HDMI CEC Problem - TV or Pi?

9 posts
by paulknewton » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 pm
This might be a slightly stupid question, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site so I'll go ahead anyway.

I have a few PIs. One is connected to a Samsung TV running Raspbmc and the remote works fine over HDMI CEC. Another is connected to another Samsung TV (different model) and the remote does not work.

Is this likely to be an issue with the HDMI CEC drivers/modules on the Pi-side (i.e. I am sure it will be fixed in future so I will remain optimistic) or is it likely to an issue with the TV (e.g. incorrect implementation of the HDMI CEC standard or something).

Yes, I know - it is almost impossible for anyone to know without coming round my house (Luxembourg) and analysing the problem in more detail. But I wondered if this was perhaps a common problem on the side of the TV manufacturers that others had been seeing as well?
by MattHawkinsUK » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:55 pm
Raspbmc worked fine with my Samsung TV until the v1.0 update. Now CEC doesn't work at all.

So it's hard to say in your case but plenty of people are having problems with CEC so it could be Raspbmc rather than your TV.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook and Twitter (@RPiSpy)
by drgeoff » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:51 pm
CEC is an optional, not mandatory, adjunct to HDMI. Are you sure the TV has it?
by nadnerb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:11 pm
Have you tried swapping the HDMI cable from the working TV to the not working TV?
Not all HDMI cables support CEC.

For the record, my 3-4 year old Samsung TV works with CEC on Raspbmc 1.0
by system7 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:58 am
ill chime in here.
for one, as said in the post before me, have you tried an hdmi cable proven to work on another set up with CEC?

and secondly, of all the stuff i own or use daily, my samsung products work like garbage. the 1 samsung tv i have works like crap, the samsung wifi blu ray player i have works like crap, it may as well not even have wifi, netflix works like im on stone age internet when its fiber optic. that blu ray player does a great job of digging every sharable file from both my office computers, but cant do anything online to save its life, even though the tv has and supports an ethernet over hdmi connection, plus the players wifi, sitting basically ontop of the router.
by tomtomclub » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:45 pm
for over a year no problems and now suddenly ,CEC problems,(After creating a new image )for 24 hours, I must get off the power of pi then work again tv samsung 8000
by BrendanF » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:28 am
I know this is an OLD thread but I have been tredging through some rough waters as of late myself. I use my Pi strictly for RaspBMC and I do own a Samsung TV. The HDMI-CEC works perfectly; but it has a strange problem. Originally it was just the tv and the Pi. Over the holidays I purchased an Onkyo home theater system to compliment my man cave. The TV has an ARC (Audio Return Channel) on HDMI 2 so I can just plug a v1.4 cable from there right into the Onkyo receiver and after some configuring on the receiver the TV should send sound down to it that way, but here is the problem; I decided I would connect the PI into one of the inputs on the receiver, since it has 4 inputs, but if I do and I have the PI unplugged (HDMI connected, microUSB plug disconnected) the ARC doesn't work, and the HDMI-CEC doesn't see the receiver, BUT if I power up the PI, all is well again. Now some people might just say leave it plugged in, but if I do that, whenever there is a power blip, the PI will cause everything to turn on, and the last thing I want is my nice plasma to get screen burn in. So there is definatly something about the PI when powered off that screws with the CEC. I have to leave the HDMI disconnected as well now when not in use. I was just hoping to add a reset/power button to the PI to reboot it when I wanted to watch something but now it forces me to get off my ass and start looking for the HDMI cable after it slips and falls behind the cabinet..
- Try not to argue with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
by BrendanF » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:43 am
Well I see if I actually took a few more seconds I would have found a 4 page thread about my issue and the fix... I wish there was a smilie for doing a face palm.

:oops:
- Try not to argue with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
by Oysterville » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:15 am
BrendanF wrote:Well I see if I actually took a few more seconds I would have found a 4 page thread about my issue and the fix... I wish there was a smilie for doing a face palm.

:oops:

If you could provide the link to the thread here, maybe someone else might find it helpful.
Google is a helluva drug.