Root File System

2 posts
by bernienealy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:01 am
The raspberry has been performing well until today, I recieve a warning "stating that the root file system has insufficient free space mounting tmpfs" while it was booting up. After I got this warning booting process stop the display went black,at that point I thought maybe it was going to go to the desk top but, it didn't. How should I fix this warning?
by obcd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:01 pm
What's the size of your sd card? Did you expand the rootfs partition to use all the remaining cardspace?
Either your root fs partition is full which could be caused by the logfiles or the partition became corrupt.
If the partition became corrupt, the easiest way to fix it is reimaging the sd card.
Another way to fix such issues is mounting the card partitions on another running linux system and running fsck on it (to fix corruption) or running gparted (to expand the partition if you haven't done that)
obvious, you could also look at the /var/log folder and zero some of the big logfiles there.
You can boot the Pi emergency kernel by grounding one of the gpio pins. Maybe that's an option to fix things on the Pi itself. (I have no idea what the possibilities of that kernel are.)