Pisx

21 posts
by kenshen » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:45 pm
So I have a broken play station 1 that my brother wants to play some old games on can i mod the pi to read old psx disc's and memory cards? Also can I mod the pi to use old and ds1 controller?
by LemmeFatale » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:41 am
I'm unsure as to whether the currently-available PlayStation emulators for the Raspberry Pi support external CD-ROM drives, in addition to their default state of reading the games from rips created from your own game-discs.

That said, there are plentiful supplies of USB adapters out there for hooking up PlayStation controllers to computers, so one or two of those should solve that part of the problem. I'd imagine that you could find some way of connecting the controllers to the Raspberry Pi's GPIO pins, too, but the USB adapter struck me as the path of least resistance, there. :P

As far as memory cards go, I just had a look around and found these schematics for creating a reader for them, and this accompanying source code for managing the contents of the cards on Linux-based machines. There seems to be some accompanying documentation relating to how PlayStation memory cards function, also, on the page with the schematic. I do not know if the code will compile and work correctly on a Raspberry Pi, though, and I don't know how you would get it to work with an emulator (though you can certainly read in existing cards and use the resultant image-files with an emulator, I'm sure that that's not ideal in this case). Still, it should at least provide a starting point, I hope!

I'm afraid I don't have any further information or suggestions, but I hope that my post has been useful. Good luck, and please keep us posted!
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box
by kenshen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:17 am
Yeah i totally will!
by kenshen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:09 pm
Hey interesting question the controller memory card reader of the psx has a white cable that can plug into the black slots on the pi is this possible with drivers?
by LemmeFatale » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:38 pm
I'm afraid I don't know - I'm not really inclined toward hardware-hacking, really. :P
by noob » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:07 pm
memory cards for ps1 have 9 pins, sd cards too, if you search for a layout of both and screw an sd adapter open,you can connect the pins.
by kenshen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:13 pm
Oh nice... But is it possible to work with the ps1 reader like that?
by kenshen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:41 pm
Sorry for double post does anyone know how to get Edit : Sound out of pcsx rearmed? The game I'm working with is legend of dragoon and i can get full screen it auto selects alsa driver i can get static noise out of my speaker. When i use sdl sound driver i get no sound help?
by kenshen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:17 pm
So i have decided to go the gpio pin route with the controller by ordering some female to female jumper wires i will be using a ps2 controller and will write back when it work but seriously can anyone help me with my audio issue? as i cant seem to figure it out... all i get is static noise
by LemmeFatale » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 pm
Do you have sound in other programs, at all? (And are you using HDMI or the 3.5mm port for audio?)

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm wondering if it might be the issue that several other threads have mentioned, where PulseAudio (drivers which, in this case, have been observed to cause issues) needs to be removed? (Can anyone who has had this issue provide any input, please? I don't want to go posting commands that won't help!)
by kenshen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 pm
i can't get audio out of hdmi i get it through the jack...
by welshy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:14 pm
kenshen & LemmeFatale

SOUND - You should AVOID using Analogue sound if at all possible as it represents a SERIOUS overhead for RPi performance! If you are getting graphics though HDMI but NOT sound Open a Terminal and Type -
sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Now under DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2
Delete the “#”
hdmi_drive=2
(This will force sound to HDMI)

Now press Ctrl+x, y to Change the Settings, Enter to Save then Type -
sudo reboot
Hopefully you should now have sound through HDMI!

PULSEAUDIO - Is one of the latest Linux “Drivers” for sound and is the “Default” as of 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian. However, many applications DONT provide for it (Most use ALSA, SDL or OSS) which can cause NO SOUND or the program to CRASH (AdvMAME being a case in point), I have also noticed omxplayer requires 128MEG for the GPU with Pulse Audio instead of 64MEG with ALSA. To remove Pulse Audio Open a Terminal and Type -

sudo apt-get --purge remove pulseaudio
With Pulse Audio removed the “Default” sound will revert to ALSA

PCSX ReARMED - The NO SOUND issue COULD alternatively be attributed to the version you have download. If it is a Binary the “user” who compiled it may not have included the Option to address Sound (It’s a compile “Option” requirement and is NOT included by Default). To include sound on compiling from Source, Open a Terminal and Type -
./configure --sound-drivers=sdl

One Last Thing
If you are using a lot of Emulators I would suggest using 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian. If your RPi is of the 512MEG variety this Image WONT address the extra 256MEG, BUT, this makes NO DIFFERENCE when using ANY Emulator I have tried (Although if you are compiling from Source in certain instances it will run out of memory e.g. Mednafen-0.9.24 W.I.P ). However, this disadvantage is FAR outweighed by the Performance Increase (10-50% depending on the Emulator!)

Hope That Helps!
by kenshen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:30 pm
I have sound! Crystal clear to thank you! Now to wait for those cables and wire the ps2 controller in
by welshy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:32 pm
kenshen
What was the problem/issue?
by kenshen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:01 pm
The sound device needed to be set to hdmi I'm actually going to re flash to the older version of raspbian now as I've heard it recommended like 5 times now when I have something running I'll share a video
by kenshen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:17 am
So here's a little status report: The controller cables should be in tomorrow in the mean time i've been testing some game i pcsx rearmed
Games I tested using the unai graphics plugin:
Legend of the dragoon flawless slight slowdown on first dart dragon scene

Silent Hill: Strange graphical glitch surrounding each of the characters in game fmv's play perfectly and game play's perfectly glitch not visible at night.

Metal Gear solid: Quite a few glitch's with this one game run and plays perfectly with perfect audio fmv's are horrifying and in vr mission 10 craw space glitch's out if snake is facing completely straight if snake is facing slight side ways or completely sideways tunnel is visible can be crawled through other wise.
by kenshen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:47 pm
So I have another question well... And two questions

Q1. Does anyone have a calendar layout for the ps2 controller? I mean where one the pi gpio ports do the cables I attached to the ps2 controller go?

And q2 does anybody have a guide to autostart pcsx
by kenshen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:31 pm
So I got ps2 controller working except analog which I will fix soon working on emulationstation right now
by kenshen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:23 pm
Sorry for so many questions does anybody know how to change the default pcsx plugins in emulation station?
by kenshen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:53 am
Keeping thread alive emulation station still doesn't work and i believe i promised a video :)
by bushrat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:36 am
I not sure about getting a CD-ROM reader working, but getting a DS1 gamepad going is really easy, and you DON'T need to buy anything (sort of).

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15787

This post includes an little bit of software that allows you too hook up all sorts of gamepads to the Pi's GPIO pins, and the DS1 is particularly easy because all you need to do is get a jumper cable (a wire) from 6 pins on the DS1 to 6 pins on the GPIO.

Really simple and fun, and PCSX-Rearmed works fine for me, although you should probably overclock your Pi to 900Mhz or so.

Good luck with your endeavours, heck if you've still got the broken PS1 you could use its controller ports with your pi to make plugging in the controllers easier :D