Made in China

10 posts
by plaster » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:47 am
Just received my new raspberry pi model B from RS order on the 18 march go it this morning its
"Made in China" whats going on. I though all of the Pi where make by SONY inthe UK :!:
by ghans » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:48 am
Nope , especially RS does indeed produce a lot in China.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by RaTTuS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:52 am
farnell make all theirs in the UK now,
RS use both China and UK [I think]
Egoman make all theirs in china
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by RaTTuS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:55 am
removing redundant stuff
Last edited by RaTTuS on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by edge1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 am
I just got my order from RS today, and found both of these "made in china" boards did not work.
- Does anyone know if there has perhaps been a faulty batch send out.?
by pluggy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:22 pm
Theres a lot to go wrong with the Pi, besides the board. If you have 2 that don't work I'd be looking at the other stuff you're using, in particular the power supply, the image and the SD card. Newer Pis with Hynix memory chips won't boot at all unless its the latest image. It would seem that RS are shipping preloaded SD cards that don't work with the Pi's they ship with them because they have an old image on them. Follow the instructions in the Download folder for burning a new image.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
by RaTTuS » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:06 am
edge1 wrote:I just got my order from RS today, and found both of these "made in china" boards did not work.
- Does anyone know if there has perhaps been a faulty batch send out.?

make sure that you have the latest downloaded version
or
sudo apt-get update && sudo-apt-get upgrade -y
on the image before you plug it into the new RPi.
by edge1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm
Thanks Pluggy. I'm sorted now.
I knew all my connected stuff was ok since it all worked on my older 'made in the uk' board. However what I wasnt expecting was that none of my sd cards (based on the december image) would boot in these new pis.

I needed to download a new (february) image, and that booted ok. - which seems to reflect the problems you highlighted with the pre-built cards (-Perhaps some new drivers are included in the new image and they are a mandatory requirement to support these newer boards?).

- So it looks like backward compatibility isn't going to be a feature of the Pi!

But at least the problem is overcome, although its a bit of a pain as it means I'll have to rebuild all my sdcard images for these new boards.

Perhaps this info may be helpful to other recipients of these new Pi cards.
by jamesh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:34 pm
Just copy bootcode.bin and start.elf from the new distro to the root of the old distro. They should be the only bits you need to handle the Hynix RAM.
by edge1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:09 pm
Thanks JamesH
Copying these files has got my older sd cards booting, and it looks like being a major time-saver for me.

-I should mention for completeness, that Remote Destop Connection and startx initially crashed the pi when i used them, but I guessed at copying the start_x.elf file as well, and that seems to do the trick so they are now working

Next I just need to check through the rest of the applications and make sure they are running ok. (Although I did wonder whether perhaps I should copy the start_cd.elf file as well, for good measure? - but i don't actually have a cd-drive on the system).
Cheers