2nd Egham Raspberry Jam - 14th April 2013

43 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by winkleink » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:31 am
Tickets are now available for the 2nd Egham Raspberry Jam - 14th April 2:00-5:00

http://eghamraspberryjamapril.eventbrite.com

The good news is the the capacity has been increased to 70 (we had 50 registrations last time)
Age limit reduced to 8 and over with under 16s accompanied by an adult.

It would be great if you are attending if you posted here to say what you are interested in so we can try to ensure you get what you want fro the Jam.

If you are showing it would be a good idea to bring an extension lead as power sockets are limited so extensions may be required.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink
by winkleink » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:53 pm
20 registrations so far.
We have an offer of a short presentation on using version control services for your code.

Also, a call out. Is there anybody who knows QT or how to create GPU accelerated 2d interfaces for media centres.

Also, if you are attending post what you want from the Jam so others can share and connect.
by winkleink » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:09 am
As of today 26 have registered for the Jam which is great.
It would be brilliant if a few people were up for sharing what they have done with their Raspberry Pi already.
From the first Egham Jam the experience of the people who attended was very broad so projects that a beginner can tackle would be ideal as well as the more complex and mad things.

If you are up for sharing then just send me a private message or post on the forum.
Also, if you have thoughts on what you would like to get from the Jam share those as well.

The more specific we are on what we are looking to do the more likely it is to happen.

Albert.
by NathanBookham » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:14 am
I was hoping to demo the Minecraft Python API with GPIO accessories, but I do not have a compatible display that I can transport over to Egham to display Minecraft. I can't use Minecraft over RDP, but I'll demo some GPIO stuff working together (LEDs, Buttons, LCD display, PIR sensor, Ultrasonic sensor etc).
I wouldn't mind showing how to get people started using Python and GPIO, I don't want to do a presentation as the majority of Pi owners know how to interface, but if anybody would like some info I'd be more than happy to help. I might also bring along some printouts for people to take home.

Can't wait to see some more awesome projects!
This account is now inactive.
I am now known as 'InverseSandwich'
by winkleink » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 am
NathanBookham wrote:I was hoping to demo the Minecraft Python API with GPIO accessories, but I do not have a compatible display that I can transport over to Egham to display Minecraft. I can't use Minecraft over RDP, but I'll demo some GPIO stuff working together (LEDs, Buttons, LCD display, PIR sensor, Ultrasonic sensor etc).
I wouldn't mind showing how to get people started using Python and GPIO, I don't want to do a presentation as the majority of Pi owners know how to interface, but if anybody would like some info I'd be more than happy to help. I might also bring along some printouts for people to take home.

Hi Nathan,
I am bringing a 19" monitor quick works for Minecraft. It sounds like what you want to show is more interesting than mine so it's there for you to use.
Alternatively, there are 2 big screens in te room that will work too. I will bring long some HDMI cables.

See you in 2 weeks.

Albert.

Albert
by NathanBookham » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:08 am
winkleink wrote:
NathanBookham wrote:I was hoping to demo the Minecraft Python API with GPIO accessories, but I do not have a compatible display that I can transport over to Egham to display Minecraft. I can't use Minecraft over RDP, but I'll demo some GPIO stuff working together (LEDs, Buttons, LCD display, PIR sensor, Ultrasonic sensor etc).

Hi Nathan,
I am bringing a 19" monitor quick works for Minecraft. It sounds like what you want to show is more interesting than mine so it's there for you to use.
Alternatively, there are 2 big screens in te room that will work too. I will bring long some HDMI cables.

See you in 2 weeks.

Albert.

Albert

I've kind of abandoned my Minecraft demo, I might come back to it, but I've been working with other stuff. The ultrasonic sensor I ordered *should* be coming today, but with royal mail, you never know when something is going to arrive. I've already written the code without it (using it's datasheets), so if all goes to plan I should just be able to plug it in.
by winkleink » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 pm
It's looking good for the 14th.
About 60 registered with a week to go. There will be Big Traks, stepper motor controlling, Scratch controlled GPIO, LEDs doing fun things, Minecraft coding and a bunch more.

If you're attending let us know what you wish to get from the day and it's. More likely to happen.
I'm planning to have a joystick controlled vehicle that costs less than £5 to make (excluding the Pi of course).

Albert.
by mikado » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:59 pm
Hi everyone,
I have just registered with your forum and I am going to buy a Pi when Farnell get the kit in.
However I have just read about your "Egham Jam" and I think I will find it very interesting.
However you don't say which Egham it is. I am hoping it is Egham Surrey as I live quite close by. Also you don't say whereabouts in Egham is it being held.
I would be grateful if some one could tell me
Thanks
Iolanthe
by liz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:15 pm
Hello G&S fan: yes, it's that Egham. Have fun!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by winkleink » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:44 pm
Liz, thanks for replying.
The full details and the address are on the Eventbrite registration page.
It's at the Gartner office on The Glanty.

As of now there are only 7 registrations left.
by winkleink » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 pm
Here's hoping the Egham Raspberry Jam goes as well as the Milton Keynes one http://t.co/U0At2zBsFy

I attended a couple of Milton Keynes Jams before setting up the first Egham Jam.

There are a few people I know of bringing things to show but I expect there are even more that be a surprise to me on the day.

That's the pleasure of a Jam. There are always new things to see and learn.
by NathanBookham » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 am
With 65 people registered, it's looking set to be a JAM-packed event (excuse the pun!).
by LeoWhite » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:35 am
Hi,

I'll be bringing my BigTrak's along again (One with rockets, one with Robot Arm). Hopefully both will be working this time! I'll also try and finish off a bit more of my How-To-Guide, at least the section detailing how to fire the rockets (http://www.mybigideas.co.uk/RPi/BigTrak/)

I can also bring along my Rasperry Pi running RISC OS if anyone is interested in seeing that?

Leo
by Burngate » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 am
LeoWhite wrote:...I can also bring along my Rasperry Pi running RISC OS if anyone is interested in seeing that?

Yes - anything interesting you're doing with it?
I'm hoping to make a christmas decoration with mine, but a couple of things from AdaFruit haven't managed to get swim the Atlantic yet. Hopefully there'll be a Jam between now and December I can bring it along.
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by LeoWhite » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 am
Burngate wrote:
LeoWhite wrote:...I can also bring along my Rasperry Pi running RISC OS if anyone is interested in seeing that?

Depends what you consider interesting :)

I have written a 'Simon Says' style game in BBC Basic, with three buttons and lights connected via the GPIO pins. So that may be useful as a demonstration of how to drive the GPIO pins (something else I need to add to my website!)

Leo
by NathanBookham » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:29 pm
LeoWhite wrote:
Burngate wrote:

Depends what you consider interesting :)

I have written a 'Simon Says' style game in BBC Basic, with three buttons and lights connected via the GPIO pins. So that may be useful as a demonstration of how to drive the GPIO pins (something else I need to add to my website!)

Leo

Sounds great! I've used RISC OS a bit on the Pi, but I didn't know how to use GPIO in basic.
This sounds interesting! :D
by robinjoo1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 pm
can it be in the netherlands plz :?:
by winkleink » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 pm
robinjoo1 wrote:can it be in the netherlands plz :?:

Sorry - not this time. Why not start your own.
Even a pub meet would be a good start.
by robinjoo1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm
hwo do you meen a hangout :?:
by winkleink » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:55 pm
robinjoo1 wrote:hwo do you meen a hangout :?:

Yes, just post that you will be somewhere and see if others will turn up.
A really simple way to get something started.
If no one turns up then you get some time to yourself to focus on your Raspberry Pi stuff.

A Raspberry Jam doesn't have to be a big event.
by PontyberryPi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:56 pm
Any chance someone could demonstrate using a Pi to interface and take readings from an analogue device ?

I'd be very interested to see a device that can detect impact or vibrations.

Something like :

Piezo Vibration Sensor - Large - SparkFun Electronics
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9196

Piezoelectric sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectric_sensor

I appreciate the Jam is just a few days away, so if someone has done something along these lines, maybe we could just have a chat about it with anyone else that is interested, so there is no need to prepare anything.

Thanks
by Ste123 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 pm
Hi,

I have been trying to replicate an http://airpi.es/ and I am part way there, I will bring what I have so far along if anyone is interested.

>> Any chance someone could demonstrate using a Pi to interface and take readings from an analogue device ?
>> I'd be very interested to see a device that can detect impact or vibrations.

It has an A2D as the sensors are mostly analogue. Just thinking about vibration sensors...could I add a seismometer.........:)

Stephen
by winkleink » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:51 am
PontyberryPi wrote:Any chance someone could demonstrate using a Pi to interface and take readings from an analogue device ?

I'd be very interested to see a device that can detect impact or vibrations.

Something like :

Piezo Vibration Sensor - Large - SparkFun Electronics
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9196

Piezoelectric sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectric_sensor

I appreciate the Jam is just a few days away, so if someone has done something along these lines, maybe we could just have a chat about it with anyone else that is interested, so there is no need to prepare anything.

Thanks

I found this page on the forum [url]http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14093&p=146643&#p146643[/url]
It details using a MCP3004 over I2C for A2D conversion.
The instructions look very clear.
The MCP3004 has 4 analog inputs. There is an alternative with 8 inputs.

After doing a quick ebay search they are available as either just the IC or on a board.
by RobertSprigge » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:54 am
I'll be demonstrating simulations of Traffic Lights and a Parking sensor. Following the interest at the recent Milton Keynes Jam these have been made into a single kit of components, which doesn't require soldering. The kit includes a display stand. Being in a single kit this is the easiest and quickest way to experience the capabilities of the GPIO port.

With the objective of learning these programs are fully documented for you to alter, expand and do what you will with them.

These kits will be available for purchase, details from our website. HDMI -DVI cables will also be available.

http://www.emergentvalue.co.uk/wordpress/egham/
by winkleink » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:18 pm
I have 2 stepper motors controlled using python. Now to do something with them for the Jam.
Planning USB joystick control.