Pi DJ Mixer

11 posts
by AlaskaSkier » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:51 am
hi all!

new to the pi, i have a revision b and have messed around with debian a little bit and wanted to create a moble dj station, iv seen MIXXX and love it! any alternatives to that program that would run on Raspbian or the pi at all?
by Cloudcentric » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:49 am
If you have installed Raspbiam "wheezy" then MIXXX is in the reposiotry, from command line

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get install mixxx
I know everything about nothing"
by AlaskaSkier » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 am
thanks, i heard issues about processing power with mixxx though
by Cloudcentric » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:42 am
by AlaskaSkier » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:39 am
thanks, I looked at terminator x and decided i should try MIXXX first, ill be doing this on a fresh Debian install on the revision b raspberry, I heard that i might need some other things like audio drivers and the such. any idea what i would need to do other than run the apt-get?
by Cloudcentric » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:25 am
If you mean Raspbian "wheezy" http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

The have a read here, one of many http://debianarmpi.blogspot.co.uk
by AutoStatic » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:32 am
AlaskaSkier wrote:thanks, I looked at terminator x and decided i should try MIXXX first, ill be doing this on a fresh Debian install on the revision b raspberry, I heard that i might need some other things like audio drivers and the such. any idea what i would need to do other than run the apt-get?
You don't need audio drivers as Mixxx can use ALSA directly. I highly doubt if Mixxx will run in a stable manner on the RPi though, it's a rather CPU intensive application.
RPi and real-time, low-latency audio: http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/raspberrypi
RPi audio repository: http://rpi.autostatic.com/
by AlaskaSkier » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:49 pm
@ AutoStatic
that's what i was thinking too, here's an idea though, have you ever seen that pi supercomputer that some guy built? might be neat to link two together and get 2Ghz with just over 1G of ram, that is almost as good as some production laptops today so that might be worth trying, any idea how to do it, don't have a second raspberry on me at the moment but it seemed like a fun thing to try
by Spid » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:11 pm
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !
by AlaskaSkier » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:47 am
thanks spid, that's the one i was referring to
by jukingeo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:17 pm
AutoStatic wrote:You don't need audio drivers as Mixxx can use ALSA directly. I highly doubt if Mixxx will run in a stable manner on the RPi though, it's a rather CPU intensive application.

I attempted to run Mixxx today and it is completely unusable. I am not running overclocked right now, but given that the audio barely played no matter what setting I set Mixxx too, I don't think it will help. Mixxx loads up and you can operate the controls, but the songs take a long time to load into the program and what comes out of the speakers is nothing but distortion.

I am wondering if there might be a less cpu intensive program that would do a similar job as Mixxx would. I have MIxxx on my main computer system and what I like about it is that most of the controls are keyboard mapped. Also it responds to MIDI control, so it is very flexible in that aspect. If there is a program that does work on the Raspi, I would need full keyboard control in the very least.

Any suggestions as to what DOES work with the Raspi?

Thanx,
Geo