Why is Raspbian in runlevel 2 by default

5 posts
by DaSt1986 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:13 am
Hi,

Although I'm not the guru I want to be yet, I'm getting more and more advanced in Linux each day by using my Raspberry PI. Today I learned about runlevels, and I'm curious why the default setting of Raspbian is to start in runlevel 2 instead of runlevel 3 (which is the Debian default as far as I know). Although I haven't tried it yet, I know I can just edit the inittab and set runleven 3 as default, I want to know why Raspbian chose to use runlevel 2 by default.

Anyone here who can tell me that?

Kind regards,
Daryl
by rurwin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:26 am
Runlevel 2 has always been the default for text-mode so far as I was aware, but then I've generally stayed away from them since SunOS.

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/runlevels.htm says that 2 is the Debian default, but that other distros use 3.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by remsnet » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:29 am
DaSt1986 wrote:Hi,

Although I'm not the guru I want to be yet, I'm getting more and more advanced in Linux each day by using my Raspberry PI. Today I learned about runlevels, and I'm curious why the default setting of Raspbian is to start in runlevel 2 instead of runlevel 3 (which is the Debian default as far as I know). Although I haven't tried it yet, I know I can just edit the inittab and set runleven 3 as default, I want to know why Raspbian chose to use runlevel 2 by default.

Kind regards,
Daryl

Daryl,
That may so since an PI been an Thin Client.

Just change the default runlevel if you require it.

regards
by DaSt1986 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 am
remsnet wrote:
DaSt1986 wrote:Hi,

Kind regards,
Daryl

Daryl,
That may so since an PI been an Thin Client.

Just change the default runlevel if you require it.

regards

Had nothing to do with requiring it, just wondering and learing.

Thanks everybody!
by rpdom » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 pm
Debian doesn't use the run levels to the extent that many other *ix systems do. By default it always boots into runlevel 2 (Yes, I am talking about the official Debian systems as well as Raspbian. Raspbian is pretty much a normal Debian system, just compiled to run best on the Raspi and with a few extra packages specifically for the Pi.

Other systems may use runlevel 2 as text-mode multi-user, 3 as text-mode multi-user with network, 5 as GUI mode etc, but Debian treats 2, 3, 4 and 5 as identical.

Levels 0, S, 1 and 6 have their normal functions (shutdown, single-user, maintenance and reboot)