Remote webcam w/o Internet ?

9 posts
by pihaih » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 pm
Hi,
I am totally new to Pi, hoping for some support on my "creative" project. :D
So no matter if your answers will help me - THANKS a lot for reading my questions.

Here is the challenge:
I own a little house, far away from power grid and high speed internet which I want to monitor with a webcam.
Well, without web, a webcam doesn't make sense, right. However there is an old fashioned phone line which I can use. Simple old analog line, nothing fancy. The only power I have available is a bunch of RV batteries, fed by solar panels through pwr controller..

Here is what I was thinking about...as I am an old fashioned PC guy, but Pi might have better opportunities...
A webcam with motion sensor, storing the pictures on its internal RAM, as long as storage is available. Cam should be connected to a low power PC (Linux?) which usually sleeps and is waken up by a modem call. (WOR / wake on ring).
I thought about dialing into the PC (Teamviewer / VNC ?) to then move the pictures from the cam to the PC. Also I'd like to have a look at some of the pics for sure. Transferring all the pictures through the analog line would be kind of mission impossible, I would grab them at the next visit.

The challenging thing I guess is the "wake up call function" as well as the power supply. If batteries are dead, there is a low voltage cutoff to protect the batteries, PC and cam will just die, no shutdown. Also if power comes back, through solar power, both systems have to reboot.

Reading through some of the posts here it looks promising, however I am dealing with PCs since 1987 but no profound linux know how (yet).

Keen to see what you think about all this.

cheers

P.
by pihaih » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 pm
Well, I couldn't wait...just ordered my first PI.
looking forward to receive it in two weeks.
P.
by ghans » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:54 pm
Is this a real phone line with a telephone ?
Guess you will have to use a modem and NoMachine NX instead of VNC.
I would use a microcontroller to power down the Pi and wake it up via a modem.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by pihaih » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 pm
Yes, there is a real old fashioned phone (-line) and yes I will need a modem for sure, but no clue how to handle this with Pi as I don't see a RS232 port there. The wakeup with the microcontroller sounds logical, but istn't there a way to put Pi into sleep and give it a wakeup w/o additional circuits?
P.
by ghans » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:46 pm
You'll need this adaptor :
http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=3960

Also interesting :
http://raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24682

You will need some kind of external circuitry in any case.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by pihaih » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:07 pm
@ghans
txs
I'll give it a try, as soon as my dead pi is back...
p.
by pihaih » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:00 pm
After quite some time I wanted to restart this project, but the hardware/link ghans suggested is no longer available.
So I am back to square one, where in the meantime I played around with "motion" and a logitech webcam, so I would have a cam with motion detection.
However the main problem remains...how to dial into the PI with an analog modem.
Any help aprecciated
P.
by ghans » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:28 am
I guess this board will work, too :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/HQ-RS232-to-3-3V ... 3f0b50ddee

ghans
by pihaih » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:35 pm
Thanks for the link
I ordered it right away
P.