gig then looking at the image with windows only seeing a 58 meg partition do not worry there is a larger second part that is just not visible from Windows and once installed into a RaspberryPi this will come into force and even looking at the SD card with Linux it will look like it is not using all of the card.

Upon starting Wheezy with a Composite (RCA) or HDMI screen the script raspi-config will run automaticaly

If you choose there is the option of doing a Blind Login using Putty or another ssh login information here RPi_A_Method_for_ssh_blind_login if you choose this option you have to run raspi-config manually.

raspi-config also has the EXPAND-ROOTFS option which sets up the SD to Expand the root file system to make maximum use of the available space on the SD card next time it's booted and that reboot will take a couple of minutes longer.

It could be the problem is not your RPi or your SD card but the other computers. Highly unlikly given the number and variations you have tried.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

by obcd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 am
In order to change the sd card back to one large fat32 partition, you wil need a tool that can manipulate partitions. If you format a partition, it's size and type won't change.

Windows has the partition manager tool for that.

You need to be very carefull with those tools. If you choose the wrong drive letter you can destroy your windows partition on your primary harddisk resulting in your computer becoming unbootable.

Another thing you can do is backing up a sd card that was never used for the Pi and imaging that backup to the Pi sd card. As it will copy over the master boot record and the partition table, it will alter the partitions on the Pi sd card so that they show up equal as the card used for the backup. A problem you can encounter is that not all sd cards are equal in size, so the partition of one brand of card might not fit on another brand of the same size.

You can only do this if your card is recognised in your pc, which doesn't seem the case anymore the way you describe it.

I had a mechanical damaged sd card that showed the same behavour as yours. (A little part of the card plastic in the front broke off) After that, it wasn't recognised anymore in my netbook and in my pc with an external cardreader. I finally took another cardreader and got access to the card again. All contacts were still there and the internal of the card didn't seem damaged. Maybe one of them wasn't making good contact in the netbook and the first cardreader, or some mechanical stress makes the difference between the card working or not working.
by dhid » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 am
I found the easiest way to remove the partitions from the card was to download GParted Live - a small Linux distro which allows you to boot straight to the Gnome Partition Editor.

Simply burn it to a CD or USB stick and boot your PC from that. The partition editor tool will allow you to remove all the partitions from the SD card. You should then be able to format and re-image the card from Windows.

Just a note of caution - be careful that you mount the correct device when removing partitions as otherwise you could mess up your hard drive!

You can download GParted Live from here > http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
by tarjalan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:03 am
You state that you have tried 3 computers but did these 3 computers have different card readers.

I have a card reader that doesn't like larger sdhc cards for some reason and had to buy another that would read a 32gb card.

Just an idea.
by drgeoff » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 am
tarjalan wrote:You state that you have tried 3 computers but did these 3 computers have different card readers.

I have a card reader that doesn't like larger sdhc cards for some reason and had to buy another that would read a 32gb card.

Just an idea.

Not a bad idea. We've all been assuming that the OP wrote the card himself and therefore his card reader must be OK. But maybe that is a false assumption.
by obcd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:35 am
Aren't most preconfigured cards 4Gig or 8Gig.
As it's a 32 Gig, he should have imaged it himself or have it done by someone else.
by Jim JKla » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:38 am
There's a wide range of pre-configured cards available from retail and E-bay sellers.

by obcd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:12 am
He even tried his camera.
I guess that's not with the sd card reader(s) he was using with the pc's.
by rpdom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:18 am
obcd wrote:He even tried his camera.
I guess that's not with the sd card reader(s) he was using with the pc's.

Does the camera support SDHC cards? Mine doesn't. It can only cope with SD cards up to 2GB.
by obcd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 am
He says it's a DSLR camera.
Those are high end with a high resolution and only recently started to use sd card technology.
Before they used compact flash cards as those were faster.
We will need to wait for the original poster to get the answers.
I am not saying sdhc compatibility of his devices can't be the problem. I am just saying it would suprise me.
by tarjalan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:15 pm
obcd

I can't resist replying.

You may be correct but you remind me of my wife.

You nail your colours to the mast but I'm more of a maybe kind of guy!!

I like my wife, and wouldn't change her, but the conviction amazes me.
by obcd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:39 pm
my apologies.
I often have to defend my findings up to an absurd level so I guess it becomes a habbit.
I am also always the one being confronted with Murphys law, so I know in my case the broken part is usually the most expensive or the one that can't be replaced.
And after several years of fault finding, you learn to try to eliminate as much as possible.
If the original poster is trying to manipulate his sdhc card with cardreaders and camera's that are not sdhc compatible, I am sure he will figure it out based upon your post, no matter how I feel about it.
I was just trying to keep the topic open, hoping to figure out what else could cause such behavour, but it ended up in people disagreeing me which placed me in a defensive position.
None of this is helpfull in answering the question. For that reason I stated we would only get the answers from the original poster.
Guess what, I am trying to prove I am right for the fact I am proving to be right. :)
Really off topic. Moderators won't like it.
by RediJedi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:53 pm
Don't know if you have fixed this or not but I was having the same problems after overclocking (SD card corruption) you say your ubuntu system can't mount it so you have linux insert it again do a

sudo fdisk -l

at the bottom you should see your card as dev/sdb or similar if you can then you can use dd to copy the card if there is something you need of it or write a new image to it.

worked for me.
by sat481 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:45 pm
Everyone.

Thank you all so much for your replies and many apologizes for not replying sooner but work has kept me busy. After having another bit of a play with the card this afternoon I think I have finally admitted defeat and the SD card is as good as dead. Just to confirm some things with the problem though and set the curious minds at rest with the answers to their questions:

1. I am aware that windows can only detect the small fat32 partition of the card, but it was not even detecting that. In fact my Linux machine (running Ubuntu) also could not detect it.

2. Two of the machines were laptops with built in card readers. I know that both can read SDHC cards as I have several of them and they can read the others with no problem. The third uses a USB card reader and I use that on the linux machine, also proved fine with SDHC's.

3. I did indeed build the image myself using my windows laptop and it worked fine. Only noticed the problem when I want to carry out a fresh install due to the amount of experimenting I have been doing with it (timelapse controller for my DSLR, Remote access webcam and proved the bloody dog does lay on the sofa when I go to work and even the great MAME machine.

4. My camera is a Canon DSLR and supports SDHC cards, in fact I have a 16GB one in it.

5. I have tried the old sudo fdisk -l on my linux machine and not a sausage :o(

I would just like to thank you all for the help and it shows what a wonderful world of helpful people the Pi has created :o) and if I did not answer anyone's query then sorry but please feel free to ask again.

Sat
by drgeoff » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:04 pm
You said right at the start that the card is working fine in the RPi. So what does
Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l

return on the RPi?

When you put the card (in reader) into a Windows machine does it sense that a drive has been plugged in? Does it assign a drive letter? I'm guessing 'no' but if 'yes' you could try the official formatter at https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/.
by sat481 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:56 am
drgeoff,

Thanks for the advise. when i put "sudo fdisk -l" from the RPi I get the expect response showing:

/dev/mmcblk0p1 (expected size) Fat32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 (expected size) linux

When plugged into anything but the Pi, the SD card is not even detected. I have also downloaded and tried the official formatter and it does not detected the card either. Was a good idea though and one I hadn't thought off :)

Take care

Sat
by MickH » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:50 am
Hi,
Did you ever get a solution to this? I have the same problem now. I have been using this card for months with openelec and all was well.
I wanted to do a backup using win32diskimager on my windows PC but the card is not recognized. I have a second Pi running Raspbian and that one is recognized on my windows PC.
I have tried a couple of different PC's and camera's and a Mac but the card is only recognized by the Pi.
It would be great if you found a solution,
Mick.
by sat481 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:25 pm
Hi Mick,

Sorry to hear that you also have the problem with the card no been recognized in anything but the Pi, but unfortunately I did not find a solution to the problem. I will just use it solely in the Pi and hope it does not fail any further on me.

Steve
by Lemme » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:33 am
Hi
Just to add the this...

I am having exactly the same problem. My card is a SanDisk Ultra Class 10, 8GB. In it is useless now, as it only works in the Pi, and I want to reinstall the OS.

I booted the Pi with another SD card, and attached the "broken" SD card with a USB reader. But the card were still not recognizable.

Regards
Flemming
by toxibunny » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:53 pm
Check that the SD card isn't physically bent - bowed outwards at the contact side. Compare it to other working cards...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...