complete dope needs help

17 posts
by Prettygrim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:29 pm
hi all. as from what i can see, the 'Absolute Beginner' topic is closed now, i hope it's ok to post here for the help i need, and boy, do i need help! if ever there were an 'Absolute Beginner', i am he!
anyway, this is what i have.
got the new version 'B' Pi with 512mg ram, got the power plug and cable, got the hdmi cable, got a usb hub, got a 16gb sdhc Sandisk class 10 card and did the windows install for raspbmc, which as far as i can see has used about 50mb of a 70mb partition, leaving the rest untouched. now the fun starts. i dont have a 20foot ethernet cable, i do have a little wireless dongle. that came with a mini wireless keyboard and touch pad i got with an android dongle (which dont work!). i dont have a usb keyboard or usb mouse. so first questions are, can i go ahead and connect everything up to the tv? will the bits i have be recognised and be useable or must i get the ethernet cable, the usb mouse and the usb keyboard before i can do anything?
did say i was the absolute beginner and the 'beginners info' posts i have read dont give this info or at least, i haven't seen it. so, a massive plea for help, please people

TIA
by joan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:32 pm
Sorry. It may be possible but I've always needed at least a keyboard and screen to configure a Pi.
by Prettygrim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:41 pm
i understand the comment about the keyboard and assume you mean a usb keyboard? am a bit confused about the screen, though. the tv is the screen, isn't it or am i missing something else?
by toxibunny » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 pm
The TV is the screen. :)

As for the rest, I dunno. It may be possible for someone who knows Linux to set up the wireless and SSH on another machine without needing a keyboard and Ethernet cable for the pi.

On the other hand, maybe things have changed, and it's all there by default nowadays. I doubt it though. You're probably going to at least need a USB keyboard if you aren't a wizard or whatever...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by toxibunny » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:09 pm
Why not just try it out? You'll probably get to the 'raspi config' setup screen, which will at least confirm that your pi and SD card are okay... :)
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by Zhirgoyt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:35 pm
SSH won't be enabled by default so using SSH to get in and navigate around probable won't work. I would wait until you have the keyboard, but worst case scenario would be that you would have to leave the Pi on at the config-screen until you can plug it in, so go ahead. :lol:
by rurwin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:55 pm
SSH is enabled by default, at least on the more recent releases of Raspbian.

If you have a router with a DHCP server, it is easy to configure a Pi without a keyboard. The hardest part is finding out its IP address. If you have a screen, then the IP address is displayed just above the login prompt.

You'll need to install an ssh client on your other computer, for example "putty" on Windows.
by Prettygrim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:19 pm
tnx to all for replies. going by the info given, looks to me like the best option is to get a usb keyboard and mouse to begin with. sorry if sounding repetitive but will i be able to set up/use the mini wireless keyboard/touch pad after the initial usb stuff?

will the wifi dongle work straight away or is that option only possible after initial set up with ethernet cable? if cable is a must have to start with, no idea where i'm gonna get one long enough
by rurwin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:26 pm
The Wireless keyboard may work, but we can't tell you for sure. If it takes too much current or it uses non-standard drivers, then it isn't going to work. If it takes a minimum of current and it's a standard USB HID, then it will work.

I'm no expert on WiFi, but I understand that many WiFi adapters work without any downloading. You do need to do configuration to get them working though, if only to tell the Pi your SSID.

My advice would be to put off buying any stuff until you can experiment with your Pi. That might mean you have your Pi for a day or two before you can use it properly, but you wont waste money on stuff you don't need.
by Prettygrim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:30 pm
tnx guys. i'll try to borrow usb bits and go from there. if afterwards i can get the wireless stuff working, then great. appreciate the help
by TrevorAppleton » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:12 pm
Hello, I have written a blog post on how to remotely find your raspberry Pi IP address.

http://trevorappleton.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... dress.html

and a second one explaining how to SSH into your raspberry Pi from a remote computer. SSH is activated by default.

http://trevorappleton.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ry-pi.html

Hope these help you :-)
Check out my blog post for Raspberry Pi and Python tutorials.

http://trevorappleton.blogspot.co.uk/
by Prettygrim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm
many tnx, Trevor. will see if i can manage to learn from your posts. your help is appreciated.
by TrevorAppleton » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:25 am
I just hope I can help. The purpose of my blogs is to pass on some of the knowledge I have picked up in the last year. If there are any topics you would like me to cover in my blogs let me know and I will see what I can do. Nothing is too trivial!
Check out my blog post for Raspberry Pi and Python tutorials.

http://trevorappleton.blogspot.co.uk/
by Prettygrim » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 am
tnx for the offer. i am sure there will be loads i wont be able to do. a friend has offered to assist me, but no one knows it all, so am sure we will both be after assistance.

as an example, he streams videos through his pi (set as a server somehow. beyond me) to his TV. we know it wont stream mkv files but should stream mp4. have read that using 'Handbrake' for conversions from mkv to mp4 works well. do you think it will work for him? no way! he tried a couple of other progs with other video files, same result. yet a downloaded mp4 file streams through the pi no problem. weird! any ideas would be welcome. i would like to be able to tell him something in return for him helping me, passing on credit, of course
by ghans » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:22 pm
Perhaps remuxing is enough ?
PS3MediaServer seems to support that.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Davejohnson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:30 pm
Try "Freemake Video Converter". converts to/from many formats. Have used it to convert mkv to mp4.
by Prettygrim » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:49 pm
tnx for suggestions guys. i use freemake myself for a couple of things and like it a lot. i'll see if he has tried those and what happened