Infrared webcam

10 posts
by alikian » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 pm
Hi Everyone,

I am working on BabyMonitory and looking for an Infra-red webcam.
So far I damaged two webcams to remove Infra-red filter with no lock.
Basically I am looking for a simple Webcam with infra-red option or a webcam without infra-red filter.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Ali
by SirLagz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:53 am
DealExtreme has an IR webcam. They have a thread on the forums which has a link to an IR webcam.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044
by gordon77 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:59 am
I thought most webcams will see if if you remove the filter. But you will need an ir source eg ir LEDs to see anything.

Gordon77
by redhawk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:56 am

How exactly are you damaging your webcams??

To perform an IR mod you only have to unscrew the lens until it pops out there's no need to open up the webcam itself.
Once the IR glass is removed you only have to screw the lens back in place (use Windows and cam software to help focus it).

At the back of the lens there should be a square piece of glass with a green / pink tint, with other lens this glass maybe protected by a ring of plastic or simply sitting behind the lens.
If the glass is easy to access just get a Stanley blade, a small flat bladed screwdriver or drawing pin and wedge it out.
If the glass sits behind a plastic ring you'll need to cut this out, using a heated knife should help the process but don't burn yourself.

As for recommended webcams this is a tough one considering the on going problems with the USB drivers.
I'm currently using a Camera 808 #3 on the Pi it takes fantastic images and the camera is very simple to modify for IR increased sensitivity.
Have a look on eBay they're usually around 10 quid but it has to be the #3 the other 808 camera models use different chipsets.
Unfortunately this camera is not without it's own problems see viewtopic.php?f=63&t=34108 for more information and photo samples.
A photo of the lens can be found on http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C3/#lens the IR filter glass actually sits behind the lens not inside it.
For prolong use you should also disconnect the internal battery from the board to prevent over charging.

Richard S.
by alikian » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:57 pm
Thanks for replay
That how I broke webcam
In case of Logitech Webcam C510 sensor damage to pressure for breaking filter, filter attached on sensor, I was following this link http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials ... ebcam.html
And for PS3 eye I broke the main lens while I tried to take sensor off.

My suggestion if you want to do that should be very careful

redhawk wrote:

How exactly are you damaging your webcams??

To perform an IR mod you only have to unscrew the lens until it pops out there's no need to open up the webcam itself.
Once the IR glass is removed you only have to screw the lens back in place (use Windows and cam software to help focus it).

At the back of the lens there should be a square piece of glass with a green / pink tint, with other lens this glass maybe protected by a ring of plastic or simply sitting behind the lens.
If the glass is easy to access just get a Stanley blade, a small flat bladed screwdriver or drawing pin and wedge it out.
If the glass sits behind a plastic ring you'll need to cut this out, using a heated knife should help the process but don't burn yourself.

As for recommended webcams this is a tough one considering the on going problems with the USB drivers.
I'm currently using a Camera 808 #3 on the Pi it takes fantastic images and the camera is very simple to modify for IR increased sensitivity.
Have a look on eBay they're usually around 10 quid but it has to be the #3 the other 808 camera models use different chipsets.
Unfortunately this camera is not without it's own problems see viewtopic.php?f=63&t=34108 for more information and photo samples.
A photo of the lens can be found on http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C3/#lens the IR filter glass actually sits behind the lens not inside it.
For prolong use you should also disconnect the internal battery from the board to prevent over charging.

Richard S.
by alikian » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:58 pm
That's correct you need to remove filter first and is not easy as it sounds like.
IR LED is not a problem
gordon77 wrote:I thought most webcams will see if if you remove the filter. But you will need an ir source eg ir LEDs to see anything.

Gordon77
by alikian » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:13 pm
IR webcam is not available in DealExtreme site anymore
SirLagz wrote:DealExtreme has an IR webcam. They have a thread on the forums which has a link to an IR webcam.
by redhawk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 pm
I would avoid hacking branded webcams they tend to be rather well constructed.
The cheap and naff eBay sold Chinese webcam would be your best bet that is if they work on the Pi

The follow webcam should be fairly easy to hack unfortunately the maximum working resolution is 384x288 it always corrupts at 640x480 until the USB drivers get sorted out.

[edit: the USB problem has been fixed (new firmware) the camera can capture stable 640x480 images]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-C016-We ... 000Q3VECE/
Ignore the 5M it's marketing bull the imagine sensor is only 640x480 they're referring to 5mega pixel software interpolation (a bit like watching VCD movies on a HD monitor expecting HD quality). :lol:

As you can see from the photo I have unscrewed the lens the IR filter glass sits at the back in a small square recess, you'll only need to pivot this with a knife or safety pin and it should come out.

Despite the overrated specifications the image quality and white balancing is actually pretty good for a 10 quid webcam.

Richard S.
Last edited by redhawk on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
by pluggy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:54 pm
You'll probably find any webcam will see in the IR if you illuminate what you want to see with IR LEDS. Stick a 2 dioptre lens from a broken pair of reading glasses over the lens if you want it in focus......

Point your camera on your phone at the business led of a TV remote when you press the buttons if you want confirmation.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
by pokmis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 am
Does anyone know how to turn the USB Webcam IR LEDs On/Off?

I have the same model webcam as referenced by redhawk which has 6 LEDs built in. I'm trying to figure out how to turn them on for the Raspberry Pi.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

redhawk wrote:I would avoid hacking branded webcams they tend to be rather well constructed.
The cheap and naff eBay sold Chinese webcam would be your best bet that is if they work on the Pi

The follow webcam should be fairly easy to hack unfortunately the maximum working resolution is 384x288 it always corrupts at 640x480 until the USB drivers get sorted out.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-C016-We ... 000Q3VECE/
Ignore the 5M it's marketing bull the imagine sensor is only 640x480 they're referring to 5mega pixel software interpolation (a bit like watching VCD movies on a HD monitor expecting HD quality). :lol:

As you can see from the photo I have unscrewed the lens the IR filter glass sits at the back in a small square recess, you'll only need to pivot this with a knife or safety pin and it should come out.

Despite the overrated specifications the image quality and white balancing is actually pretty good for a 10 quid webcam.

Richard S.